Topo for Garmin

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Topo for Garmin

Post by Ingo »

Anyone know of a good free (or cheap) 24k topo for a Garmin GPS (60CSx)? I found a Michigan topo at http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/154/ and overall looks pretty good, except for the waters around the park--e.g. several islands are missing on the NE side. Since I paddle, that's kinda important, although I guess you can see them from a canoe :D (and I have)

Any alternative to paying Garmin $130? And if not, how good are the Garmin 24k maps for the island? I got the 100k topos and it's probably fine for whatever I do (heck, never had a GPS before), but if I could get more detail without opening up the wallet so much, that would be great.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
niners
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Re: Topo for Garmin

Post by niners »

The 24K maps are pretty good. I did not buy it but did get to see one in a product demo. I decided that since I always carry the TI map as a back-up, I really did not need the 24K version for my Garmin. $130 is a bit excessive.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

At one time I looked into converting topo data to go into a Garmin format. The USGS gives away the data for free but it seemed to require several bits of software to convert it into Garmin's format. I now have ArcGIS, I might check if I can do it with that.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

Unfortunately, when you buy a mapping GPS, you put yourself on the hook to buy the maps. Otherwise, you've spent a lot more on the GPS than you should have.

I've owned several Garmin mapping GPS's and none would accept anything other than Garmin's maps, e.g. City Navigator, G-Charts or Bluecharts.

You can buy a decent GPS for around $100.00 (even less for an older one) and use it with a good topo map, NOAA chart, etc. It's not hard plotting your position on a map or chart once you learn how.

I use a tool called the Waypointer:

http://www.gpsscales.com/WaypointerScale.html
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Tampico, I've successfully loaded free maps from gpsfiledepot into Garmin's Basecamp software and supposedly they now load fine onto their GPS units. May need some firmware updates for older units. I haven't tried loading to the GPS yet--waiting for a new computer next week before I spend alot of time downloading/uploading huge files and messing with software. But I'll let you know how it goes.

Don, from what I've read it is a pain. I don't have the patience (or any real need) to try it myself.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH