inflatable kayaks for isle royale

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

dinesh75
NewbieCake

inflatable kayaks for isle royale

Post by dinesh75 »

Hey guys,

I am planning to go to Isle royale for around a week in a couple of weeks. I can't backpack as all the stuff I have is pretty heavy, so the other option I have is to paddle around in a kayak. Now, I called up a few places for the rental, and it seems the cost is around $50/day. So even if I stay for 7 days, it's $300 + $50 for the transportation = $350.

A new inflatable kayak is around $500-$600. Does anyone have any idea how those things cope with Lake Superior?

I am open to other ideas as well on how to get around the island.

Thanks.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: inflatable kayaks for isle royale

Post by Midwest Ed »

I've never used an inflatable kayak, just a canoe on the Island. You can plan several different paddling trips that would not require any exposure to the Big Lake. A few others might have limited or very limited exposure.

You can make arrangements with the Voyager II ferry from Minnesota to drop you off and pick you up at a variety of campgrounds (unless there is a scheduled pick up or drop off it does not stop except at Windigo and Rock Harbor):

Day 1:
Leaves Grand Portage
Windigo
McCargoe Cove
Belle Isle
Rock Harbor (spends the night unless behind schedule due to previous day's bad weather, then it might do the entire trip in one day)
Day 2:
Daisy Farm
Chippewa Harbor
Malone Bay
Windigo
Grand Portage

There is also the remote chance that due to weather and high seas it might make the entire trip (Day 1 and 2) on the same side of the Island (typically the north west side). This allows for a round trip using the protection of the island. It's alway good to take an extra one or two day's supply of consumables in case the weather throws everyone a curve ball. This is more likely late in the season.

The Belle Isle area is nice for paddling but there could be times that high seas on Lake Superior might retrict your movements (even with a sea kayak).

You could also start at Rock Harbor via any of the other ferries and then take advantage of the relative protection in Rock Harbor, although persistent winds from the southwest can make for rough going.

I personally like any inland lake circle route involving Lake Ritchie, Intermediate Lake, Siskiwit Lake (potential pickup at Malone Bay), Lake Whittlesey and Chippewa Harbor (pickup point).

You could come down from MaCargoe Cove adding Chickenbone Lake, Lake Livermore and Lake LeSage. (These portages are a little longer and involve the up and over of the Greenstone Ridge).

Or get dropped off at Daisy Farm (or even start at Rock Harbor) then do Moskey Basin, Lake Ritchie, Intermediate Lake, Siskiwit Lake (potential pickup at Malone Bay), Lake Whittlesey and Chippewa Harbor (pickup point). The Moskey to Lake Ritchie is the longest portage but it's not too hard, just long (2 miles)

Shorter variations of the above can be made to keep any portage shorter such as getting dropped off at Chippewa Harbor and then getting picked up at Malone Bay or even Chippewa Harbor.

A description of all portages can be found on page 6 of the park's annual newsltter "The Greenstone." http://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/u ... i-2011.pdf
Last edited by Midwest Ed on Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

One issue is that there are only a few routes which do not involve either a portage (some rather difficult portages) or rounding a point in open water. Open water can be either a tranquil as a duck pond or something akin to "The Perfect Storm" and you can't predict which it will be. If the stuff you have is pretty heavy, you won't be making portages. One option is to paddle where you can and use either the water taxi or VII to get around the open water parts. Another option is to reduce the weight of the "stuff" so that you can backpack. IMHO.
Damon S
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by Damon S »

A skin boat, or packable kayak would be seaworthy, but they are fairly bulky and heavy. A inflatable kayak for $600, you would be hard pressed to find one that would be suitable for IR, and, you would be dealing with the weight of the craft again.

The only ones I know of that look like a sea kayak is the "Advanced Elements" Air fusion...but it's only 13' in length...hardly a sea kayak.

I don't know what your plan would be regarding your mileage or route, but I wouldn't use one up at IR. Maybe I'm wrong, but those systems would be difficult to lug around with all your gear on the island.

If you've already planned on paddling the island vs backpacking, I would do it properly and either canoe or sea kayak. Lake Superior is nothing to mess with and every time we go up there, I make sure my boat and equipment is going to be up to the test.

Damon....
dinesh75
NewbieCake

Post by dinesh75 »

Thanks guys.

Midwest Ed. Which are the kayak trails I can take that limit my exposure to the lake? I am planning to be in the north east corner of the park (I will be landing in Rock Harbor). I am more interested in camping and photography, so even if I don't kayak a lot, I am ok :).

Damon, I am leaning towards the Advance Elements expedition kayak..

http://www.rei.com/product/736947/advan ... able-kayak

I have been reading about it and have understood that it's pretty rugged, plus the length is 15'. Do you have an opinion on his particular kayak?

Thanks.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

I must admit that my advice was based solely on the basis of maximizing safety given the sea worthiness of an inflatable kayak and my perceptions of your skill level. I had not given thought to the weight factors as others brought up. These extra weights would seem very important except on the shortest and most flat portages.

My safety concerns regarding references to the lake or the Big Lake are of course Lake Superior. These take two forms. High seas and cold water temperatures. I personally would not venture into open Lake Superior waters without at least a wet suit and most likely a dry suit, and certainly not solo.

Portages on the north east end that would allow sheltered paddling would take you to Tobin Harbor and Duncan Bay. Continuing north into Five Finger Bay would be a dead end considering the safety factors as open water blocks entry into Belle Harbor and Amygdyloid Channel. The same open water dangers are true for any exit from the mouth of McCargoe Cove. The southern shores of the north end are comprised of Rock Harbor (extending from Scoville point to Moskey Basin). While there are several fairly protected areas along Rock Harbor, a prevailing wind from the southwest (which can be common) can generate dangerous conditions at worst and very rough and strenuous going at best. And a southern wind can make crossing the gaps between outward islands dangerous as well. And the weather can change in a heart beat.

The routes I steered you towards all involved inland lakes and very sheltered bays in Lake Superior. You can get to these waters from Rock Harbor campground, avoiding Rock Harbor waters, by utilizing either the Voyageur II ferry or the water taxi operated by the park concessions. Both require advance reservations to make the drop offs and pick ups.

Ed
dinesh75
NewbieCake

Post by dinesh75 »

Thanks Ed. I called up the park ranger and told him that I am plan to go solo kayak camping (using an inflatable kayak) and that I am a novice in kayaking. He recommended that I stick around the Rock Harbor area. He recommended that I kayak south west, so that I would head to Moskee basin, Daisy Farm etc. He told that there are rangers typically patrolling and if something happens, I can get help. He was ok with my kayaking solo as well. So currently, this is what I am planning (5-6 days). Will be camping at each of the stops

a) Rock Harbor -> Three mile
b) Three Mile -> Daisy Farm
c) Daisy Farm -> Moskee basin
c) Moskee Basin -> Caribou Island
d) Caribou Island -> Tookers Island
e) Tookers Island -> Rock Harbor

I can do it at a leisurely pace in 5-6 days. I can also extend if needed, given that I have two weeks of vacation. This is my first trip of this nature, so am willing to take it really easy.

How does the itinerary look so far?

Thanks.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I like the ranger's advice and your plan. The distances are such that you can pretty much make up your itinerary as you go. Personally I'd skip Three-mile as there's not much there and go straight to Daisy Farm. You can hike Mt Ojibway from there. Moskey Basin is a great place to spend a couple days. Paddle the basin, hike to Lake Richie, Chippewa Harbor, and/or a longer Greenstone Ridge loop. Caribou Island is a beautiful little island and although there's not alot there, you're close to the lighthouse and Edison fishery. I haven't stayed at Tookers, but stopped once and it wasn't all that appealing. The campground is in an open field in the middle of the island away from the water. But it's all relative, there is no "bad" place to be on I.R.

In general Rock Harbor is protected from the big lake swells and it's pretty obvious what you have to deal with. Worst case is the wind straight up or down the harbor, as it's pretty long. But if you're along the shore of the main island you can bail out any time (hopefully that's a bad choice of words :) ). You need to be more careful around the outer islands, as conditions can change very quickly. Swells and currents do strange things as they wrap around the little islands and hit the reefs and it's not always obvious until you're in it. Pay particular attention between and at the ends of the islands and just be careful. Most days it's just fine.

Here's a link to pics and log from an unintended 9 day trip on Rock Harbor http://moskeybasin.com/IR2005/Main.html.

Looked at the link to the boat and read the reviews on REI. It's intriguing.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
jerry
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by jerry »

Ingo is correct, Caribou will be nice to visit. Hike around that island, you'll find some interesting stuff left there from many years ago. On the way from Moskey to Caribou stop at the cabin (on your right) just before the lighthouse and fishery. Mr. and Mrs. Peterson are great to talk to about his/her research (wolf/moose, etc.) and the collection of skulls are interesting. I was at both Caribou and Tookers last year. Tookers is okay, but all I remember is Lake Superior letting us know that a gale force wind had started up. Overnight lots of waves hit the island. The expert folks that use canoes and or kayaks at ISRO will tell you to have a radio that gives you the weather conditions. Good advice I'm sure.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

Assuming you've got plenty of time to practice and train with you new boat, sticking to Rock Harbor should be doable. Just remember the weather can change very quickly. Having extra days should give you the comfort to not take any chances in trying to rush from one place to another when the weather looks "ify".

When watercraft are involved, especially solo, plan on the worst thing happening and practice for it. Make sure you have an appropriate and good fitting Personal Flotation Device and ALWAYS wear it.

Outfit your PFD with safety equipment and prepare to use it. That means having it all handy when you go over. You can get all the additional devices REQUIRED by motor boaters that will store in your PFD:
1) Audible signaling device (good, loud whistle works)
2) Visual signaling devices (a signal mirror, 3 orange waterproof flares and a small water proof xenon flasher light).
Add a small folding sharp stainless steel knife.
You can skip the fire extinguisher, LOL.

I also highly recommend a hand held waterproof 2 way VHF marine radio with a weather channel option. These can be bought for less than $50. Channel 16 is monitored and you will be able to contact the NPS headquarters on Mott Island from anywhere in Rock Harbor should you experience an emergency, plus monitor the weather.

Any one of the above items might save your life.
dinesh75
NewbieCake

Post by dinesh75 »

Thanks for the replies.

Ingo, I shall keep your suggestion in mind when I visit. If I feel I can kayak that distance in one shot, then I will head straight to daisy farm. I will try to spend more time in Moskee bay.

Ed, thanks for the list. I will buy all of them when I pick up my kayak tomorrow.

Btw, do I need my tent if I am camping in the campgrounds? I heard that there were shelters there...
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

dinesh75 wrote:Btw, do I need my tent if I am camping in the campgrounds? I heard that there were shelters there...
You cannot count on getting a shelter.
I will also mention a wetsuit given the mode of your paddling, if you spring a leak or get swamped. I looked at the REI site, the spray skirt would be nice too.
Have fun and take pics!!

Surface water temps:
http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/glc ... pe=N&hr=00
Midwest Ed
IR Expert

Post by Midwest Ed »

These radios are intended for fairly light duty but will work. I'd keep it in a dry bag as it's probably more water resistant than proof. If you think you might want to use it for a several years I'd get one in the $100 range.

http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-Compact-Wat ... B00126K8BM

http://www.amazon.com/Midland-NTVP1-Nau ... =pd_cp_e_2

This is an example of a personal marine safety strobe flasher:

http://www.aminexus.com/browseproducts/ ... -CELL.html
dinesh75
NewbieCake

Post by dinesh75 »

Thanks Ed. I bought the kayak yesterday and that darn thing is heavy!!!! I think I will buy the solo version of the kayak. I bought all the other safety equipment you mentioned ...

Speaking of weights, how far are the campgrounds from the shore (esp the ones I am interested in camping)? I hope I do not have to lug all my gear across some distance, would be painful. I understand that carts are not allowed on the island ...

Thanks.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

dinesh75 wrote:Speaking of weights, how far are the campgrounds from the shore (esp the ones I am interested in camping)? I hope I do not have to lug all my gear across some distance, would be painful. I understand that carts are not allowed on the island ...

Thanks.
Three Mile: the shelters are very close to shore, if the shelters at the first dock are filled, go to the 2nd dock as there are 2 more shelters there.

Daisy Farm: you will see the shelters from the shore, though DF has lots of shelters, you may have to walk a little there.

Moskey Basin, go past the dock (left) and you will see the shelters on the rocks.

Caribou: May be boaters there, if you don't want to tent, go back to Daisy Farm.

Same with Tookers, go across to Three Mile.