Trekking Poles

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

mcmaho37
NewbieCake

Re: Trekking Poles

Post by mcmaho37 »

I have to say, we ended up not using poles because we met 4 people at REI who said we wouldn't need them. Those people must not have hiked the greenstone. Like I said in my first post, my wife and I are both in awesome shape. However, if I ever see these 4 people I will break a trekking pole over their heads! LOL Just kidding! I so wish I had them. We ended up finding a stick to use which helped. My knees hurt for about a week-10 days following the trip. I highly recommend poles for sure. But man, what an amazing place! It was one of the best trips I have ever been on in my life.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

On my recent trip I found that when I was dragging a bit, just the act of using the poles forced me into a rhythm that kept me going at a quicker pace. I'm carrying some extra weight around my middle section and after 40+ miles over 4 days, I had zero aches or pains in my knees. Trekking poles for the win!
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

mcmaho37 wrote:I have to say, we ended up not using poles because we met 4 people at REI who said we wouldn't need them.
So you believed strangers at REI and ignored the wise advice from the experts here on the forums? Bad move. Don't let it happen again. :wink:
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Lucky Chicken »

I wonder if REI new there employees were telling you not to buy something how happy they would be about that? lol

Inca... I think your post should say (advice from the "experts" here) I appriciate the upgrade though ;) Everytime someone says "expert" i think of this... http://news.dice.com/2014/04/04/hilario ... -engineer/ enjoy
JonG
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by JonG »

I use a single pole. It has saved me some face plants and I feel it has extended my years of backpacking since a hip replacement 9 years ago. It also doubles as a pole for my silnylon tarp set up. My kids were grateful I had it last week while crossing some wet areas last week. I led the way using my pole as a third leg and then once across would hand my pole to the next one.
mcmaho37
NewbieCake

Post by mcmaho37 »

Inca Rose, I learned my lesson!!