Tent question

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

minneapolisguy34
NewbieCake

Tent question

Post by minneapolisguy34 »

I visited the Isle for the 1st time last July. I brought my GF and our 1.5 year old son. We stayed in the Windigo Cabins and had a great time. I know understand why Isle Royale is the most revisited park we have (rightly so). I would like to return this summer and have a more traditional back packing trip (sleeping in a tent!) but I don't think I will bring my son or GF with me.

I don't currently have a tent. My question is should I target a 1 person tent (which based on my research should really be a 2 person). Or a 3 person tent? I have read reviews on the LL Bean Mountain Light XT 3 person tent($259.00). It weighs a little under 6 LBS. They say its rated for 3 people plus gear. The reviews have been good (based on backpacker Mag)

Am I better off buying a lighter 1 person tent now, and buying another bigger tent as my son gets more able to carry his own weight? Or do you think I should buy the bigger tent now and grow into it?

PT 2- Sleeping bag.
North Face Cats Meow VS Eureka Silver City 30. Thoughts??
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Tent question

Post by hooky »

I can't comment on the tents other than to say that before I discovered hammocks, I would carry a 2 person tent if it was just me and 3 person if my son was with me. I wasn't too worried about an extra couple of pounds in my pack if it meant a little more room.

I have the Eureka Silver City 30 and it's not a 30 degree bag, IMO. I tend to sleep warm, but that bag in a tent on nights that dipped below freezing on my first trip to the island were some of the coldest nights I've ever experienced. I haven't used it in anything below 40 degrees since.
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

Can't speak to the sleeping bags don't have either of those, but my thought regarding the tents are ...

I like to have space in my tent, not be really cramped. It pays off when it's raining. I always figure one less person than what the tent is rated for. If it says three-person I figured ttwo comfortably. A two-man tent would constantly be one person.

If it was me I would probably get a decent two person tent that up larger tent for the family when they go. If it's just you and your young son or just do you and your girlfriend you'll be able to make do on the two person you'll just be a little tighter.
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

Lighter is better. I use the Tarptent Rainbow (2+ lbs., sleeps 1-2, not free standing) since I primarily backpack solo, and it is not nearly as claustrophobic as some single person tents.

http://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html

Or check out the Tarptent Double Rainbow which sleeps 2 comfortably for not much more weight or cost.

http://www.tarptent.com/double-rainbow.html

Edited to add: By lighter I mean, if going solo take no more than a solo tent. My previous solo tent was a MSR Hubba and I really liked it. It was freestanding and could be moved easily if the ground underneath was uncomfortable.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

IncaRoads wrote:Lighter is better.
Along this line, my brother owns a couple of Stephenson Warmlite tents. Lots of room and quite strong in a storm. OTOH, the price will take your breath away and they are fairly technical and delicate. For instance, the aluminum tubing used in the arches is not much thicker than the walls of a beer can. Accidentally step on an arch segment while erecting the tent and you've ruined the trip.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

For a solo tent, I'd look at the Kelty Grand Mesa 2 as perhaps the best value, especially if it's something you may only use once or twice a year. I've used one a couple times and it's a good solid tent at 4 lbs. And the best part, you can get it for $125.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

IncaRoads wrote:Lighter is better. I use the Tarptent Rainbow (2+ lbs., sleeps 1-2, not free standing) since I primarily backpack solo, and it is not nearly as claustrophobic as some single person tents.

http://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html

Or check out the Tarptent Double Rainbow which sleeps 2 comfortably for not much more weight or cost.

http://www.tarptent.com/double-rainbow.html
Those are slick setups. How are they when the bugs are out?
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

Well I will throw my hat into the ring :).This is the route I went.Eureka solitaire 1 man tent. This tent fit myself and my daughter till last year (5 yrs old) .For the money it is one bomproof little tent,I believe it was 65 bucks.It is unbelievable in its waterproofing, last summer It was in 2 inches of water after one storm...I was dry :). The only problem is in the foot pole according to reviews I read, they tend to break.So we did a little test My dad also has the same tent. We Electrical taped the weak spot on his and left mine alone.Mine broke in a bad gust after 2 yrs of abuse, his is still good as new.I have since replaced it with a form fit aluminum pole for a few bucks.With a few mods I dropped the weight down to 2.3 lbs.I replaced steel stakes with aluminum.I used fencing tie wires from Home depot....50 for $2.50 :) ..they are thin but very lightweight.

Since my 3 yr old son is joining my daughter and myself, last year I upgraded to an Eureka spitfire 2. Beautiful tent LOTS of room built really well, wonderfully waterproof. You can kneel with no problems 2 doors , full rain fly. It uses form fit aluminum poles and quick clips for set up.So easy a 5 yr old can put it up and take it down.I believe it weighs in at around 5lbs but once again with minor mods like stakes and loosing the stuff sacks 4 lbs easy.

I am from a little different school of thought.I would rather buy a little cheaper gear....yet still quality, and then not cry when something does happen to it.Or find a newer piece of gear, and then feel guilty about replacing an expensive piece of gear I just don't love.Equipment doesn't have to last a life time, just untill I have gotten my moneys worth ;) . That is my personal opinion though.I am very abusive to my equipment,kids, dogs,and rough treatment.

For sleeping bag I went with a Kelty cosmic down 20 degree bag.I like the bag, but if you are a cold sleeper I would go with a zero degree bag.I like to be roasty at night.For me it gets cool around 30°,but for a warm sleeper it would be fine.My daughter uses a down quilt ,and loves it.I have also added a synthetic quilt to my gear, and have used it comfortably to freezing.The quilts I make myself so I can't recomend a make and model for you.Quilts are pretty sweet though :)

Well thats my 5 dollars worth! Good luck to you in whatever gear you choose.

Glad to hear your headed back!
jerry
IR Expert

Post by jerry »

tree rattt's Eureka Solitaire is still less then $100 and found in many stores that carry camping equipment. Being under 3 pounds it helps to keep your backpack weight down. Mine has gotten me through several terrible thunderstorms at Isle Royale with no leaks. You could always get a tent for you and your son sometime in the future. Good luck minneapolisguy34!
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

Glad to hear you're hooked, Minneapolisguy34!

For a tent, a two person rated backpacking tent would do you better than a single. It will cover you and your son (or your spouse, but not both) up until the point he is ready to be on his own in a tent, which is about the time he's capable of carrying one... Unless you're looking at the uber-lights, the weight from a single to two person isn't that much difference, and the extra room even when solo is a big bonus. If you watch REI they'll often discount the REI Half Dome during sale time, and it's a popular and well rated tent for a reason. A good balance of value and specs. You could always rent, if you just can't make up your mind...
When looking for a tent, keep in mind how the rainfly works (since the vestibules add covered storage for your gear, when backpacking) as well as how you enter and exit. IMHO, having two side doors works better than a single end door. Also, if possible, try setting up and taking down the tent before you buy. Some go up easier and faster, while others, for reason's I can no longer fathom, still sometimes have odd, easily lost parts required for assembly. When it's cold, windy, and rainy, you'll appreciate the easy and fast route...

I've carried the NF Cat's Meow on many IR trips, and it's never let me down. I think I've had the thing for over twenty years, and I'm just starting to think about replacing it as my primary backpacking bag.. Only because dividend season is coming, and I'm having a hard time thinking of something to get, and figure, what the heck...
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Go with the two person tent. You'll always have plenty of room for just yourself and then if you ever want to take somebody else you could do that, too. I have used the MSR Hubba Hubba in its past three iterations, over the course of 15 years. It's my fave.
philranger
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by philranger »

I personally would find a friend and expose them to the beauty of Isle Royale. They might even have a tent you both can use. I've brought 4 other people to the island and have enjoyed each trek because of their uniqueness and experience.

As far as gear, I use a Eureka Apex. Mostly dry, even in very heavy rain and prolonged rain events. I have a Cat's Meow. It's rated to 20*, but I've only had it into the middle 30's and that was a stretch. The best thing about the Cat's Meow is the extra room in the shoulders and it's compaction. I've used it on all of my IR treks and it's held up well. No loose threads and it's easy to clean.
Isle Royale Trips: 2005-RH to Windigo via Greenstone. 2006-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2007-RH to Daisy Farm and back. 2008-Feltmann loop. 2009-McCargoe Cove to Chippewa Harbor. 2013-Minong Ridge. 2014-Windigo+Huginnin Cove. 2015-Lookout Louise to LC to DF to MB. 2018-McCargoe to Todd to HL to Malone Bay. 2021-Windigo/Huginnin. 2022-RH-DF-MB-CH
Sides
NewbieCake

Post by Sides »

If I was going by myself, I would use a hammock with a bug net and a tarp. When I go with my wife, we use a mutha hubba. That is opposite directions from one another, but it works for us. If you are backpacking by yourself, a three man tent takes up a lot of pack space. It also weighs a lot more than a one man tent or a hammock. Just a couple things to consider.
Lucky Chicken
Bushwacker

Post by Lucky Chicken »

by myself or with a friend I bring a Six Moon Designs Trekker, it is a one person intregated fly tarp style tent with netting. It uses trekking poles for support and is supper light. If my wife is going I'll bring a Alps Zephyr 2, it weighs quite a bit more but it's very water tight and has more wiggle room for the two of us. I bring a Lafuma Lightway 45-degree down sleeping bag and a Big Agnes air core insulated sleeping pad on most every trip and it has kept me warm down into the mid 30s (I am a warm sleeper) much above the mid 50s and I use it as a blanket to try to get rid of some of the extra heat.

I am all about weight so I tend to bring the lightest option available, there are lighter two person tents but my wife dosent go on very long or strenious hikes so it's not as big of a deal. If I am not less than 40lbs at the start of a trip loaded with food and water for a week I did something wrong in my planning.

Most important thing, get something you feel comfortable with carrying, setting up, and sleeping in. If it isnt comfortable for you your odds of wanting to go will be less, and noone wants that!
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

I have two tents and both are good options. One is a Big Agnes Scout UL2. The other is an MSR 2 person tent. The Scout is lighter but is not free standing. You use hiking poles for it. The MSR is free standing but a bit heavier. Both work great and will fit two people. The Scout is plenty light enough to act as a cavernous 1-person tent.

For sleeping bags, I use a Hammock Gear quilt. It weighs nothing and works great.