What to wear

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Starfire
NewbieCake

What to wear

Post by Starfire »

I've had two overnight backpacking trips so far, and I'm looking to extend the stays in preparation for Isle Royale next year (2013). The overnighters (and maybe even two nighters) are easy to figure out for clothing. But what about a 6, 7, or 8 day trip like the one I'm planning for Isle Royale?

- It will probably be during early August.

What do most people bring to wear? Do you wash your clothes at camp in an inland lake? How often do you change socks, underwear, t-shirts, pants?

I have two pair of under armor boxers, two pair of merino wool hiking socks, two underarmor t-shirts, and (an under armor long sleeve and long underwear to sleep in). I plan on using the long underwear and shirt as a backup in case we get a cold snap during the day - I could wear it while hiking - otherwise I really plan on just using it for sleeping in.

Other than the long underwear and shirt, I'll be wearing one pair of each to hike in... so I'll have a spare to change into. Is this enough clothing? Is it realistic to have only one change of undergarments and socks, and wash them. Should I plan on changing each day, every couple of days, only once? I have no idea what to expect. Obviously I'm trying to keep weight down by not bringing a ton of clothes, but I can't imagine going a week without changing, and washing a set of clothing. I am planning on only having one pair of convertable pants/shorts, and not changing them all week.

So please... where am I way off, where am I close to having it right?
windsor
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: What to wear

Post by windsor »

Here's a useful vidoe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J4D3AHzlxQ
Backpacker mag article with an AT gear list including clothing system: http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_p ... 659?page=4

I'll add a disclaimer that I hike warm and am fine with a thin wool skullcap, a midweight baselayer shirt, and my wind shirt or rain jacket for upper body coverage into below freezing temps if there is little wind. In the same conditions my wife will be wearing a heavy fleece cap, a heavy capilene 4 baselayer, a down vest, and her rain jacket.
You should try out your clothing system for a couple of shorter overnights before your long ISRO trip if you can, otherwise an extra pound or two of clothing to carry is much better than being cold, wet, or way too warm in a place where you cannot pick up extra clothes or bailout if you need to. Also a lot is really what you are comfortable with. For me extra clothes was an easy area to cut extra weight from my pack with the goal of being able to wear every piece of my clothes at the same time and not have any left over (aside from socks that is).

I carry 3 pairs of socks. One that's only used for sleeping in and is heavier than my hiking socks. Then two pairs of thin Merino wool liner socks that dry quickly and weigh very little. I'll switch which one I wear each day and at night rinse out the pair that I wore that day and hang them overnight and then put them in an outer mesh pocket on my pack during the day to dry.

I only bring one pair of underwear and use ExOfficio boxers which do a decent job at not retaining odors. I'll rinse them out and hang to dry overnight every few days.

To wash clothes I'll normally just rinse them with water by adding the clothes and water to a large ziplock bag and shaking. Then I may repeat if necessary. Dirty water is dumped well away from any water sources. If I need to use soap for some reason, which is pretty unusual, I carry a very small dropper bottle of Dr. Bronners and use sparingly.

I bring a pair of long underwear top and bottom for sleeping in. This also works as an extra layer during the day if needed if I'm cold in camp or if I need to rinse out my hiking pants and shirt. I wouldn't need these for hiking in as it's easier to add my rain pants and rain coat for warmth. My rain pants are seldom used but nice to have when I need them, they can also double as regular pants in a pinch, just not as breathable as regular nylon pants.

I perfer a Merino wool shirt for hiking in as it does not pick up body odors as fast as most synthetics. It does take longer to dry then synthetics but I find that if it's still damp in the morning my body heat dries it out quickly unless it's really humid out.

Convertible pants with zip off legs tend to look goofy and have baggy legs but they double as shorts when it's warm. Otherwise a pair of running shorts with a built in liner only weighs about 6 ounces and can be found cheap at Target and can work as swim shorts as well as hiking or sleep wear.

To help keep my clothes, myself, and my sleeping bag from smelling too much I carry one Coleman biowipe for each day of the trip and use this to wipe myself down and clean up before bed. They are big and tough. Getting the dirt, sunscreen, and bug spray off of you keeps the sleeping bag cleaner.

Here's a sample list of what I would wear and carry for the North Shore area for early May to late October.
Depending on expected conditions I would swap out the pants for slightly heavier ones, the Patagonia Nano Puff for a warmer down sweater, the baseball cap for a wide brimmed Tilly, and the shirts for heavier or hooded ones that could still be worn at the same time in layers.

Wear Description Weight (oz)
Wear Dirty Girl Gaiters 1.30
Wear GoLite Race Hat 1.80
Wear GoLite Siskiyou Convertible Pants 9.00
Wear RedRam Wool SS Shirt 5.5
Wear Brooks Pure Grit 20.50
Wear Smartwool Liner Socks 1.70
Wear ExOfficio Briefs 3.10
Pack Bandana 1.30
Pack Liner Gloves 1.20
Pack Smartwool - cuffed beanie black 1.80
Pack Bug Headnet 0.60
Pack Patagonia Nano Puff Pullover 10.50
Pack Eddie Bauer BC-200 11.90
Pack GoLite Tumalo 7.70
Pack Smartwool Liner Socks 1.70
Pack GoLite King's Canyon Wind Jacket 6.60
Pack Terramar TXO 1.0 Pant 4.80
Pack GoLite Wildwood LS Run Top 4.1
Pack Smartwool Medium Weight Hiking Socks 2.90

Worn Weight = 42.90 oz / 2.68 lbs
Carried Weight = 55.10 oz / 3.44 lbs
Starfire
NewbieCake

Post by Starfire »

Thanks WINDSOR... very helpful!
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

General answer is to bring a mix and match variety of light-weight layers. Light synthetic long underwear. Light zip-off pants. Light rain-wear. Light knit/fleece cap. I think gaiters are pretty much a must-have item. You should be able to wind & rain proof every square inch but your face.

Don't wash anything in an inland lake or stream. Use soap away from lakes and streams.

Remember that there are washing machines, dryers and hot showers at RH & Windago but they're expensive.
Starfire
NewbieCake

Post by Starfire »

DonNewcomb wrote:...I think gaiters are pretty much a must-have item. You should be able to wind & rain proof every square inch but your face.
Why are gaiters pretty much a must-have item? Is it more for rain, or bugs, or dirt?
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

Starfire wrote:
DonNewcomb wrote:...I think gaiters are pretty much a must-have item. You should be able to wind & rain proof every square inch but your face.
Why are gaiters pretty much a must-have item? Is it more for rain, or bugs, or dirt?
On IR the trails are pretty muddy. Also, there are lots of low shrubs along the trails that hold water. As you walk you rake the water off the bushes onto your legs. Without gaiters it just runs down into your boots. The gaiters also help to keep the mud out of your boots. Dry feet are happy feet.