Cordage

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

MattC
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Cordage

Post by MattC »

Can anyone recommend strong, small diameter cordage? Looking for something better than what Home Depot offers
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Cordage

Post by Ingo »

Kelty TripTease LightLine is all I use any more. Very light and strong with a Dyneema core and 1 oz per 50 ft. It holds knots well (like a taughtline hitch) and unknots reasonably easy considering it's small size. I've replaced all my guylines with it and all I carry anymore--even when car camping, I like it that much. It is a little pricey and will burn your hands if it's really tight and slips through them, but both those come with the territory. Also need to be careful on trees because of the small size.
http://www.kelty.com/p-136-triptease-li ... s-shelters
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker

Post by Lucky Chicken »

Ive never tried Ingo's TripTease, but I am a big fan of the standard 550 paracord. I get mine from here http://www.supplycaptain.com/index.cfm? ... gory_ID=19. You can get it in almost any color or patern and it is 550lb test strength so it will hold you up if you need it to! You can also take it appart and use the inside strands for fishing line or any other small cordage.

I might be a bit of a gear/ survival geek but I bring a coil of paracord for hanging food bags, I have an "emergency" stash wrapped around my knife sheath, and my shoe laces are paracord... makes them more usefull ;)
MattC
LNT Expert

Post by MattC »

Thanks for the replies! TripTease says their 50ft strand weighs only 1oz?! Does that seems right, Ingo?
LuckyChicken, the price is hard to beat for the 550! What do you suppose the weight is for a 50 footer? And I've never heard of paracord shoe laces! Now I must get some! With all my gear and approx food supply I'm getting near 35lbs. Every once counts from here! :mrgreen:
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Yes, I've verified that 50' of the TripTease is 1 oz. Which was my original motivation to try it. Kelty doesn't publish a breaking strength or working load, but I'd bet it's as strong as 550 paracord--I've strung some good loads on it to where you could pluck it and play a tune :). In general, the Dyneema used for the core has probably the best strength to weight ratio of any rope material--it's used in place of steel cable on winches and such, in larger sizes of course.

Paracord is roughly 3.5 oz per 50' (according to Wikipedia, so it's gotta be right, right?). But that sounds about right to me. It is larger, softer and stretches more, which can all be desirable, and as Lucky points out you can separate the strands for other uses. So more versatile as a survival tool. And 1/4 the price. As with most things, it's all a trade-off.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Gimp
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by Gimp »

Real Mil Spec 550 parachute cord weighs about 0.07 ounces per linear foot so that adds up to the 3.5 ounce figure that Ingo found for a 50 foot section. There are seven strands inside the outer covering and you can pull each individual strand out if you need a thinner emergency line for a tie down or fishing line. I used 550 cord as boot laces for my field jungle boots when I was in the Army. Even after you've pulled out each internal strand, the outer nylon covering still worked as a boot lace. There is a newer 750 mil spec cord that has 8 strands, but that's probably harder to find. There are also commercial brand "para cord" options that you need to be wary of. They may or may not have the same number of internal strands, and they may or may not have the same tensile strength as the military stuff. Obviously the weight will vary, but they're all pretty strong for the weight. Depending on what you're doing with the cord the thinner stuff could be lighter in weight but more difficult to use. For example, if you use the cord to string up a bear bag, the thin stuff will cut into your hand as you pull on it. The 550 cord is just thick enough to pull on, although I've often wrapped the free end around a thick stick and pulled it that way. I always carry a 50-foot section with me while backpacking although I've opted for the more colorful grades. The green military stuff is too hard to see sometimes. Make sure that you singe the end of the cord every time you cut it as the stuff will start to unravel very quickly.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker

Post by Lucky Chicken »

I haven't measured it recently but what ingo and gimp spec sounds about right.

you can tell the good stuff from the cheap off brand stuff because the off stuff may not be rated and will have small "hairs" hanging off the sheath material.

best place to find shoe laces.... cut them off the end of a section.
MattC
LNT Expert

Post by MattC »

awesome. thanks for the advice, guys. Think I will pickup some 550. I like how versatile it can be.
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Ingo wrote:Kelty doesn't publish a breaking strength or working load
I have seen several places state the maximum tensile strength is 188 pounds. None of the sources were Kelty though. If true the Kelty has a strength to weight ratio 20% higher than 550 cord.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
fredly
NewbieCake

Post by fredly »

I bought 100' of Reflective Glowire from Lawson Outdoor Equipment.
http://lawsonequipment.com/Reflective-G ... -p975.html

Really good stuff!
DonNewcomb
IR Expert

Post by DonNewcomb »

There are a number of vendors on Amazon selling Dyneema cordage at various prices.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

For example, if you use the cord to string up a bear bag, the thin stuff will cut into your hand as you pull on it.
I use the small stuff to hang food without any problems. Probably wouldn't use it to hang a whole pack though. It's not always comfortable on the hands, but no real issue if you're a little careful--I wouldn't want it running through my fingers.

I was probably a little excited when I said I'd bet the stuff was as strong as 550 paracord, and would lose that bet. But plenty strong for anything I need it for.
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Just a tip for it cutting into your hands ......wrap a stick in the line before u pull up your load.Let the stick take the pressure ....not your hands! Just a thought for cordage try some zing it throw line, we use it in the arborist industry for hauling up work lines into trees.it is a bit pricey for 180 ft for 25 and change....500 lb test.super abrasion resistant ( sherrilltree.com).... throwlines. I dont have a weight for it but I could weigh mine and get back to ya............180 ft. is 5 ounces

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
MattC
LNT Expert

Post by MattC »

that sounds awesome, treeratt. Unfortunately i already ordered some 550. Only use will be to hoist a sea to summit foldable bucket and alternative use as a clothes line.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker

Post by Lucky Chicken »

MattC wrote:that sounds awesome, treeratt. Unfortunately i already ordered some 550. Only use will be to hoist a sea to summit foldable bucket and alternative use as a clothes line.
Only planned use maybe ;) I always find new ways to use cord when I go out... It's like duct tape it fixes everything!

Went out on a weekend trip with a buddy and didn't think anything about it, then half way through his boot sole started coming off the shoe, some well place paracord and duct tape... got back to the car safely!