Thermarest Neo Air?

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Re: Thermarest Neo Air?

Post by Midwest Ed »

Here is one source for Kevlar sheeting. It's $11 to $16 per square yard. Their minimum order quantities and standard sizing leaves something to be desired but at least it tells me that Kevlar is not as expensive as one might think. And it's super light. 1/4 ounce per square yard.

This particular sheet isn't a weave and is intended to go in between outer layers to add additional durability, but it still advertises impact resistance. The woven stuff looks to be $44 to $55 per square yard,

http://www.fibreglast.com/product/Kevla ... 063/Kevlar
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

Wow!
Big Agnes -> 19 oz
Neo Air -> 14 oz
Inertia X -> 9.1 oz

Has anyone tried an Inertia X? I'd be tempted but I already bought the Big Agnes.

P.S. The Big Agnes mummy air mattress arrived today and it actually weighs right at 24 oz. I think it will be going back.

P.P.S. Well on a different and better scale the mattress is actually 20.5 oz for a total of 22 oz with the stuff sack.
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

Hi Don
I have 2 of the Big agnes blow up pads and love them!! I took my father to the island and he had no complaints about the hard ground. I believe they are worth every penny.
fredly
NewbieCake

Post by fredly »

I just got the Inertia X-Lite today. It's the 3/4 length version of the X-Frame. At 6.1 oz (7.9 oz with pump, stuff sack, and patch kit) I am willing to give it a try!
Has anyone tried an Inertia X? I'd be tempted but I already bought the Big Agnes.

P.S. The Big Agnes mummy air mattress arrived today and it actually weighs right at 24 oz. I think it will be going back.

P.P.S. Well on a different and better scale the mattress is actually 20.5 oz for a total of 22 oz with the stuff sack.
I'll weigh in with my thoughts after I sleep on it, but seems good so far.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

fredly wrote:I just got the Inertia X-Lite today. It's the 3/4 length version of the X-Frame. At 6.1 oz (7.9 oz with pump, stuff sack, and patch kit) I am willing to give it a try!
I'll weigh in with my thoughts after I sleep on it, but seems good so far.
I realized that, sleeping on an air mattress, I make at least one full revolution during the night and spend a bit of time sleeping on my side. I don't think the Inertia X would work for someone who is turning. Let me know what you think.
fredly
NewbieCake

Post by fredly »

I toss and turn a lot, but it seems like the support for the shoulders and hips are in the right spot for me.
fredly
NewbieCake

Post by fredly »

Slept on the Klymit Inertia X-Lite last night. The temperature got down to 28 F, but I was comfortable with my Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32 bag. The Loft Pockets actually seem to work to keep the insulation in the sleeping bag from compressing and the padding was in the right spots even when I slept on my side. It's a keeper!

I returned the NeoAir Trekker because I would wake up feeling like I was falling off it when it was fully inflated. If I deflated it enough to eliminate that feeling, then I could feel the ground underneath.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

fredly wrote:The Loft Pockets actually seem to work to keep the insulation in the sleeping bag from compressing and the padding was in the right spots even when I slept on my side. It's a keeper!
Cool! Or maybe I should say "warm". :wink:
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

We bought two of the short NeoAirs two years ago to keep our weight down. We didn't inflate them all the way and they were comfortable even for me when I slept on my side. We were both cold, though, when the temperatures dropped to the mid 30s when sleeping on the wood floor of shelters. We ended up putting a space blanket, shiny side up, under the mattresses and fleece or wool clothing on top. Still cold. Our sleeping bags were rated 0 F.

I see that Thermarest touts their new design for the NeoAir that's supposed to be good for all seasons. Anyone want to buy the old model from us?
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

"I guess the NeoAir sounds like a ruffled bag of potato chips when you move, but I've never slept on one before..."

I bought the NeoAir and have used it once, for a weekend trip. (It is great.) I also heard the ruffled bag noise, until I figured out the pad was upside down. The pad has a reflective layer (looks like aluminum foil) and the layer needs to be closest to the ground. With that, no noise.
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

I was happy enough with my torso length Neo Air mattresses that I ended up buying the Neo Air Xtherm - their full length, all season mattress. Despite the advertised weight of 15 oz, mine comes in at 16 oz plus 2 oz for the stuff sack/inflator. I've only had the chance to use it once so far, during our record heat spell in July - not the best test for my September trip to IR. I'll be using it again on a long weekend trip next week in northern Wisconsin (Ice Age Trail). We'll see, though I'm happy with it so far.

As to noise, they do sound a bit like a potato chip bag when you move them around with nothing on top, but it's never bothered my sleep.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

fredly wrote:Slept on the Klymit Inertia X-Lite last night. The temperature got down to 28 F, but I was comfortable with my Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32 bag.
They had an Inertia X-Lite out to test at REI when I was there a few weeks ago. It was actually quite comfortable and I did try a full 360° rotation with it. Seems that it's supposed to go inside the sleeping bag with you.
shutterbug6
NewbieCake

Post by shutterbug6 »

My boyfriend and I have been backpacking with our neoair's for three years a love them. Initially he upgraded first and ended up passing it down to me because it didn't fit his six foot four length. He opted to buy another one with a longer length and neither of us have had any issues with them. They are easy to blow up, stay inflated, and the lightweight attribute is perfect for cutting down on weight. I certainly think you get what you pay for and a good nights rest after hiking 12 miles a day is worth the extra change you put into it.
alecto73
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by alecto73 »

fredly wrote:Slept on the Klymit Inertia X-Lite last night. The temperature got down to 28 F, but I was comfortable with my Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32 bag. The Loft Pockets actually seem to work to keep the insulation in the sleeping bag from compressing and the padding was in the right spots even when I slept on my side. It's a keeper!
I went from a Thermarest ProLite Plus, to an Exped Downmat 9, and ultimately to an Exped UL7. I am extremely happy with Exped products but I am wildly curious about the Klymit. I have been eyeballing them for over a year now. I would be very interested in a full review once you have more trips with it, especially your experiences regarding temperature and possibly bag-wear if you run it on the inside, that sort of thing.
|| Jess ||
fredly
NewbieCake

Post by fredly »

Slept on the Klymit Inertia X-Lite last night. The temperature got down to 28 F, but I was comfortable with my Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32 bag. The Loft Pockets actually seem to work to keep the insulation in the sleeping bag from compressing and the padding was in the right spots even when I slept on my side. It's a keeper!

I went from a Thermarest ProLite Plus, to an Exped Downmat 9, and ultimately to an Exped UL7. I am extremely happy with Exped products but I am wildly curious about the Klymit. I have been eyeballing them for over a year now. I would be very interested in a full review once you have more trips with it, especially your experiences regarding temperature and possibly bag-wear if you run it on the inside, that sort of thing.
Got to try out the Klymit in May on a 4 day hike in Pictured Rocks. On the second night it developed a leak that I could not find to patch. I returned it and went back to a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pad. I got the 60" mummy style and it is much more comfortable for me, even though it is heavier at 18 oz. I'd rather be comfortable and carry a little more weight. My old Bag Agnes never let me down, and I like the vertical tubes better than the horizontal tubes of the Neo Air.