General Info on MV Sandy

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

mean_ass_raccoon
NewbieCake

General Info on MV Sandy

Post by mean_ass_raccoon »

If we are flying in, EDT from Hancock at 1pm. How concerned do I need to be about making it to Chip Harbor via the WT that day? Staying there.

Does the WT run on a set "route" or schedule, or is it purely reservation based?

Thanks
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: General Info on MV Sandy

Post by Midwest Ed »

The MV Sandy is the concessionaire's tour boat and is separate from the water taxi boats they operate. The MV Sandy operates on fixed schedules while
taxis operate and are dispatched by reservations.

You should be concerned enough to have a Plan B. Part of the enamor and beauty of Isle Royale is that it runs on what many people simply call "Island Time." There is also a things called "Island rules" as in the Island always has the final say about things. Both the time and rules are almost exclusively controlled by the weather. The operators of the on island concessions (i.e. the water taxi and the MV Sandy) and the operators of the commercial ferries and seaplane do a great job of providing the best customer service possible to make up for the curve balls the weather occasionally throws. A little bit of morning fog might delay mainland plane departures by a few minutes or more. Severe weather (waves) can delay (or sometimes rarely cancel) boats on the island. Everyone will do their best to catch up, to get you back on schedule. The water taxi operator will know your plane is delayed and will make appropriate adjustments where possible. They might need to move your time slot around and you would do well to have an alternate plan should the best case scenario bump you into the next day. It's rare but it can happen and backup plans will help you roll with the punches.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
mean_ass_raccoon
NewbieCake

Thanks for the info Midwest Ed! I'm having trouble finding info on anything other than the Sandy. How should I go about reserving a water taxi service? Just call the island in May?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

You can try the number here. Even though it says "Summer" I saw something else that implied they may be answering it now. But you may need to be a little persistent in trying.
https://www.rockharborlodge.com/contact-us
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
chief54
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by chief54 »

Midwest Ed is spot on as usual.I have used the water taxis extensively and seaplane only for leaving the island. Taxis are pretty reliable but very spendy.Just this past summer water taxi was late in picking me up during middle of my trip but no worries, Island time. But on same trip seaplane was delayed by day and half cause of weather. Folks were getting pissed off cause it was nice on island but not at Houghton, oh well. I always add at least a day if not more into my plans mostly because of weather, but once had to wait on Voyaguer due to breakdown. I would try now to get reservations on taxi so you can nail your plans down, but remember if you are delayed by weather getting out there taxis may be all booked up so have a secondary trip figured out.
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times
mean_ass_raccoon
NewbieCake

Is a 16 foot rental boat a realistic option(if price isn't a factor) for two people wanting to just camp around Rock Harbor - Moskey basing for a few nights?
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

mean_ass_raccoon wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:41 am Is a 16 foot rental boat a realistic option(if price isn't a factor) for two people wanting to just camp around Rock Harbor - Moskey basing for a few nights?
Absolutely. Am planning to do something similar this summer in my brother's 16' sailboat--won't be leaving Rock Harbor. Let's you get to the Edison Fishery, RH Light, and the moose boneyard (about 1/4 mile into Moskey Basin). And you can day hike up to Mt Ojibway from Daisy Farm, and Mt Franklin from Three Mile. Weather can still be an issue in Rock Harbor, at times, but much less likely than places outside the harbor.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
bobcat
Bushwacker

Post by bobcat »

Other stuff if you have a boat in Rock Harbor, besides all the stuff Ingo mentioned, includes hiking trails on Mott Island and Rasberry Island, hunting Greenstone stones on Tookers Island, Gilbert’s Hole and Lorelei Lane whichcan be stunningly beautiful if the weather is calm, and the boat allows access to Caribou Island and Tookers Island campsites.

One catch is the weather dependent rental issue. If Lake Superior is under any type of advisory, they do not rent boats. Period. Regardless of reservations. So if renting a boat is plan b, also have a plan c.