Garmin Chart for Isle Royale

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Garmin Chart for Isle Royale

Post by Ingo »

Does anyone know if the Garmin Inland Lakes map is any good for Lake Superior around I.R.? We'll be canoeing and want it mostly for fishing--and backup navigation, but if we really need that we'll probably be in trouble :shock: . Or should I look at the BlueChart. Just have an older handheld GPSMAP 60CSx so that's overkill, but want good depth data.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: Garmin Chart for Isle Royale

Post by Tightlines01 »

Hey Ingo,
I have the same GPSr Garmin 60 csx and I have the inland lakes with Fishing Hotspots software. It does not have any depths for Superior, or the inland lakes. I zoomed in to .2 miles scale (usually shows contour lines at .5 miles) and checked Siskiwit, Desor and Ritchie along with the northern shore of Superior and Rock Harbor. NOTHING.

If your looking for depths for fishing it won't do much good. If you want it for Navigation, it's my primary tool for my four trips I've taken. I've got some Topos installed on it and every trail and campground is on it. Very handy while hiking (could be helpful for finding the campgrounds while canoeing).

Hope that helps
Andy.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Garmin Chart for Isle Royale

Post by Ingo »

Thanks Andy that's what I need to know. Guess I'll need the Bluechart. At least I'll have NC coastal waters too :) . Or maybe we'll just go with the old fashioned kind...
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH