Pack: Size and Weight Recommendations for 4-6 days on IR

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

trailgoat_70
NewbieCake

Re: Pack: Size and Weight Recommendations for 4-6 days on IR

Post by trailgoat_70 »

First of all, Happy 4th of July everyone. Hope your holiday is filled with fun, sun and friends. I'm guessing many of you are out on the trail this weekend! :) My trip is just ahead....

Heading to the island in a week and finally have my gear and food nailed-down. I'll be on the island from 7/12 thru 7/19 and will have a starting pack weight of about 32 pounds w/food and water. It will likely increase just a bit as I haven't decided on my 'adult beverage' of choice yet. I decided against taking my Osprey Atmos AG 50 (a bit tight) and settled on my ULA Catalyst, which swallows gear and is significantly lighter. Funny, I spent this morning packaging my meals for each day and my entire food weight comes to 14 pounds. Since I'll be on the island 8 days, that is just about right for pounds-per-day for me. I'm very pleased with this pack weight, as it should drop into the lower-to-mid 20's a few days in. It always frustrates me when I get all my gear lined-up and it weighs only 16 pounds or so and then the dreaded food/water weight is tacked-on. Oh well, this will be my lightest load yet on Isle Royale and I'll be very comfortable and well-fed.

Since Jeremy was the original poster of this thread, curious to know if you've nailed-down the date for your trip and whether you've settled on your gear. Let us know how things are coming along! :)
"I am a happy camper so I guess I’m doing something right."

- Henry David Thoreau
Spinnister
NewbieCake

Post by Spinnister »

Hi! We're heading out to the island later this summer. Hubby for one week, and I'll be hiking back across the second week, by a different route.

I have a GoLite Jam2 (2600 cu inch), which is super-light, but way too small for this. I used it a few years ago for 1 week, and it was at its limit, as were my shoulders. That was 38lbs, including water. I also have a Lowe Alpine Contour IV (90 +15) that I got for Alaska 15 years ago. Huge, but a nice pack (although it has no external pockets, but I can get along without them). And bombproof. But ~6 lbs and, well, really big.

I will have 9 days solo, so for those days will have all the food, tent parts, filter, fuel.... You get the picture. I need more space/weight capacity than the Jam2. While the LA can easily pack way more gear than I will take, will I regret that it is SO large? Or just cinch it down and be happy? Or bite the bullet and look for a good deal on a ~65L? I'd rather not spend that money (okay, I'd absolutely love to go pack shopping, but want to be fiscally responsible here). Yes, there is an unfilled niche in my backpack supply, but is it really necessary to fill it?

Opinions? I see a lot of 50-65L recommendations here, but is it necessary for me to pare down the pack size that much, as long as I am careful not to overpack? I am not a super minimalist backpacker - I don't do it that much, and I'll be out there for 16 days. And it might be nice to NOT have my pack crammed to the gills for a change.
trailgoat_70
NewbieCake

Post by trailgoat_70 »

Unless you have already found a new pack that fits you well and will fit all your gear, I'd stick with the Lowe Alpine for this trip. You're familiar with it, it most certainly will hold all you need (and then some! :)) Six pounds is certainly heavy for a pack, but I carried a 5+ pound Gregory Shasta during my first two trips to Isle Royale and didn't regret it one single bit. You'll be carrying a fair amount of weight during the 9 day solo return--your food will weigh close to 20 pounds if you follow the 1.5-2 pounds per day routine. I just Googled the LA Countour IV and remember seeing reviews of it in Backpacker when it was released. It appears to have a nice compression system on the outside, which would allow for it to hug a smaller load. If the top lid is removable, you could probably save a bit there. I'll bet that lid weighs more than half-a-pound. I would agree that a 50-65 liter pack is nice to have in your quiver--It can work for an overnight or 5-to-7 days. Very flexible. I used a Gregory Z55 for years before I decided to sell it and get the Osprey Atmos AG 50. I think it's a fantastic size for most trips.

Just my two-cents.

Whatever you decide, I hope you and your husband have an awesome trip! I'm not gonna lie--I'm a bit jealous you get to spend a full two-weeks on the island! I know when my 8th and final day arrives, I'll wish I could stay another 7 or 8. :)

- Henry David Thoreau
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

trailgoat_70 wrote: It will likely increase just a bit as I haven't decided on my 'adult beverage' of choice yet.
1) Superlight: Everclear & Crystal Lite
2) My choice: Irish Whiskey, preferably Tullamore Dew.
3) For masochists: Beer or wine.
Spinnister
NewbieCake

Post by Spinnister »

Thanks Trailgoat!

I like the idea of leaving the top lid off - never though of that. Unfortunately that's where I keep my platypus - no hydration sleeve. No other compartments, actually, except the side pockets and the sleeping bag divider inside. So the lid carries that and snacks, tp, etc. the side pockets also carry water

To be honest, I've been plotting this for 5 years - took me until January to finally asked the boss about taking 2 full weeks off. I added another day when I sent out my official "heads-up I'm gonna be completely inaccessible for 2 weeks" email recently, for rest and laundry. He has not commented. :wink:

The first time we went to the island was in 2010. Took us 20 years to finally do it (and we live in the Keweenaw :roll: ). Anyway, after one week, I was not ready to leave. And have been scheming ever since.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

And I thought I was the only one with a Lowe Alpine! Mine is 30+ yrs and going strong. I've used it on 3-4 day trips, cinched up on the sides about all the way and been fine. Got an Osprey Aether a few years ago, so don't use the Lowe much now except on "who cares what you take" canoe trips. But when I do I'm reminded what a great pack it is, and still reasonably comfortable after all these years. Biggest problem with such a big pack is not filling it up, just cause there's room.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Spinnister
NewbieCake

Post by Spinnister »

Oops! Made a big mistake yesterday - stopped at the local outdoor gear shop to pick up a few little items. Just HAD to take a peek at the packs, of course. The mistake was actually trying some on, just for fun. Tried on the Osprey Ariel 65, Atmos AG 65 (with the clamshell waistbelt) and a couple others. Love the Ariel! It felt so "right" against my back (unloaded, though), reminding me how big & heavy and probably ill-fitting my LA is. Now I'm making up all kinds of justifications. Will probably go back and have them load a few up, once I finally justify spending that much, and get over my fear of downsizing that much.
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

For my two week trip to ISRO in 2011 I used my GoLite Odyssey. I love GoLite packs light weight. I hate GoLite packs suspension (or lack thereof). Under full weight they are a bear on your shoulders. I bought a REI Crestrail for an extended trip to Glacier NP and loved it.

Spinnster: If your midpoint is going to be at Windigo/Washington Creek, have you considered doing a food drop by mail at Windigo? Doing so would reduce your food weight by half and you would only need to pack one weeks food at a time. You might even be able to downsize your pack... Voyager II drops the mail for Windigo at the dock (they give the package to one of the resident Rangers who serves as postmaster who then hands the package to you). You cannot send fuel through the mail however. You can even use the package to send home items that you do not need...
Spinnister
NewbieCake

Post by Spinnister »

Thanks! We're going to look into this. Tried to stop at the NPS office in Houghton after work yesterday, but despite what the website says, they were closed. So, how does that work? Send through USPS to the Voyager? I was feeling defeated on sending myself a package after reading the store won't store food for you. Anyway, was hoping the visitors' center here could tell us.
Redbad
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Redbad »

Spinnister: The procedure for a food drop per Captain Don of the Voyager II: If you want a package delivered to Windigo or Rock Harbor it can go via US Mail, these are the only designated mail drops for visitors. Keep in mind that if you are not present to receive the package it will be left on the dock if you specify this, (technically, if it is US Mail we should return it as undeliverable but we know the circumstances involved so we don't) the park service staff is not obligated to collect and hold mail for visitors, not that they won't, but don't make that assumption, check with them in advance. It can go to the store on either end to be held but they have a per day charge for this. If you want something delivered to any other point on the island it will be delivered as a parcel and additional charges may apply.

The way to get a package by US mail is to address it to yourself care of the Voyageur II, Grand Portage, MN 55605, not Mary the postmaster, (this creates extra work for her and she has plenty to do already), on the package put either Windigo or Rock Harbor as this is where US Mail goes, we are the mail carriers for the island so there will be no other charges, the price you pay at your local post office to get it to the boat is the total. You can put a date on it, we will "try" to deliver on that date, you should also try to mail the package as close to the preferred delivery date as possible, the post office and the boat don't have the room to store or sort packages, when it comes in it gets delivered just like all other mail. Like I said we will try to get it to Windigo or Rock Harbor on your preferred date if it is marked on the package.

To get a package out other than by US Mail or to other points you need to get it to Grand Portage, that can happen by sending it through the mail, UPS, Fedex, or carrying it yourself if your trip originates in Grand Portage. Clearly mark, in several places on the package, your name, the date and place you want to pick it up. All packages will be left at the dock if you are not present to receive it, we will not take it back nor have we ever had a package taken by someone other than the owner. The cost for this is around a dollar a pound and you need to call the ferry office to arrange it. Your package will receive a ticket and become a passenger of sorts on our manifest for the trip, and will be scheduled for delivery on the date you specify.

The process is really very simple if you follow the instructions, remember that if weather or other circumstances prevent us from going, the mail and packages will be delayed as well but this can't be helped or anticipated. It is just the way things are on Isle Royale.
trailgoat_70
NewbieCake

Post by trailgoat_70 »

DonNewcomb wrote: 1) Superlight: Everclear & Crystal Lite

Thanks for the suggestions, Don. I like your choice best. Never tried the Tullamore--may have to give it a try! BTW, I've been that masochist who hauled wine on a short, weekend trip. Carried it in a collapsable platypus bladder. I also used to pre-mix gin and tonic for the first couple nights on a few trips.

- Henry David Thoreau
Spinnister
NewbieCake

Post by Spinnister »

Thank you, Redbad! This is information is extremely helpful!
drobarge
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 24

Post by drobarge »

trailgoat_70 wrote:
DonNewcomb wrote: 1) Superlight: Everclear & Crystal Lite

Thanks for the suggestions, Don. I like your choice best. Never tried the Tullamore--may have to give it a try! BTW, I've been that masochist who hauled wine on a short, weekend trip. Carried it in a collapsable platypus bladder. I also used to pre-mix gin and tonic for the first couple nights on a few trips.

I carried 18 PBR's from Windigo to N. Desor, and then 9 to little Todd this year !
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

drobarge wrote:I carried 18 PBR's from Windigo to N. Desor, and then 9 to little Todd this year !
Was that voluntary or were you shooting a remake of "The Eiger Sanction"?

Edited to add a short 2 minute video clip:
Eiger Sanction Beer Run
Last edited by Midwest Ed on Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
Tightlines01
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 7

Post by Tightlines01 »

drobarge wrote: I carried 18 PBR's from Windigo to N. Desor, and then 9 to little Todd this year !
Wow. Todd harbor or Mccargoe must have been a bummer for you after the fun the first couple nights.