Do you use trekking poles on IR?

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

How many trekking poles did you use on IR?

Poll ended at Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:12 am

(0) - No Poles, don't need them
15%
(0) - No Poles, would use them next time though
No votes
(1) - One Pole, worked just fine
30%
(1) - One Pole, should've brought two poles
7%
(2) - Two Poles, used/needed them
44%
(2) - Two Poles, but don't really need them & might leave them home next time
4%

Total votes: 27

Starfire
NewbieCake

Do you use trekking poles on IR?

Post by Starfire »

Are trekking poles a must on the island? Don't really need them? Let us know.
Last edited by Starfire on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Re: Do you use trekking poles on IR?

Post by johnhens »

It has been a while since I backpacked there. The poles helped going up and down over the boulder fields.
Rafiki
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Rafiki »

I want to save my knees. I've seen too many people hike without poles for several years and trips only to get knotty sore looking knees. When speaking to these types of people, they always told me they wish they would have, and now always do, used poles. Usually, I have to learn from my own mistakes, but Ill pass on doing so this time and learn from someone elses. Plus as my girlfriend just muttered...they'll save you from falling down on a couple of occassions :)
343.1 Miles Hiked: 2004 (3 Days), 2010 (11 Days), 2011 (13 Days), 2012 X 2 (8 + 12 Days), 2013 (9 Days/Paddling), 2019 (30 Days/Paddling)
Starfire
NewbieCake

Post by Starfire »

I plan to use them. I just hiked Hoist Lakes Trails near Glennie, MI, and around mile 7+, I really started feeling it in my knees. I'm 48, and I don't run anymore because it's hard on my knees. I only do low impact (elliptical, bike, etc.) exercise now. After reading your post about the knees... I think it might be a good idea to use pair.

I used only one at Hoist Lakes - sort of like a walking stick/helper. About halfway through the day, and halfway up a hill, I wished I had brought a pair instead of just one. Yeah, they're more weight to lug around, but they really seem to help.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

One hiking pole. Three legs are better than two.

More for stability than anything else.

It has kept me from falling more than once.
Last edited by IncaRoads on Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
leeblue5
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by leeblue5 »

I always bring my poles to the island. They have saved me a number of times on the rock of the Minong. Especially when things get a little wet and slippery. I also usually use a shelter that requires a pole or two to set up, so I save weight there too.
Vandy
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 5

Post by Vandy »

I used poles (2) for the first time on my visit last year when I hiked from Windigo to Rock Harbor. I found them very useful and won't hesitate to use them again.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

This was the first time I'd ever used poles, period. I can't believe the difference it made. I wish I'd have gotten some a few years ago.
alecto73
Trailblazer

Post by alecto73 »

I use them, although there are stretches where they're not needed. My hips and knees are kinda bad from lots of sports and while they can sometimes slow you down the poles make a huge difference on the ups and downs, as well as crossings and slippery stuff. In my case they also let me bring a one pound shelter where they are the poles. I'm seriously considering getting the Gossamer Gear poles now that I'm a convert. Previously I was using a single staff, and even further back I would usually end up with some kind of pulled muscle or achy knee and grab a walking stick by the middle of my trips.
|| Jess ||
LeftOvers
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 20

Post by LeftOvers »

IncaRoads wrote:One hiking pole. Three legs are better than two.

More for stability than anything else.

It has kept me from falling more than once.
Agreed. But I use one six foot long walnut walking stick (in voting I selected "one pole"). The long staff has been useful walking on beaver dams, crossing creeks on fallen logs and even lifting and "tossing" branches off the trail without interrupting my rhythm just before I get to them. The six foot length lets me hold it at one end and still have the other end positioned on creek bottoms, etc. Yes, three legs are better than two. Along those same lines, it is useful to test footing before committing to it.
For normal conditions, it becomes part of the rhythm of my walk. I can't say it helps me much going uphill but it is nice going downhill.
The biggest drawback is that it can't be strapped to my pack if I don't want it or need it for the terrain.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

I always use trekking poles. Saves the knees, keeps me balanced, and helps me on those steep ascents.

Sent from my GT-P7310
photosean
NewbieCake

Post by photosean »

If my backpack had been more than 20lbs, poles would have been good on a couple stretches of the Greenstone and the Minong. I had one day where my knees tightened up pretty bad in the middle of a hike - after 12 miles of hiking and ~20 the previous day. I took two ibuprofen and sat down to eat a powerbar for 20 minutes - problem went away, but it scared me. The following day there was no pain or soreness.

In fact, I went from McCargoe Cove to Windigo via the Minong in two hiking days and immediately after from Windigo to Daisy via the Greenstone in two hiking days. Aside from that half-hour spell, I had no soreness or pain throughout the trip.

Blisters - now that's another story.