Transportation from the island

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

jdstuber
NewbieCake

Transportation from the island

Post by jdstuber »

My 18 year old daughter and I are planning a hike from Windigo to Rock Harbor at the beginning of August. We are not sure exactly how long it will take to make the hiuke. We will need to get back to Houghton and are considering a ferry or a float plane. Am I correct that the Ranger III will only run 2 days a week even in peak season? If I was to make a reservation for the ferry, do we have to take it the exact day of the reservation? Say we get back a day early or a day late can we still take the ferry. Same question for the float plane. Not sure if they hike will take 3,4,or 5 days but return flexibility would be nice. Thanks.
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: Transportation from the island

Post by dcclark »

Welcome to the forums!

The best solution to your worries is to plan an extra day, and if you arrive in Rock Harbor early, settle in and enjoy the relaxation. If you need the extra day, then you'll have it. In any case, you won't be able to get home early. I would suggest planing 5 days, to allow you to take your time, enjoy yourself, and rest if needed. Nothing is quite so unpleasant as having to hike 15 miles when you've injured yourself.

How much backpacking experience do you have, in what kind of terrain, and what sort of miles do you usually do?

More specific answers:

Yes - the Ranger takes passengers only two days. More precisely, it comes to the island, stays overnight, and returns the next day (it is the slowest boat, the trip takes about 6 hours one way). It does that cycle twice per week. The Queen, which is out of Copper Harbor, runs daily in the peak season and very frequently otherwise. The seaplane also flies daily (and can take you directly to Windigo) but is much more expensive and more prone to delays.

Yes, you must schedule ferries for the exact day. The Queen may try to squeeze you on if they have room, but at the start of August, they won't -- especially since they are running at 50% capacity this year. I haven't heard of the Ranger nor the Seaplanes taking anyone off-schedule, and I definitely wouldn't count on it.
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

Covid rules aside, The Ranger often has a few empty seats and they are willing to take you if they have room, I left on the Ranger once when the plane (I was scheduled on the plane) was backed up 2 days due to weather. That was before they had two planes flying. I didn't have a ticket for the Ranger, they let me on with promise to pay on disembarkation. I don't usually go during peak season. The seaplane folks are great, but the planes are planned to be full, If you don't show up for your pickup, I don't know their penalties. I have seen people leave early, but it takes extra planning on their part (weight and balance mostly) and that seems to come from the mainland.

I plan for 7-9 days from one end to the other. It's a relaxed place that allows for unforeseen delays (plane, weather, injury) and down days at my favorite sites, or even side trips. I take the seaplane for end to end trips. The trip from Windigo to Rock or the other way can get time consuming or expensive, once on the island.
TopCarrot
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by TopCarrot »

You could go Rh to W that way you arrive on the ranger and fly home. Plane schedule is more fluid. Also there is a taxi the runs from copper harbor to Houghton. So the queen is possible too. We took that taxi once.
22 CH-ML-ML-LRC-DF-CA-RH
21 3M-MB-McC-TH-ND-WC
21 LC-DF-McC-CH-MB-RH
20 HC-FL-SB-SD-MB-MB-RH
19 TH-ND-WC-SD-ML Via Voyager McC
18 DF-CH-DF
18 LC-DF-LR-RH
17 CW-SD-WC greenstone in 50hrs