Sea Hunter III trip canceled, plus a question

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

seeker61
NewbieCake

Sea Hunter III trip canceled, plus a question

Post by seeker61 »

Just heard that my trip for tomorrow morning was cancelled due to mechanical issues :cry:

Does anyone know whether the store at Wendigo sells Esbit fuel? If so, I'm thinking of trying to book one of the seaplanes. C'mon guys, I know you want your trip report! :D
Tortuga
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: Sea Hunter III trip canceled, plus a question

Post by Tortuga »

I didn't see Esbit when I was there, but I wasn't looking for it specifically. Can you take the tabs on the seaplane? Could be better to do that if so. Sorry you're losing a day! That's frustrating.
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

Eat a can of stew for breakfast and use the can to make a twig stove?
seeker61
NewbieCake

Post by seeker61 »

I'm losing more than a day, there aren't any other ferry accomodations because it's peak season. I've read elsewhere on the forum that solid fuel tabs aren't allowed on the seaplane. I may wind up burning twigs in my Esbit stove. (If I get to the island at all, that is.)

The ironic thing is there's lots of partks, etc. on the mainland but I know nothing about then because I had my heart set on IR.
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

I saw the Sea Hunter for the first time at Rock Harbor near the end of June. I guess they were doing a lighthouse tour.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Any word what the problem was and if she's back in service? Don't see anything on their website or FB page.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
seeker61
NewbieCake

Post by seeker61 »

I heard it was an exhaust system clamp. Not sure when it will be back in service, but probably mid week. Not surprised it wasn't publicized by the owners, I have a hard time seeing the benefit for them from doing that.