Support your local gear store

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Support your local gear store

Post by Ingo »

Obviously I shop at REI (given the REI thread) and on-line, but just wanted to say I actually prefer to use local gear shops when availability and cost are close--and will pay somewhat more just to support local businesses. And encourage others to do the same. So use this thread to call out to your favorite little guys! Mine are:
Diamond Brand & Frugal Backpacker, Asheville, NC
Townsend Bertram & Co, Carrboro, NC
Great Outdoor Provision Co, Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill NC
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Re: Support your local gear store

Post by Tampico »

Midwest Mountaineering, Minneapolis MN

There might be other indies nearby, but I'm not aware of them.
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

I go out of my way to support local businesses when I head to the island and back. Houghton has a nice shop, Downwind Sports with backpacking gear and an emphasis on canoes, kayaks, etc.

Surplus Outlet, also on Sheldon in Houghton has a nice selection of outdoor wear - names you expect like Columbia, but also some lines of woolen clothing and clothing focused on hunting, etc.

I bought my favorite hammock for day hikes at a gas station/convenience store in Copper Harbor, but they're no longer in business. The Gaslight General Store carries a few camping items, but mostly things people staying at Fort Wilkins State Historical Park would want.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

A great thread! Working for a local gear store part-time, this is near-and-dear to my heart. I can't help but to take advantage of the screaming deal at REI, but just like you, I'm willing to pay a little more for the satisifcation of buying local. Additionally, I can touch and play with the gear in-house before my purchase, as opposed to the blind-faith approach of buying online.

My favorite gear stores for the Duluth, MN & Superior, WI area:
  • Continental Ski & Bike, Duluth: Specializes in bikes & winter gear (cross country, downhill, snowshoeing, etc). Tell them "Richard sent me" and get 10% off on most stuff. :)
  • Trailfitters, Duluth: For my camping & backpacking gear needs.
  • Northwest Outlet, Superior: For restocking perishables and the "oh-shit-I-forgots" just before heading up to Grand Portage :)
Last edited by fonixmunkee on Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: IncaTrails caught a bad link I posted
alecto73
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by alecto73 »

I tend to get most of my stuff online because a lot of it is from smaller specialty companies like ZPacks, AntiGravityGear, Gossamer Gear, etc. Does anybody know of any Ma & Pa outfitters in the Chicago area? Through pretty much all of my interests I've definitely always been a proponent of supporting your local brick and mortar, but all I really know about around here are the chains, REI, EMS...
|| Jess ||
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

I've always liked supporting my local stores and dropped some serious coin not that long ago at my local store. Unfortunately, Grand Rapids MI lost a great local store. Apex Outdoor Gear is no longer in business. I can tell you all that if you have a good one, support it or they wont be around.
Sides
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Sides »

REI is my closest local retailer. If I want to drive an extra 45 minutes, there is a Moosejaw in Chicago. I'm just lucky I guess.