Recommended sleeping bags / pads for IR

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Wilderness Junkie
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Recommended sleeping bags / pads for IR

Post by Wilderness Junkie »

Ok, so there is some random data scattered around and hidden within various threads regarding sleeping bag and pad recommendations for IR. I figured I would start up a new, specific thread to address the topic. I know I severely underestimated bag temp requirements on my first trips and hopefully this will keep others from making the same mistake.

I'm personally shopping for a new bag right now. I've been on the island 3 times, all in late May / early June. The temps were all consistently in the mid 40s-low 60s during the day and upper 30s - mid 40s at night. On my recent trip, I used a Lafuma 40deg synthetic down bag along with a cheapo $10 foam pad and I slept horrible. I had to add a second layer of clothing to stay warm at night and the cheapo pad did almost nothing to soften the rocks and roots while in my tent nor the hard wood floor in the shelters. My plan is to purchase a high quality 15-25 deg bag and just vent as needed if the temps are warmer.

Please share your successes and failures so that myself and others can benefit from your / our experiences. Please make sure to include 'when' these experiences took place!

Thanks so very much!!
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Recommended sleeping bags / pads for IR

Post by IncaRoads »

I carry a 15 degree down bag and vent as needed if I am too warm. My trips have been late May / early June and early September. I am a cold sleeper and prefer a warmer bag.

My pad is a self inflating full length 3 season. Works fine in a tent. However, it leaks away too much heat when I am in a shelter on a cold night due to the cool air circulating under the floor.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

If going in May or after Labor Day, I use a 30 degree down bag. I tend to sleep warm. If backpacking, I use a thermarest prolite 1" 3/4 length pad. Kayaking, a thermarest 2.5 inch LE full length pad. If I was going later in the season, I would bring a 10 degee down bag. So that if I missed the last boat, I could survive Winter on the Island.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I carry a MH Lamina 35 synthetic bag and silk liner @ 2 1/2 lbs, and an Exped UL7 pad @ 1lb. I'm comfortable into the 40s without a base layer. My I.R. trips are generally mid-summer, but if I ever do an early or late trip I'd probably add a warmer liner as opposed to a new bag. I like the layered approach to sleeping as well as clothing. The combination has worked well for me the last year, especially compared to the 9 lbs it replaced :). I may still use the old Thermarest Basecamp pads for canoe trips if we're carrying Duluth packs, mostly just for the width.

Unlike some bags, I think this bag is pretty accurately rated (EN comfort of 41 deg) and it packs amazingly small for a synthetic. Smaller than a 20 degree down bag anyways--all I have for comparison. I looked at down bags, but I just like knowing it can get wet, even though I can't remember a trip when a wet bag was an issue for me.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

Your synthetic bag may be just fine with a better pad; I like the inflatable Exped pads also.

An interesting article/post from GT on another web board I occasionally visit.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr ... nce-hikers

GT pad choice: "The conclusion for me is that a robust inflatable pad like a TAR Prolite is, although far from being perfect, the best compromise between weight, bulk, comfort, price and durability."

Gear selection is always a fluid thing. Looking for something lighter and not sacrificing performance.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

You're right that you probably slept horrible. You need a good pad. It's 50% off a good sleep. Get an inflatable pad and be very, very happy.

Also, you need a warmer bag. Temps may SAY 30 degrees, but have you ever heard the expression, "cooler by the lake?" On Isle Royale, you are ALWAYS cooler by the lake, because you ARE by the lake. That's not to say the ambient temp isn't 30...it's the wind and breeze that adds the extra minus ten.

I use a 20 degree Valandre bag with an inflatable ThermaRest pad I got from SteepAndCheap.com. The inflation makes the difference on IR. Also, don't cheap out on a pillow. I got a nice Slumberjack stuff-able pillow and then I use my down sweater as another pillow. That also helps.

And you are right on with synthetic. You might get wet on IR, especially if you are breaking camp in the rain. Synthetic dries out faster than down. Although I use a down bag, I long for a synthetic when I'm in the rain..
Wilderness Junkie
LNT Expert

Thanks for all the feedback and great info! I'm sure many future visitors will find it useful.

So here is what I finally ended up with and what I will experiement with on my trip in May:

North Face Kazoo 30deg down bag (Long 2lb 3oz) - main reasons for choosing this bag was the size of the cut (I have a lumberjack physique), good 'tweener' bag (I can always add a liner or unzip to vent), price and wieght.
Z-lite short pad (10 oz)
Blue closed cell foam long pad 1/2" thick trimmed to mummy style (14oz)

I know it's not the lightest set up, but hopefully it works. I was all for purchasing a new inflatable pad, but I'm just soooo gunshy of leaks (and somewhat broke since I bought a new bag, boots and tent this year :shock: ). I know it's irrational and I'm 99% safe, but figured I would give this set up a try since I already own it. The 2 foam pads stacked seems significantly more comfortable than the old, $10 'Field and Stream' pad that I used last year.. Seems pretty darn comfortable on my slab basement floor.

Oh yeah, and I also have a nice Thermarest pillow that picked up last year. Works out really good even though it's pretty bulky.
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Post by drobarge »

Wilderness Junkie
LNT Expert

Too funny. I mean come on, what the heck kind of name is that for a sleeping bag? Not to mention the fact that I can leave my distress signal flag at home since the dang thing is 'solar flare' yellow....
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

It really depends on you. If you are comfortable sleeping on a cement floor, you may not need need much of a pad to sleep in a shelter. If pack weight is not that important to you, maybe a Big Agnes air mattress will work. Weight and comfort are both important to me, so I spent the money and got a NeoAir. Beyond that, camping on I.R. is not really all that technical. Get a sleeping bag that keeps you warm in weather a bit colder than what you expect to encounter and test it before you go.
NancyT
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 10

Post by NancyT »

Mike and I both switched to the neoair, we had the self inflating Thermorests before, but they were heavy. The neoairs are thicker and weigh less! I love mine, can't imagine using anything else.
~ISLE ROYALE INFO~
"A Comprehensive Guide to Isle Royale National Park"
http://www.isleroyale.info
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

DonNewcomb wrote:If pack weight is not that important to you, maybe a Big Agnes air mattress will work. Weight and comfort are both important to me, so I spent the money and got a NeoAir.
It really depends on what your comparing to between the two lines. The Insulated Air Core from Big Agnes is basically the same weight as the Neo Air. I love my BA pads as I don't care for the horizontal baffles.