No Cook?

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

alecto73
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

No Cook?

Post by alecto73 »

I was reading the thread on wood burners and I saw XJeepr mention going 'no-cook'. I am not sure I am ready to give up my beloved pro-pack Beef Stroganoffs but as a weight weenie it got my attention. So I'm curious if XJeepr or anybody else backpacks stove-less and what they bring for food. I decided to try running my Hubba this year which is much heavier than my Hexamid (but I know it can handle U.P. weather) and my base is back up over ten pounds again. Obviously I have to do something about that! ;-)
|| Jess ||
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Re: No Cook?

Post by Tightlines01 »

I generally cook only suppers. Granola bars, Trail mix, cheese crackers, meat sticks or Jerky, power bars, peanuts , etc are some of my no cook staples.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

you can make any meal no cook, it just takes longer to rehydrate (think a couple hours). When you are supper hungry on the trail even cold soup tastes good ;) If going no cook I eat breakfast then put water in the lunch bag, hike till lunch and eat it and put water in the dinner bag... it is hydrating while you walk, and ready to eat when you are.

I generally pack the stove anyway... hot foods on a cool night are worth the weight to me.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

I can't imagine not bringing some way to at least heat water for tea/coffee. If you can't sit by the side of the lake with something steaming hot to drink, why bother going at all?
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

I hear ya on the hot coffee.after 3 days on the island my dad finally got sick of hearing me grumble about cold instant coffee he fired up the stick stove for me. I think it was the best darn cup of coffee i have ever had!!! We went from island mine to desor that day with it raining and snowing and practcally blowing us off of the ridge .hot soup was the thanks he recieved.moral of the story is a hot drink in the belly equalls happy campers8-)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

I hike with my son quite a bit. A hot meal feeds the beast and he's not nearly as grumpy with belly full of something warm twice a day. When I'm by myself, I'll no cook if it's warm. I do the same thing as lucky chicken.
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

I bring Logan Bread as my no cook meals. OTOH, if you are bringing Logan Bread, then weight savings is not really an issue.

It came in handy when I ran into a momma moose and calf moose that decided to hang out right outside of my shelter at Washington Creek for an extended period of time. Stove was on the table outside while I was hiding inside the shelter. Hunger overcame my fear and so I had a meal of some squares of Logan Bread. You never know when having a no cook meal will come in handy.