MSR stoves

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

MattC
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

MSR stoves

Post by MattC »

Really happy with the MSR stove (whisperlite) super light weights and folds into a small bag.
A question I do have is I cannot find an approximate burn time for the 30oz fuel bottle. 20oz is approx: 139 minutes which is good. Would it be safe to assume I could add another 40min-1hr for the extra 10oz?
Input is definitely appreciated!
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: MSR stoves

Post by Redbad »

I have a Dragonfly and a 32oz fuel bottle. I don't know about head to head fuel consumption between a Whisperlite and a Dragonfly, but the range of 180-240 minutes of burn time seems consistent with my experience. Suffice it to say that I still had more than a third of the fuel bottle full after a 2 week solo trip to ISRO.

One thing to keep in mind is that MSR white gas and multifuel stoves were engineered for mountaineering purposes and as such are probably over engineered (and heavy) for summer backpacking purposes. There are lighter stoves out there that are adequate for summer backpacking and which weigh a fraction of what a fully loaded white gas stove weighs. This may be important for keeping your pack weight down.
MattC
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: MSR stoves

Post by MattC »

at 14oz for the stove I though that was pretty good. And its compact.
I read a lot of reviews before purchasing it and was attracted mostly by the life span of it. Saw people that have had same stove for over 30 years. Lifetime guarantee wasn't bad either.