Hat & Camera Question

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

BigErn
NewbieCake

Hat & Camera Question

Post by BigErn »

So we are in the final stages of getting all our gear for our first IR trip scheduled for early June. The one thing we are debating on is the type of hat to bring.

My parents who have been to the island said to bring a wide, full brimmed hat. My girlfriend thinks she wants to bring one of those Under Armour quick dry SPF hats. Then I also see pictures of hikers on the island wearing bandanas.

I know it's not the most crucial of items, but what do most people wear or recommend wearing on the island?

Also, what would a good camera or camera type be for backpacking? We were hoping for something with good zoom but that isn't too heavy or bulky. We were considering the Nikon J Series as it has nice lens options for zooming but would cut down on weight and space.

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/acil/bodies/j1/
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: Hat & Camera Question

Post by jrwiesz »

I see quite a few boonies out there, I prefer a fold-up baseball type hat, that I purchased on the Isle back in 2005.
I like a brim, at least in front. Helps deflect sun, rain, keep head net away from face during heavy bug times, etc.

That Nikon appears just fine; I still use an old Kodak Easy share. Weight is always a factor.
Point and shoot, a lot of the time, picture moments are fleeting. Be ready.

Enjoy the planning, ask more questions; there are plenty here with vast experience. :D
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Personally, I've been wearing a Filson Packer hat for years. It's full brim. I mainly keep wearing it because (like most of the Filson stuff) it's indestructible, so it hasn't died yet. It's also a good "napping hat" that you can use to cover your face when you lay back in the sun. I also have a lightweight 'cap/front brim' style that has an integrated bug net that I pull out if camp is bad. I think it's a matter of preference, with a couple caveats: If you have a full brim hat, make sure it doesn't bump/rub against the back of your pack when you're wearing it. Also, since you could be on the trail, with the sun on your shoulders, for multiple hours, consider how to protect the back of your neck. It doesn't have to be a hat, but I assure you a sunburn there can be painful with a pack...

As for a camera, I think many of us here have spoke in fondness of our "super-zoom" class cameras. Something that can give a wide angle for a nice ridge view, or zoom in on that moose walking along the other side of a bay or inland lake. If you're buying new, I would pay attention to battery type/life, and viewfinder. My backpacking camera tends to be my Canon S3IS, which also takes AA batteries - So I bring one set of spares, and they can be swapped in my flashlight, etc. Small cameras that take AAs seem to be going the way of the dodo, albeit somewhat because new design lithiums can do better for the size. The main point being to know how many pictures you can expect, and how many batteries you should take with you. Also, I appreciate my camera has a viewfinder, which on a bright sunny day makes it much easier to frame the picture. It's also slightly easier on batteries. Some of that is matter of preference, but a 'smooth glass' backplane can be tough to see during the mid-day.
I picked up a new DSLR this winter, and it will take everything in my power to not be packing it for the next trip... Argh!
slosteppin
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by slosteppin »

I agree with your parents. I wear a broad brimmed hat for all my hiking. It is often very windy on IR, so I suggest a hat with at least a chin strap. I've been wearing a Tilley for several years, with the strap both front and back. It protects my face, ears and neck from the sun. The broad brim also keeps the head net out away from my face and neck.

I use a Panasonic DMC TS1 camera. There are several things I don't like about it. It uses camera specific rechargeable batteries. I carry an extra for 2-week hikes. This camera does not have a view finder, just the "'smooth glass' backplane" which is very difficult to use in bright sun. It only has 3X optical zoom.

On the good side the camera is shock proof and waterproof with 12 mp. My previous camera died the first day of a 7-day hike in Florida during a rainstorm. I missed a lot of pictures. I don't worry about getting my Panasonic out in the rain.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I tend to sweat a lot and found my Tilley style wide brimmed canvas hat to be much too hot for me while backpacking, although it's great for paddling. So I picked up a nylon vented one of the same style. It is somewhat cooler, but I still ended up using a bandana. So obviously a matter of personal preference, but you do need to protect the neck from sunburn one way or the other--I'm just more conscience about keeping the sunscreen on. However, I do like my old one not only for sun protection, but also in the rain and napping, like Tom said. And if you do need to pull out you bugnet, just put it over the hat and it keeps it away from your face. So I've considered packing it again, just to use in camp.

As for cameras, I'm a fan of the super-zoom cameras like Tom. I've had a couple Panasonic Lumix FZ series, very similar to the Canon S3 -- I think the latest Canons are the SX series now. I haven't used a Nikon 1 series, but don't see a lot of advantage in separate lenses in this class of camera. A fixed 24x or 30x zoom is going to cover anything you'll ever need. I also agree that a separate viewfinder is a must, which would be the biggest drawback of the Nikon to me. A quick look shows the current models of a Lumix FZ, Canon SX, and the Nikon 1 with a zoom all weigh just over a pound. They will all give you really good pictures. And for the record, I now carry a digital DSLR with one zoom lens in a chest pack. It all weighs about 5 lbs and I love it when I'm taking pics, but really wish I brought the little old Lumix when heading down the trail.

slosteppin - Our daughter has the same TS1. It's great for her cause she has a history of destroying cameras. Not the greatest pic quality, but it's still working, so there can actually be pictures :)

Some sites to check out:
http://dpreview.com - best site for comprehensive reviews of just about any camera and active discussion boards
http://bhphoto.com - online retailer with active customer reviews. I look there a lot, just for reviews.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Tampico
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by Tampico »

I have one of these; a bit expensive, but unless you lose it, you'll never buy another hat.

If you do lose it, they'll give you 50% off on a new one.
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

As for a camera, I'd buy something that is small, compact and water resistant. Since most of my photos are taken on the trail or at camp, I like a lens that has a zoom range that favors the wide-angle over telephoto. As for brands, they're all good so pick a camera that fits your budget. It also helps to try a camera out first. How it fits in your hands can be just as important as image quality.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

I usually just rock a trucker cap while on IR (the ones with the open, net back). Keeps the sun outta your face and bugs outta your hair. That's all you really need.

However, going in early June? You're going to want to bring TWO hats...a hiking hat, and a warmer hat for the cool nights, especially if you are along Lake Superior. Doesn't need to be a thick, heavy hat. I just use a light merino wool hat that packs down tiny, like this: http://arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Men ... LTW-Beanie#

As for a camera, that's almost a whole other thread. Don't you have a digital camera now? If you do, I wouldn't buy anything special...just learn how to make your existing camera shoot right for Isle Royale. Learn the features, like white balance and ISO and all that good stuff. Unless you just want use "going to Isle Royale" as an excuse to buy a new camera!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Unless you just want use "going to Isle Royale" as an excuse to buy a new camera!
LIKE!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

I'll typically wear a Boonie Hat and also take a stocking cap to sleep in & use as a coozy for re-hydrating freezer bag meals.

The camera is a point and shoot lumix from Panasonic that has since been discontinued. http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/index.html
BigErn
NewbieCake

Post by BigErn »

Thanks for all the replies. I think we may end up going with fold up baseball caps just to help with sweat and sun. I've never been a fan of full brimmed hats, and I think it may be annoying with the full pack. We have sunscreen packed to prevent neck burn.

Fonixmunkee, I didn't think of bringing a stocking hat. I'm used to the nice balmy June weather in north central Illinois, but we'll definintely plan to pick up a couple beanies. Arcteryx seems nice, and I can also say I actually own a piece of their clothing as it is usually out of the price range :)

Regarding cameras, she has a real old (and slow) digital, but we were thinking of getting something a little better with a quicker shutter speed and better zoom for those potential brief wildlife encounters. After reviewing the Nikon J series further, I don't think it would suit our needs. I'm thinking now about a Powershot that would have a Viewfinder. Nothing that would break the bank but would provide some decent shots.

We wanted to go with a DSLR, but like Tom, I had the same issue of having to bring it with knowing a fox would most likely run off with it.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

I've hauled a DSLR out to IR. It's not bad if the trip isn't to bad. I don't know if I'd haul it on the Minong for instance.

If you are looking for a good point and shoot, I'm a huge fan of the Panasonic Lumix line. I've used it all over, in many types of conditions. It shoots great, and is very durable.
Losttrekman
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Losttrekman »

I used a wide brimmed hat for the trip, 1st time ever and I liked it... to each his own really...

For photography gear I brought the following:

Nikon D800E w/grip
Nikon 24-120 f4
Manfrotto Carbon Tripod and Ballhead
And all the gizmos associated..

My girlfriend brought far more.... :D
I'm the Losttrekman...
zims
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by zims »

hat: baseball style with a bandana back up, on hot and sunny days use a cool wet bandana hanging off the back of your hat to protect your neck and keep you cool, baseball hat helps with a head net like everyone has said and a bandana works at anytime for everything!
camera: I have gone to just a small pocket point and shoot, switch out your aa's for lithiums and put a ziplock in your pocket to keep it dry.
they will take great pictures. remember its your picture your taking, your memory your making, take lots!