Houghton Lift Bridge on restricted Schedule

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Houghton Lift Bridge on restricted Schedule

Post by johnhens »

For those taking the Ranger, the Queen or the Seaplane, the Houghton Liftbridge will be on a restricted schedule this summer due to road construction.

Apparently, Main St is all torn up and not useable.

http://www.mininggazette.com/page/conte ... l?nav=5006
Backpacker534
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Re: Houghton Lift Bridge on restricted Schedule

Post by Backpacker534 »

Wow. That could make things "interesting" for boaters and drivers... :?
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Re: Houghton Lift Bridge on restricted Schedule

Post by Keweenaw »

Hi all,

The restricted schedule is only for raising the bridge for private boaters. Commercial boats can get through at any time; this includes the Ranger. Drivers will have be better off since back-ups will be minimized.

The detouring is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. If you are coming up 41 from Marquette the detour is up Montezuma Ave (used to be one-way East, now 2-way). From M26 there is not much of a change except for a temporary traffic light near the bridge to allow traffic to cross over. Coming from Hancock you are supposed to go all the way up to Sharon Ave in order to swing around back to Houghton, but local folks are either taking a right at the Houghton end of the bridge and swinging down to Lakeshore (the road that goes past the Park Headquarters), or doing a u-turn in Hardee's parking lot to head back to Montezuma.

Downtown Houghton is actually open to cars during this time since they are doing the reconstruction 2 blocks at a time starting at the bridge end.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather