What are you spending your REI dividend on? 2014 edition

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: What are you spending your REI dividend on? 2014 edition

Post by DonNewcomb »

I think everything I bought at REI last year was on sale. I don't have any dividend this year.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

DonNewcomb wrote:I think everything I bought at REI last year was on sale. I don't have any dividend this year.
Same same
rlong02
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by rlong02 »

I am seriously considering the Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite Sleeping Pad and/or a pair of Black Diamond Trekking poles. Both pretty expensive items, but I will get the most out of my 20% off coupon and my $60 dividend I suppose!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Well my wife kinda forced me into the smartphone era this week--she decided to go there and it wasn't any more for me to go along. So now, probably a LifeProof case for my new iPhone. (but keeping my flip phone around, just in case I can't handle it ;) )

I see my dividend is posted, but need the 20% off coupon! Maybe tomorrow?
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

rlong02 wrote:I am seriously considering the Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite Sleeping Pad and/or a pair of Black Diamond Trekking poles. Both pretty expensive items, but I will get the most out of my 20% off coupon and my $60 dividend I suppose!
I own both products, and love them. I'm actually on my second NeoAir. I had a 3/4 sized one to save some weight & space, but it's so dang small, I just went and bought a full-length one. And I've had my BD trekking poles for about 10 years. They are still working great...they collapse down fine, the straps are still intact, and the springs work. I even use them for snowshoeing in the winter.
Ingo wrote:I see my dividend is posted, but need the 20% off coupon! Maybe tomorrow?
My dividend mailer came in the mail two days ago. I'm sure yours isn't far behind.
Kevinl
Bushwacker

Post by Kevinl »

Mine came yesterday. I'm shocked how much I spent there in a year, especially considering the closest store is 90 minutes away (thank you interwebs!). I guess I've bought so much I don't feel like I need anything. But you guys have me thinking. Hmmm.

I've got a Hubba Hubba and love it, but considering some kind of 1P tent or bivy sack, or hammock tent. Just playing around online.

Or another pair of Hoka running shoes.

Or both.
Gimp
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by Gimp »

I got a $114 rebate that I hadn't expected. Today I bought a new Gregory Baltero backpack to replace my old, reliable Gregory Shasta that I've carried for hundreds of miles. I have a bit of an emotional attachment to gear like boots and my pack so it was hard to give up my old Gregory, but the material was starting to degrade after 14 or 15 years of use. The new Gregory felt much the same as the old when I tried it on today, plus it had so many nice improvements. I started out with a sense of regret, but am feeling quite pleased right now. A $349 dollar pack minus 20%, minus $114, minus another $70 dollar gift card I'd been sitting on made it a real steel.
fredly
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by fredly »

Bought socks and tent stakes. Used my dividend, but not the 20% off...yet.
Kevinl
Bushwacker

Post by Kevinl »

Found a Mountain Hardwear SuperMega UL1 tent in the scratch and dent and used the dividend for it.
alecto73
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by alecto73 »

zims wrote:I am looking at a new water filter. Possibly the Platypus Gravityworks Water Filter System - 4 Liter. I currently use a katadyn. Its time for some new water bottles too.

I recommend you take a look at this "system". It is not for everyone but for weight watchers it is tough to beat. Both items are available at REI.

http://youtu.be/V2sGJQmyGZQ
|| Jess ||
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

Finally got myself a new pair of hiking boots. Zamberlan 310 Skill GTX. And some Superfeet insoles. And some Nikwax waterproofing wax. And I still had some $ left over. Lots of car repairs and beer charged to my REI VISA last year gave me my largest refund ever.