MSR Fuel Canister on seaplane?

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

fseitz
NewbieCake

MSR Fuel Canister on seaplane?

Post by fseitz »

Hi there,

I'm planning a trip in September with my boyfriend, and we're taking a seaplane from GP>RH. I read online that you can't take fuel canisters on the airplane? Does anyone know if this is the case, and if so, will they have canisters available for purchase once we arrive to RH?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
chief54
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Re: MSR Fuel Canister on seaplane?

Post by chief54 »

Yon can not take fuel canisters on plane assuming plane will be allowed to fly which I doubt and the store does sell them, but since the store along with all other concessions services are closed for the 2020 season it is a moot point. See the IR website
https://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/conditions.htm
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

https://isleroyaleseaplanes.com/nps-clarification/
Note that they say "We will coordinate the positioning of camp fuel to the island for our customers" near the end. I'm sure they'll work out the details (type of fuel, location) with you before you fly.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
chief54
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by chief54 »

Miissed that one Ingo thanks
First visit at age 8 in 1963 numerous times since then,last visit 2021, 30+ times
Spyder1
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Spyder1 »

Took the seaplane over last May and they have fuel on the Island as I remember you pay for it before leaving the mainland and it’s handed to you upon your arrival very convenient set up now I just hope it all works out have a reservation in September
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Outside of a covid year — the two stores on the island do carry fuel. Stop by and buy a can before you hit the trail. They’ve always had plenty when I have been there.

Here is a video showing what the Windigo store has to offer: https://youtu.be/1r2_k8f3p-w

During covid like ingo said they will arrange for a fuel canister to be available.
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

Also worth noting, the Ranger stations at both Rock Harbor and Windigo tend to build up a stash of both full and partial fuel canisters, and it is not uncommon to find them in shelters too as people leaving the island via the seaplane leave them behind.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Yea before we flew out we found some hikers that just got to the island the night before and they gladly took our partial can. Pretty easy to find partials or halfsies if you wander near the dock in the morning.
grandrapidsjack
NewbieCake

Post by grandrapidsjack »

Knowing that the stores would be closed, I asked a ranger about fuel availability for those that would take the sea plane.
I was assured that the park service would make fuel available, but was given no details.