Sea kayak

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Re: Sea kayak

Post by Capt Don »

treeplanter wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:23 am Only suggestion I have is to hire somebody to take you. I'm sure you can find somebody in Grand Marais who might do it. Maybe even in Copper Harbor from the Michigan side. I have no idea what the Park Service would say. But this is America, and there's no stopping folks from making a buck.
What part of YOU CAN"T DO THAT is so hard for people to accept? Selling crack could probably "make a buck" as well, I hardly think you would suggest that. None of the operators wanted to see what this season has become and we, for one, very strongly considered reopening with limited trips and capacities and were ready to do so. Due to the park having very limited staff on the island it was just something that wasn't meant to be and there was no way it was going to happen.
Private boats can go to the island, Tom summed it up well and very accurately. This year is extra concerning with Covid, they cannot take passengers, and yes that includes "friends" to the island. It was discussed at length during the numerous conference calls between the park and ferry operators and the park rangers will take action on any foolish enough to try and make a buck. Virtually all of the boats that come from Grand Portage are trailer boats and have no room or attachment points to take extra people or sea kayaks safely. It would really suck to have you kayak damaged and or ruined as a result of trying to get it on a vessel that had no business trying. That would leave you with a wasted vacation, ruined boat and out a bunch of money. Yes, they have no commercial insurance to cover such a loss, so it's on you.
I understand the frustration that Covid has left us all with, I spent a bunch of money and reworked a boat and equipment, months of research and planning and outfitted myself for a couple weeks in the NWT this spring, my first vacation in over 10 years. It can't happen and I am disappointed as hell. If things work out and the timing is right with work I can give it a go next spring. We all need to be realistic about what we will and will not be able to do this year and most of all, where we will be able to do it. Isle Royale, just like Canada or Europe is probably not on the list for most so we regroup and look towards next year, not get ourselves or others in trouble obsessing about finding ways, most unsafe or illegal to get there.

I
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Bobcat1 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:18 pmI’ve thought about that, and it might work if the seaplane co will take excess baggage for a fee. They have a weight limit that would allow a backpack, but not my feathercraft folding kayak, and you would still need all your camping gear, food, etc plus kayak safety gear. Or maybe you could just buy two tickets?
Since I see that Capt. Don seems to be following this conversation, I'm asking what U.S Postal regulations/limits he follows. From what I've read, maximum length plus girth is 108 inches but Retail Ground (??) allows up to 130 inches. Both limit weight to 70 pounds. It sounds though like the Voyageur might not be currently making any trips. Anyway, it would be nice to know the limitations both now and when things are "normal".

The fold-able sea kayak I found by "random" search was 115 inches total girth plus length and 36 pounds (without packaging).
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

My kayak plus paddles plus safety gear including pfd and wetsuit in the duffel is 56 pounds. My camping gear regardless of mode of transport is gonna be 35 pounds, or more once I fill up the water bottles, for a week or so solo.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
Dogger
NewbieCake

Post by Dogger »

I paddled the Keweenaw Water Trail the end of june. Spent 14 days on the trip. You could do it quicker but I was not in a hurry. I got there map and stayed on state land, primitive camping. Went out to Manitou Island and stayed for 3 nights. It is 3 miles out to the island, the map talks about a current I did not notice it. Not the same as going to IR but a nice trip.
Dogger