Restaurant in Copper Harbor area??

Questions about how to get to the island and where to stay near points of departure.

Moderator: dmdhiker

munk79
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Restaurant in Copper Harbor area??

Post by munk79 »

So anyone have recommendations for a place in Copper Harbor for starving young men after a week of being on IR?? :) Someone said Harbor Haus?

Thanks for any recommendations!
Don_P
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: Restaurant in Copper Harbor area??

Post by Don_P »

Harbor Haus is the place! It's a little pricey but worth every penny.
Nitsirk
NewbieCake

Post by Nitsirk »

Thumbs up to Harbor Haus.
ScoutDad
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by ScoutDad »

The Tamarack is good food for a good price, our scouts on our last trip loved their pasties and broasted chicken.

Harbor Haus is for sure very tasty as well, and little more expensive.
My profession is to always find God in nature.
- Henry David Thoreau -
Don_P
LNT Expert

Post by Don_P »

We've only eaten at Tamarack for breakfast (very good!) but will give the broasted chicken a shot before we leave for the island this time. Thanks for the recommendation.

Has anyone who's been through this year been to The Pines? Wondering if they still serve their cinnamon rolls.
colvinch
LNT Expert

Post by colvinch »

Don_P wrote:We've only eaten at Tamarack for breakfast (very good!) but will give the broasted chicken a shot before we leave for the island this time. Thanks for the recommendation.

Has anyone who's been through this year been to The Pines? Wondering if they still serve their cinnamon rolls.

Yes, yes they do and they are gooooooood. Had one on the 31st for breakfast
ScoutDad
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by ScoutDad »

ScoutDad wrote:The Tamarack is good food for a good price, our scouts on our last trip loved their pasties and broasted chicken.

Update on the Tamarack Inn after my August 10th & 11 visits there (taken from my trip report):

August 10-We had dinner at the Tamarack Inn, and while the food was very good as I remembered (great pastie dinner), I thought I had remembered it being just a little better value in 2004. I know; inflation and all that, but the signs and menu stating "one trip to the salad bar" and "no free refills on drinks" were new since my last visit. Regardless, they served a good meal. Breakfast next morning was more reasonably priced & very good & filling.
My profession is to always find God in nature.
- Henry David Thoreau -
Ucity
NewbieCake

Post by Ucity »

We ate at both Harbor Haus & the Mariner North.

The food was good at both. Harbor Haus had a retirement home feel to it and my wife and I found the waitress uniforms to be a bit creepy. Nice views of the water, though.

Mariner North was more our cup of tea--it has more of a typical midwest tavern-feel, a more expansive menu, cheaper, and pitchers of beer.

The Mariner North had a much better vibe. We saw the captain of the Queen and a crew member enjoying a beer there after our treacherous 8-ft wave ride back from the Isle last week!

Each place is decent--just depends on what you are in the mood for. I'm sure the next time we go to CH, we'll probably skip Harbor Haus and take our pre- & post- Isle dinners at the Mariner North.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

I dig the Mariner North too. I eat there almost exclusively in the winter. Great menu, great staff, and good beer. And in the winter, they have a masseuse!
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

I'm not so thrilled with the Mariner. I've eaten there a few times. Once, I ordered a steak, medium, and baked potato - I sent the steak because it was undercooked and the potato back because it wasn't warm enough to melt butter. I even had to send the potato back a second time. They gave me a break on my bill - didn't charge me for my coffee. No thanks. And, yes, I was polite throughout.
Last edited by LeftOvers on Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Post by drobarge »

Eaagle Harbor Inn just a little south, good food, even better people
fredly
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by fredly »

In 2010 we ate at the Mariner the night before a week on IR. Food and beer were both good. After a week on IR we went to Harbor House and it was amazing! Can't really go wrong with either. We also saw the captain and crew from the IR Queen in the Mariner because they weren't sailing the next day due to 13-17' waves forecasted!
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

Mariner North was good for cocktails IMO...however we always visit the Harbor Haus and have never been disappointed. Plus the beer selection there is incredible.
sandystAR
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by sandystAR »

I ate at the Mariner and Harbor Haus in August, 2010 and both were very good. I ate at the Mariner the night I returned from Isle Royale and ate every morsel off my plate. I practically licked the salad bowl...boy was it good to eat some real vegetables!
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

Salads always taste great after a week or so of eating camp food!