Gaitors

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Gaitors

Post by zims »

I know there was a question in the past about wearing gaitors on the island, but I can't find it. Can anyone elaborate on them for me? I am hiking the minong in June 2011 and am going to assume it will be very wet in places, are these a good idea to wear? I am afraid they will become dead weight if not needed, but we are trying to pack light without extra clothes. Any help would be great. Thanks
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Gaitors

Post by johnhens »

Gaiters go in my pack for a number of reasons. They mostly prevent accumulation of mud on my legs and trail debris out of my boots. They keep dew from soaking my socks and the tops of my boots. Also on a cool morning, I use them in lieu of long pants to warm the legs (I use OR Crocs).
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

I would not go without them. Hopefully they are not needed, but if it rains, they are essential in keeping your boots dry and preventing your socks from wicking water into your boots. After it rains on the island, not only is the underbrush wet, but the water is draining in little rivers on the trails as it does not soak into the ground due to rocks for the most part. Well worth the weight, IMHO.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

zims,
John and Mike are correct. If you want to see some of the Minong water hazards go to "General Questions & Misc." Look up "Minong". Several guys answered my questions and shared pictures of the Minong. You will get your feet wet when you cross the high tech bridge (several trees dropped over a creek) I did this past June. The beaver dams give off an interesting odor. I have a report under "Trip Reports" dated June/July 2010 Minong. Don't go to a third beaver dam. You've gone off trail if you do. Wish I was going with you, it's a nice challenge. Enjoy!
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

There are several conditions that good gaiters protect against:
1. Snow
2. Mud
3. Dust & sand
4. Water from wet grass and brush
5. Rain

The only time I would not take gaiters is on a well-maintained trail in the West, such as the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, etc., where I was not expecting rain, snow or wet grass. In just about every case I take gaiters. I think hiking IR without the is just an invitation to soaking wet socks & boots.

Heavy gaiters also offer some protection against snakebite but this is not a big concern on IR.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator

Post by IncaRoads »

Question for those who use gaiters. Do you also bring rain pants?
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

IncaRoads wrote:Question for those who use gaiters. Do you also bring rain pants?
It depends on the conditions. 50° and rainy; absolutely. 80° and muddy trails or heavy dew; maybe not. Frankly, just about any place other than Nevada you probably want to be ready for rain. That could be a poncho and gaiters or a full rain suit. It depends on the conditions. My usual rain pants are a very lightweight and pack to almost nothing. Did I tell you about the guy we met on the Greenstone in a pouring rain. He left his rain gear at home. Said he'd been to the island many times and never needed it before. That was one wet, miserable fellow.
MikeT
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by MikeT »

I also bring my rain pants, but have only worn them once while walking thanks to my gaitors and that was in a torrential downpour. I do however use them as my outer layer funtioning as a windbreaker at camp. They are lightwight "frogg toggs" and make for a very nice pillow at night and pad for my bottom around camp.
Mike T.
"Isle Royale Info - A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park" available at: http://www.isleroyale.info
"Isle Royale Itinerary Generator" an intuitive program to create and manage itineraries. Description at: http://www.isleroyale.info/ig_description.html
"Half the fun is in the planning"
zims
Trailblazer

Post by zims »

Hello all
thank you very much for your input. I have experienced the downpours on IR and also experienced the times I thought I had enough dry warm clothing. I have always been short and had a couple really miserable nights trying to get warm, but I am learning. I will keep all updated when we go.
Anyone else treking the minong in June?
Last edited by zims on Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

zims,

How many in your party?
zims
Trailblazer

Post by zims »

there are 2 going as of now, one cancelled already on me..:(
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

zims, You might have read my trip report for Minong 2010. I think you'll enjoy the Minong (I did). Envy you doing that trail next year. I guess I should try to do some trails in the middle and western part of ISRO next year instead of the Minong again.
PatrickBDunlap
LNT Expert

Post by PatrickBDunlap »

Did IR last September and it rained quite a bit and the full rain gear really helped to keep us dry and warm. I want to get a pair of Gaitors this winter so I can cont. to hike during the winter here in MI.
zims
Trailblazer

Post by zims »

I thank everyone who posts replies to our questions on here. My dream of the Minong will be postponed a year or two. One of my hiking partners passed away this month and I am thinking that I am not ready to experience the Island again, feeling like half of me is missing.
Everyone hike on, follow the sunsets and toast my friend who will be hiking on in heaven.