Best lightweight, affordable rain jacket?

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

fredly
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Best lightweight, affordable rain jacket?

Post by fredly »

I am planning a trip to the island August 28-Sep2, 2010 and would like some advice on a good light-weight, affordable rain jacket. Some considerations are the Marmot Oracle, North Face Venture, or LLBean Waterproof Storm Jacket. Any input would be appreciated as this will be the first trip to the island for us.
Mandolynn
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Re: Best lightweight, affordable rain jacket?

Post by Mandolynn »

I don't know what others will think, but of the LL Bean jackets, I purchased the higher-priced waterproof jacket with Goretex and have never been sorry. Not only does it keep me dry and is comfortable, but I use it all the time here at home instead of bothering with an umbrella. If only I could afford the pants, too...
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I like my Red Ledge parka and rain pants. Lightweight and packs small. Breathable, but not lined, so it is a little sticky directly on the skin, but for me worth the trade-off in weight/bulk. Very reasonably priced--at least they were some years ago when I got mine. I think I paid about $60 for both--that was a good deal then, I think retail was about $100.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
kfinnguy
LNT Expert

Post by kfinnguy »

This is what I bought:
http://www.rei.com/product/772609

Its nice and lightweight and comes in a stuff sack.
"The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences."
— Chris McCandless
michigandave
NewbieCake

Post by michigandave »

I'm sold on my Mountain Hardware Epic Rain jacket that I picked up at the end of the season for $75. It's got a great built in visor and the rain just flows off of it. That, along with my $20 Bass Pro Sportsman nylon rain pants and I'm good to go.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I have been using a Marmot Precip for a number of years, it works fine for the price.
Pioneer Spirit
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Pioneer Spirit »

I read a post about cheap Wal-mart rain jackets on another thread here. I bought one of those due to price and compactbility, it was no bargain during a cold, misty wind-driven rain on a exposed mountain top along the Laurel Highlands. I'm sure they are fine for a dash out to the mailbox or to an awaiting vehicle but they are not seam waterproof at all.
Live every day as if it was your last because one day you will be right.
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

I'm a little surprised that noone has mentioned this yet, or maybe not.

The standard-issue military poncho (not poncho-liner) is perfect. It will cover you, your head, and your pack. It can be used as a shelter or ground cloth and they're nearly industructable.

You can roll one up to about the size of a 1L plastic bottle.

And they're cheap. Buy two.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

Either a good waterproof poncho or a basic light-weight Goretex parka. You want the uninsulated parka with the fishnet lining. Add fleece layers as needed for warmth. If you go the parka route you should also add the weight of a pack cover. A good poncho will cover both you and the pack.
fredly
NewbieCake

Post by fredly »

Decided to go with the Marmot Pre-cip after I found it on sale for $50, plus I had a $25 gift card for the retailer, so I got it for $25!
Kind of a no-brainer at that point.
Pioneer Spirit
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by Pioneer Spirit »

I also use a Sea to Summit silnylon tarp/poncho. While it's 100% water proof and an excellent bug barrier, you soon steam up the inside with sweat vapor and end up as wet as if you were exposed to the elements.

During a 100+ mile Buckeye trail hike in June from Dayton to Cincinnatti, I used it during a rainstorm in a buggy area and found that even though it is designed to cover you and the pack, it rode up constantly to one side off the pack.

There are ample tie-out loops so I thing some rigging is needed to keep it down in the back. The plastic snaps won't hold by themselves.

I use it as a small ground cover under the overhang of a Hubba so that the pack is kept off the ground during wet conditions by wrapping the thing under the pack. It is also a cover I stretch out on when stopping for breaks.

It's probably 1/4 the weight of a military poncho (old design) and fits in a pop can.
Live every day as if it was your last because one day you will be right.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

fredly wrote:Decided to go with the Marmot Pre-cip after I found it on sale for $50, plus I had a $25 gift card for the retailer, so I got it for $25!
Kind of a no-brainer at that point.
A REAL no-briainer :)
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
scotty
NewbieCake

Post by scotty »

I have the North Face Venture jacket it works really well and I got it for dirt cheap like $50 at backcountry.
MIKE A
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by MIKE A »

Marmot Pre-cip does a great job for the price and light weight !!!!!!
scotty
NewbieCake

Post by scotty »

My girlfriend also bought a Marmot Pre-cip she got it on clearance! Try checking out Backcountry.com they have a semi-annual sale going on right now and I've noticed they sell gear 50% off a lot of times.