Lantern

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Wampum
NewbieCake

Lantern

Post by Wampum »

I'll be on the Isle the first week of August, and I think it doesn't get dark up there until maybe 11pm, which we'll probably be asleep by then. So is a lantern unnecessary? I've got one of those compact lanterns that screw onto a fuel canister, but if we've got headlamps, is the lantern just overkill?
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Lantern

Post by IncaRoads »

It all depends on how long you stay awake after dusk is complete. I typically carry a lightweight LED headlamp and a Princeton Tec Pulsar II LED Light w/ switch.
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

It usually gets dark by 8:30. I would just bring a flashlight or headlamp. You probably won't be staying up that late.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I bring a mini maglight. Unscrew the top and hang from the shelter or tent if we're up playing cards later. Not great, but good 'nuff. Haven't made into the LED century yet :) .
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Wampum
NewbieCake

Post by Wampum »

dark by 8:30?
sunset is around 9:45, and you probably get another half hour of dusk.
http://www.gaisma.com/en/location/isle- ... higan.html

I think we'll just make do with our headlamps.
Keweenaw
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 30

Post by Keweenaw »

9:45 Eastern is 8:45 Central and amount of dusk will depend on which side of the ridge you are on and tree cover, but I agree that a lantern is probably overkill unless you plan an all-night poker game.

Bob
My leatherwork is available through my Etsy shop at http://www.etsy.com/shop/BirchCreekLeather
Kevinl
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Kevinl »

I would think it overkill after the first mile or so. Then I would want to leave it trailside. I'm just saying. From experience.
Pioneer Spirit
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Pioneer Spirit »

Make yourself a small lantern for camp use by converting one of those outdoor solar cell lawn lights. Remove the extra plastic and hang with a cord or a bent paperclip hook. The things contain one AA battery and are very lightweight.
Live every day as if it was your last because one day you will be right.
upnorthjeeper
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by upnorthjeeper »

I got one of these when they were on sale for only $2.49 shipped. Even at $3.80 they're still a great buy!
http://www.meritline.com/11led-adjustab ... 35838.aspx
Shipping does take 2-3 weeks since these come over on the slow boat from China. I'm usually one to buy local, but I won't lie I order all kinds of gadgets from these guys. If you sign up for their mailing list you'll get emailed about twice a week with sales coupon codes. The codes are usually only good for the first 200-1,000 purchases, and you are almost always limited to a quantity of just 1 discounted item per order.

The fold-up hook is a great feature, and the surface has sort of a rubbery feel. Per my experience and from reviews on the site the lantern is NOT adjustable, despite the product description. The LED's run cool, both in temperature and color output. It uses 3 AA batteries, and I'm sure it lasts for a very long time as I still have yet to run through a set. I've already purchased three (gave one away) of these and plan on buying another when they go on sale again, which seems to be about every couple months.

See my own pics below...

"Imagine living your life without being afraid to take a risk and to explore life."
-Don Miguel Ruiz
emerysar
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by emerysar »

Just got back the last week of July 2010, and the sun was below the horizon around 9:45 each night, and dark by 10:15. I brought my Princeton Tec Scout headlamp, and I used it for a couple of minutes each night. We usually sacked out before dark!