Copper Harbor lodging

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

MarjiGesick
NewbieCake

Copper Harbor lodging

Post by MarjiGesick »

My family is leaving from Copper Harbor in mid July. Any suggestions on a good place to stay the night before we catch the ferry? I'd love a place with beds and a shower since those will be lacking for the next 10 days after. I know I'm late to make a reservation, but I figured this would be the best place to start my late search.
Stay safe everyone
Thanks
Chris
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Copper Harbor lodging

Post by Ingo »

A lot of folks stay at the Bella Vista or King Copper, both are reasonably priced, convenient, and will send you back in time a few decades or more (a plus for me). I've stayed at each one once and both work fine--I liked the Bella Vista a little better, but the King Copper was a bigger room. Note that Copper Harbor does not have cell service, but does have internet. And give yourself time to drive up Brockway Mt--on a clear day you can see Isle Royale.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
MarjiGesick
NewbieCake

Post by MarjiGesick »

Great I'll check those out.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I second John's suggestions. There are also a couple of other similar accommodations but I have not tried them. There are also several B&B or other rentals in the area that typically require a 3 to 7 night minimum but can sometimes be had for one night when booked at the last minute.

Even though I would like to keep the Keweenaw a secret all to myself, I must suggest (if you have the extra time or can make some extra time) that you investigate some more of what the Keweenaw area or even just the Copper Harbor area (Google "Estivant Pines") has to offer. I've talked to several and observed many that simply rush to the Isle Royale Queen in Copper Harbor or the Ranger in Houghton and end up racing by some of the most outstanding history, wonderful outdoors and even interesting geology in America. At the very least when travel from Calumet on US-41, at Phoenix turn left and take the state highway M-26 to Copper Harbor instead of US-41. The turn off to Brockway is on M-26 as well. Here's a drone view of Brockway. The south facing cliffs of the Keweenaw are a geologic mirror image of the north facing cliffs on Isle Royale.
Brockway Mt.
Brockway Mt.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Midwest Ed wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:01 pm I second John's suggestions. There are also a couple of other similar accommodations but I have not tried them. There are also several B&B or other rentals in the area that typically require a 3 to 7 night minimum but can sometimes be had for one night when booked at the last minute.

Even though I would like to keep the Keweenaw a secret all to myself, I must suggest (if you have the extra time or can make some extra time) that you investigate some more of what the Keweenaw area or even just the Copper Harbor area (Google "Estivant Pines") has to offer. I've talked to several and observed many that simply rush to the Isle Royale Queen in Copper Harbor or the Ranger in Houghton and end up racing by some of the most outstanding history, wonderful outdoors and even interesting geology in America. At the very least when travel from Calumet on US-41, at Phoenix turn left and take the state highway M-26 to Copper Harbor instead of US-41. The turn off to Brockway is on M-26 as well. Here's a drone view of Brockway. The south facing cliffs of the Keweenaw are a geologic mirror image of the north facing cliffs on Isle Royale.
2020-04-14_18-41-11.png
Cool picture of Brockway Mtn, a birding hotspot.
MarjiGesick
NewbieCake

Post by MarjiGesick »

Thanks a lot folks.