Water Taxi Reservations?

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

rich
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Water Taxi Reservations?

Post by rich »

Has anyone been able to make a water taxi reservation this year? I've called at least 10 times over several days and never gotten through. I've also used their online form to submit 2 requests, but haven't received any response.

Can anyone who has been able to get through confirm the phone number for me? I'm using 906-337-4993, which I got from https://www.rockharborlodge.com/water-taxi

I'm 1 month out from my trip and I'm getting anxious.

Thanks!
2018: Feldtmann Lake, Siskiwit Bay, Windigo
2019: Chippewa Harbor, Moskey Basin, West Chickenbone, Rock Harbor
2022: Moskey Basin, Lane Cove
Grandpa
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Re: Water Taxi Reservations?

Post by Grandpa »

Last May, I made a water taxi reservation for next month.

You do have the correct phone number. But there's limited phone service to the island so you have to keep trying; especially during peak season (Now through August). I've sometimes found that if you just keep pressing "redial" on your phone, you can eventually get through - I presume when the person at the lodge hangs up. However, sometimes the phone line goes down & you just have to try again later or the next day.

I think the NPS and concessionaires do a remarkable job considering that they're working on a remote island. We just try to remember that it's not the Hampton Inn!

I hope that helps.
First visit 1982. Last visit August, 2022. Isle Royale is my favorite National Park!
rich
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: Water Taxi Reservations?

Post by rich »

Grandpa - I took your advice and called frequently (about every 5-10 min). I got finally got through after 8 tries. Thanks!

I don't have a reservation yet, but the lady took my info and said I would receive a call back.
2018: Feldtmann Lake, Siskiwit Bay, Windigo
2019: Chippewa Harbor, Moskey Basin, West Chickenbone, Rock Harbor
2022: Moskey Basin, Lane Cove