What camera should I bring?

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

scotty
NewbieCake

What camera should I bring?

Post by scotty »

I'm tore on what camera to bring to the Isle! I brought a Canon PowerShot S1 (I believe it was roughly under 1 lb) last year. I got some decent pictures but I wish I could have got better pictures.
Canon: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_YlURMlGD3ko/T ... hot_s3.jpg
Nikon: http://www.fotoveci.cz/images/nikon-d70 ... -mm-vr.jpg

This year I'm considering bringing my Nikon D7000 w/ 18-105mm lens.
Pros:
WAY higher quality pictures.
More zoom.

CONS:
Cost of the camera.
Weight is closer to 2 lbs and takes more space.
Not quite sure how or what to store it in?

Does anyone have any experience with backpacking with DSLR cameras that could offer some advice? I was thinking I could wrap it in few shirts and stuff it into this 5L Seal Line dry bag I have to protect it from the rain. Anyone have any better solutions? Thanks :X

http://www.backcountry.com/sealline-baja-dry-bags
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: What camera should I bring?

Post by DonNewcomb »

It's really up to you. I used to lug an SLR and tripod. These days I carry a little point-and-shoot. Ansel Adams carried a view camera. It really depends if you're on a backpacking trip or a photo expedition.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Previously I've brought a Lumix similar in size to your Canon and had been pretty happy. But last year I brought my new D7000 and 18-200 lens (total 4 lbs 8 oz w/ bag) and am planning to bring it again this year. For me I figure if I'm asking the question, then I know the answer, but as Don says, it's a personal choice. Really depends on what you want out your pictures--artistic expression with potential for high quality enlargements, or a nice travelogue so to speak. And how careful you are with your equipment--it's a significant investment on the line, of course.

I have a sling bag that I used--it tied nice and securely to the back of my back, but I was constantly worried about it. And I was extremely careful taking the pack off and on. Also brought along a zip-lock style dry bag in case of rain, but didn't need it. I will probably get a chest pack before this summer, something like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... Black.html (not a recommendation, just random to get the idea). Many can be attached directly to your pack straps. Safer, better weight distribution, and makes the camera accessible on the trail. May be a little lighter too.

If you're interested, pics from my trips are here: http://moskeybasin.com/Isle_Royale/Isle ... _Main.html
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

I think for me, in this day and age, the ability to mount a polarizing filter for landscape shots and the ability to get a steady, long-telephoto shot would be what I'd need for my "photo expedition". Also, some need for macro shots of the tiny flowers, spiders, etc. that are so interesting. BTW, bring an extra charged battery and charger. You will find some places where you can plug into a charger, but not many. R.H., Windigo, and Malone Bay (if the rangers are in an obliging mood) are about the only places with power, as I recall.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

I chose the Canon Powershot Sx series because, for me, it offers a great compromise between the point and shoot and a DSLR. I started with the same S1 scotty mentions but it’s only 3 MP. I traded up to the S5 for under $350 with 8 MP, 12X optical zoom (35mm equivalent = 36-432), Macro and Super Macro (the object can touch the lens). 4xAA batteries so no custom charging. And a 3rd party lens cover system that accepts all my old 52 mm Nikon filters. It’s way cheaper and way lighter than a DSLR and all you really give up is a fast frame rate, better auto focus, RAW format, and a bit tricky view finding in bright light, but the Powershot does have a great articulating viewfinder. So it takes a little longer to frame and focus some shots, but you can still achieve the same results as with the DSLR. The latest Powershot S30 series offers 35x optical zoom and 14 MP for around $400.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

I agree with Ingo about figuring out what you want from the pictures you take. My first trips to IR I took an SLR and 2 lenses, 28mm & 105mm and 15 rolls of film - shot about 10 each time. The 105 stayed on the camera so I was ready for a chance wildlife shot, but I figured the 28 was more for scenery where I'd have time to switch lenses.

A strap arrangement held the camera snug against my chest so it was always ready but didn't swing around with every step I took or crash against the ground if I was scrambling up some rock for a picture. I also made some sort of "raincoat" for it (a lightweight alternative to a camera case) so I wasn't worried about light rain. My body heat and sweat was a concern if I had to tuck it inside my rain gear.

Like Don says, bring an extra charged battery and I'd add an extra memory card, depending on the capacity of yours.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Scotty, you got me looking more closely at chest packs. After looking I'll probably pick up a Lowepro Toploader Zoom 50 AW. Has D rings on 4 corners you can use to attach to pack straps, or you can get their chest harness. Also has a built in rain cover that tucks away, although I'll have to see before I know how much I'll trust it--other brands have this too.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH