It's new backpack time -What do you have? What should I get?

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

It's new backpack time -What do you have? What should I get?

Post by Tom »

I've been carrying my REI Newstar for, well, a good 15-18 years. She's been a great pack. Hauled many a thing over many a mile. That being said, she's long in the tooth. I watch these young whipper-snappers hopping off boats with the latest gear, and frankly, it looks comfortable. :)
In doing the start of my review, I've resolved that I'm probably not a great candidate for an ultralight set up. Especially when travelling on IR, I just tend to carry more gear and weight, so I'd rather add two pounds on the pack for more comfort on the back. (Hey, that rhymes.) I'm more an expedition backpack kind of guy, I think. "Lightweight" could also possibly work. I'm not ruling out UL, but I'm just not sure on it, either.
That being said, I figure I can shrink some, I think I'm currently around 5200ci (an 80) and have been looking at 60-75 for packs. I certainly am looking for comfort on the back and straps, for one. Gear/tent straps are a plus; as are seperate compartments to store things and find them easier. Heck, some even have storage on the waist belt, and I could see tucking a few things in there. I like water bottle access, if possible, and I realize many are just going to bladder options, but I'm old school with my Nalgenes.
Currently, my eyes have been focusing on the Gregory Baltoro 65 & 75, and the Osprey Atmos 65. This is just from my first visit to the store, of course, plus online research.
So, I ask you, wise forum members:
Anyone have a review of the packs listed? Yay? Nay?
What about a 60-65L size pack. Anyone find it a bit tight to get in a 5-7 day hike with one on IR, when you start putting in extra layers and more food?
What's the pack you carry? Like it?

Any and all thoughts welcomed!
alecto73
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: It's new backpack time -What do you have? What should I

Post by alecto73 »

I have an Osprey Aether 85, and I'm keeping it for trip where I'll be bringing all my water (desert, etc). No complaints at all with it, I just went much lighter. The 85 was probably bigger than I needed but the weight difference from the smaller one was negligible. Now I am using a Golite Jam. They just redid them and now there's multiple sizes. You'd probably want to keep your weight under 25lbs to be comfortable with it though. There is a new pack this year from Granite Gear called the Blaze AC 60 that is about the coolest thing I've seen but I haven't actually used one - just seems perfect for the lighter pack crowd. They really nailed it feature-wise on that one. My $.02
|| Jess ||
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

alecto73 wrote:I have an Osprey Aether 85
My friend hikes exclusively with Osprey packs as long as we've backpacked. He swears by these packs. That'd be my first recommendation, although I have not personally used one. Everyone else in my group uses Granite Gear except this guy, too, so it's the only recommendation I have outside of...
alecto73 wrote:There is a new pack this year from Granite Gear called the Blaze AC 60 that is about the coolest thing I've seen
Tom, we talked about Granite Gear at the Midwest Mountaineering expo last weekend, and we both came to the conclusion that the packs aren't made big enough for long-distance trips. While I absolutely LOVE my Granite Gear pack (an old-school, first gen Latitude Access, at 4300cubic inches), I can't rightly give a recommendation to them because they just don't have the space for us regular-weight backpackers. Everything else about Granite Gear is solid, however--construction, technologys--it's all there. Just wish they'd make some larger-sized packs.

Brands to stay away from: Kelty and North Face. the North Face packs are so terribly uncomfortable. I had one of the original NF packs that had the load-transfering disc hip belts. Seemed like a great idea, but everything else about the fit was horrid. I brought it back and it was so bad that even if other NF packs had vast improvements, they still weren't enough. I also started with a gynormous Kelty back (seriously, I think it was 8000 cubic inches). After two short hikes of no more than four or five miles, I had seams on the waistband rupturing and coming off.

My vote: check Osprey.
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Post by drobarge »

Osprey, Osprey, Osprey. Or a vintage Dana Designs Terraplane or Astraplane made in Bozeman, MT. Osprey packs are uber comfy and have a great warranty. With a Bozeman made Dana pack you WON'T need the warranty.

Oh yea.... I have the Atmos 65 right now and LOVE it however, do not buy one without trying it on with weight! They are not adjustable and it either fits or it don't. If it fits you don't forget to take it off before leaving the store, mine is that comfy.
Last edited by drobarge on Fri May 04, 2012 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
backpackingZombie
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by backpackingZombie »

I have an Osprey Aether 70. I love it. It may be a bit heavy (5 lbs) but the thing is comfy to no end and can hold all my crap (I'm not a UL guy).

I HIGHLY suggest popping into Midwest Mountaineering and have them walk you through the paces. Their people are the best.

DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

I tried on an REI Flash a while back and rather liked it. I was considering going to a lightweight pack when I realized that my ancient TNF Thin-Air was actually only a few oz heavier than some of the current lightweight packs, provided I went without the top hamper. Even without the top cap it still has more space than I need for just about any summer camping. Especially since I've been trying to go smaller and lighter on everything else, too. So, I ended up getting a Neo Air instead.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

DonNewcomb wrote:Especially since I've been trying to go smaller and lighter on everything else, too.
At our age are we both subliminally thinking what "NOT else" is? Namely that extra weight that only seems to go up, that we take with us wherever we go. At least it settled in right close to the belt line so it's more efficient to carry. :oops:

Going smaller and lighter on everything else at least has the opportunity to keep the total gross weight manageable. :roll:

~Ed
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

backpackingZombie wrote: I HIGHLY suggest popping into Midwest Mountaineering and have them walk you through the paces. Their people are the best.
That's exactly what I ended up doing. And YES, they really know their stuff. I explained what I was looking for in a pack, and which ones might be of interest, and the staff member took that into consideration, but added, "Just remember: The best pack is the one that fits you."
We then set forth measuring, testing, trying on, etc. As nice as they were, Osprey's design doesn't fit my back properly. There is a gap near the neck, and a few other tension spots. (He was very good at explaining it, too, and showing me.) The Gregory line fit my body better, and after some additional fitting, weighting down, and overall configuration, a Baltoro 75 was ordered. (They didn't have my specific size in stock.) It should be in early next week, just in time for the following weekend's trip out!
Here's to many miles with the new family member!

PS: Love the photo, backpackingZombie. Totally is bringing me back there.
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

I used a Golite Odyssey which is in the same size range that you specified, for my trip around ISRO last year. Golite is a manufacturer of lightweight and ultralight weight back packing gear and has a good reputation in the lightweight backpacking community.

The plus factors are that it is a very lightweight pack for the size, so you are not packing a lot of extra weight in terms of the weight of the pack itself. It can carry anything that you can pack into it. They also have excellent warranty service....

The minus factors: it does NOT have a good shoulder strap/ belt strap adjustment system, meaning that it is hard to shift weight from your shoulders to your hips and vice versa. At pack weights of 30 pounds or less it is a very comfortable pack; at anything over 30 pounds (like say you want/ need extra gear and consumables for your second week on ISRO) it is a uncomfortable pack. The shoulder strap attachment point on the belt is a weak attachment and when it has problems (like mine did on the Minong between NLD and WC, you will need to use a needle and thread/dental floss to make emergency repairs. While repairs using dental floss are stronger than the original thread, making such repairs on the trail is a big pain in the rear. Needless to say this is how I discovered the excellent warranty service at Golite).

Any good retailer will let you try out a pack before you buy it, so try a variety of packs before you settle on one.

Good luck!