Dry bag size and contents

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Wilderness Junkie
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Dry bag size and contents

Post by Wilderness Junkie »

I've done quite a bit of backpacking, but only a couple overnight kayak trips. I will be heading to IR in early June doing a kayak trip for 5 nights. I've never had to pack my items into dry sacks before. I ordered a 5L and 35L dry bag from REI (closeout) and it looks like the 5 is too small and the 35 way too big.

Here is my question: What can you reasonably pack in a 15L bag? Will that be large enough to stuff 2 changes of clothes (long sleeve shirt, light nylon pants, socks)? How about dry food packs such as MH? Do you usually seperate into 2 or 3 bags in case one leaks?

Any helpful info as far as size of dry bag and what will fit would be VERY helpful!!

Thanks!!
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Re: Dry bag size and contents

Post by drobarge »

From my exp. in a kayak several smaller drybags works for me.
porter
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by porter »

Two changes of clothes should fit easily in a 15L bag, as should 4+ MHs in another one. 15-20L is a good, versatile size. large enough to accomodate heavy packing yet if the load is lighter, just put a few more rolls on it before you close it off. My largest is a 25L and it is 9" dia and 28" long when sealed up. I packed a 3lb sleeping bag, 3 regular changes and a warm layer of clothes (14 days) without issue. the bigger bags-such as that one was, can be tougher to get into the hatch when filled though.
I don't double bag any gear except a ziplock for my camera.
Also purge valves are nice, but not always necessary. if you want your gear compressed and airless, simply sit on the packed bag b4 you roll it closed.
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

A lot depends on your boat. I generally go out to IR for two weeks at a time. My boat is an Impex Serenity 17.5 with front and rear compartments as well as a day compartment. Over the years I've experimented (I've got a dry bag museum in my basement ranging from the OR small to the big 35s and a Duluth pack dry bag, too) and I've found that the smaller the bag the better. Meals are individually bagged in gallon zip locks that stow very well in the rear on either side of the skeg. Tent poles and other small stuff goes way up in the bow. Make sure you can retrieve the gear (often a line tied to the first bag in ensures everything comes out). Then, remember, a lot of your gear doesn't really have to go into a dry bag and can go in small ditty bags, the smaller the better since you are concerned with volume and the bigger bags can waste a lot of valuable space. I usually pack my stove (Trangia storm cooker and also a Coleman single burner) wherever it will fit. Same with the fuel bottles, keeping in mind to keep the center of gravity low and front and rear compartments balanced.

The most important thing is test pack, test pack, test pack. What looks like it will fit often doesn't and you don't want to leave gear on the dock.

Finally, I carry a large collapsible water bag (the REI green one) as well as one large mesh duffle. Then, when I get to camp, I can unload the gear into the bucket and duffle to make it easier to carry. It's worked pretty well for the 7 two-weekers I've done so far.
Wilderness Junkie
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Wilderness Junkie »

Great advice everyone and exactly what I was hoping for - Thanks so much!

Nick, is that qty (7) 2 week trips? All on IR? Oh my, I'm jealous. Best plan those in the fall so that the snow chases you out. I don't think I would want to leave after settling in for 2 weeks!!
Nick
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 23

Post by Nick »

Yes, all but 2 of my trips since 1976 have been 2 weekers, including 5 backpacking. I learned a long time ago that since it takes me two days to get to Grand Portage and 2 days to get home, 5 or 6 days on the Island isn't really worth it. It usually takes me a couple days to get disconnected from the real world---cell phones, computers--then I have a good 10-11 days of pure Isle Royale experience, then the last couple of days, I start making mental lists of everything I've got to do when I get back. If you email me privately, I can send you my basic equipment list, including meal recipes I mostly make myself.
Dusty
NewbieCake

Post by Dusty »

I picked up several "Coleman" drybags at Dick's Sporting Goods, they had marked them down to cheap!
Deb :D
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." NWP