Pontoon boat

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

Emceekenzie
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Pontoon boat

Post by Emceekenzie »

I’m thinking about taking a 25’ pontoon boat over from Grand Portage to Windigo. I plan on having a kicker onboard. I understand that the weather can change in an instant, but if I pick my day, I think it will be ok. Has anyone seen pontoon boats around the island?
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Pontoon boat

Post by johnhens »

Emceekenzie wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:01 pm I’m thinking about taking a 25’ pontoon boat over from Grand Portage to Windigo. I plan on having a kicker onboard. I understand that the weather can change in an instant, but if I pick my day, I think it will be ok. Has anyone seen pontoon boats around the island?
I have not. Do you have a good VHF and at least a GPS? Compass?
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I can't say I have, but most of the pontoons purchased in the upper midwest are not the coastal designs that have larger and thicker floats designed for larger waters. I do hope this is something you've been planning for a bit, and it's not the result of ferry services being suspended.
Emceekenzie
NewbieCake

Post by Emceekenzie »

I do have VHF radio, handheld. And the boat will have GPS, possibly sonar. Not a quick reaction to the ferry schedule change. This would be next summer. I have boat camped there many times, but never with a pontoon. I know a deep v hull always does better in big seas, I’m just trying to pick the best day to make a crossing, and then work my way up to rock harbor. Plans might change in 12 months, just trying to get a consensus from other boaters. Thanks for the responses!
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

It would be interesting, for sure. I think wind (and how pontoons just love to glide sideways) might be an issue if near the shore, of course, but being careful is what it's about.
I've often thought some day about bringing out a Grumman square stern Sportboat/canoe to the Isle. Not entirely practical to portage, and I wouldn't mount a motor for the trip, but the option to paddle, row, or sail would be fun. Honestly, having rowed mine in some pretty big water, it's amazing how stable that boat is... Blake Point, here I come.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Tom wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:38 pm It would be interesting, for sure. I think wind (and how pontoons just love to glide sideways) might be an issue if near the shore, of course, but being careful is what it's about.
I've often thought some day about bringing out a Grumman square stern Sportboat/canoe to the Isle. Not entirely practical to portage, and I wouldn't mount a motor for the trip, but the option to paddle, row, or sail would be fun. Honestly, having rowed mine in some pretty big water, it's amazing how stable that boat is... Blake Point, here I come.
I have one of these and they are suuuper stable but I dont think I would take her on big water :) Seriously though I can stand in them under power and be fine. I do it all the time scouting on the flats for ducks.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Previous commenters all have made good points especially as Tom asks, what is the construction durability of the flotation system? I still have several questions. It is dual or tri flotation? I have seen reports of pontoon boats flipping in moderately rough seas. You did not mention how well powered your vessel is equipped. Dual engines would be superior to a small "kicker". Can you "plane" rather than just "push"? What is your top cruising speed on flat water? What is your fuel capacity or rather range (might you need to augment it)? If the seas became unexpectedly just modestly rough (1 to 2 ft) what does your speed reduce to and does your fuel capacity allow for that? Boils down to expected and worst case transit times. The longer the transit time becomes then the greater is the risk in relying on weather forecast. What's your "limp home" time from 1/2 way on the smaller kicker (and under potentially heavier seas)? Also, transiting from Windigo to Rock Harbor could offer more waiting time than initially from or to Minnesota, even if you select the south shore route with more "safe harbor" locations. I'm estimating you've thought about these things but it's more difficult to offer an opinion without knowing more.

Additional safety features could be added. Definitely on my list would be a marine EPIRB. Is this trip just you or how large is the group? A survival suit could be added (preferably dry). Think about some sort of inflatable rescue raft.

You are 5 feet over the limit for transfer by the NPS Ranger III. A friend of mine and I took his 24 ft RIB from Houghton to Rock Harbor and the Lake was like glass the entire way except for the ore boat wake we missed and it launched the boat airborne.

I did a little research and found this interesting pontoon trek from Superior WI "somewhat along" the southern shores of Lake Superior to Mackinac Island. I think their pontoon setup was a bit more than what I imagine your rig to be. Nonetheless I found it interesting.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Emceekenzie
NewbieCake

Post by Emceekenzie »

Ed, thank you for your thorough response. This is a hypothetical scenario, because it is next summer, so the boat has yet to be purchased. I am looking at 200hp four stoke engines, because the lake I currently live on really requires something at least that powerful. My friend who grew up basically on the Lake Superior always said that it’s foolish to not have a kicker. I’ve looked at twin outboard pontoons, but they are out of my price range. I may end up taking the ranger over and taking my portabote with a 9 hp outboard attached. I feel comfortable using it in rock harbor, down to moskey at least. And if I want to portage, it’s not bad.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Having a blank slate at this time for you is a great advantage for optimizing for big lake use and also whatever else. Since you did not address the issue, a reminder that inland lakes do not allow any motorized vessels. I wonder how would twin 115HP or 90HP suit the various purposes instead of a single 200hp with a small kicker.?

Were I to inclined to enter back into multi-use boating, I always thought my first look would be at a 20 to 24 ft rigid inflatable (or maybe a Boston Whaler) with an enclose-able helm and either a cuddy cabin or other means to enclose a deck surface when moored to provide a sheltered sleeping area. Twenty feet might not be quite long enough. But after watching the video I linked above, a high powered, maybe tri-float, and rugged pontoon construction deserves a look.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013