Pack: Size and Weight Recommendations for 4-6 days on IR

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

MavTech77
NewbieCake

Pack: Size and Weight Recommendations for 4-6 days on IR

Post by MavTech77 »

Planning 4-6 days on Isle Royale. I know there are an infinite number of packs, volumes and gear options, but i wanted to hear from the IR family here what they think a good weight for a pack and volume in Liters for a pack would best suit a 4-6 day trip.

The goal is LIGHT Weight but also need room for 6 days of food.

I was thinking of getting the Osprey Atmos AG 65 (liter) pack from REI. I like the fit and the size would be plenty IMHO. I want to keep the pack to 35# or less. I have the MSR Hubba Hubba Tent with Gear Shed(vestibule), which i plan to use for the 2 of us going. My buddy Drew is bringing water filtration/purification (Something sawyer) and we will have clothes to suit the weather in Mid August (rain gear, warmth for evening/night, 30 degree bag, rain cover for pack. We plan to pack a lot of mountain house meals and other food.

Any thoughts and helpful opinions are welcome.

thanks,
Jeremy
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Re: Pack: Size and Weight Recommendations for 4-6 days on IR

Post by hooky »

You're going to get a bunch of different opinions and set ups, so here's mine. I did a 5 day solo last fall and my pack weight was 32lbs according to the scale at Windigo.

I had the following in a 50L pack:

6 days of food, consisting of SB Via coffee, breakfast, lunch, dinner, mid-morning and mid afternoon snack, 3 crystal lite lemonade packs. This was probably 1/3 of my weight and I brought 5 meals home with me.
Hammock with straps, ridgelines, tarp, stakes, bug net and closed cell foam pad.
Clothes - Rain jacket and rain pants,Insulated bottoms and top to sleep in, knit cap, long sleeve 1/4 zip shirt, fleece jacket, extra pair of socks
Sleeping bag and pack cover.
First aid kit
Kitchen - pop can alcohol stove, 8 oz's fuel, stick stove, 2 quart pot, 2 plastic spoons, hot sauce, aluminum foil wind shield, insulated cup for the coffee, water filter, 2 bic lighters, box of SA matches, dryer lint with candle wax.
Camera, phone, car keys, head lamp, Kindle, playing cards and 30 foot piece of dyneema for a clothesline.
16 oz's of bourbon and 3 cigars in a small xikar humidor.

I wore shorts, belt, shirt, gaiters, socks, boots, a small folding knife. a larger fixed blade knife and carried 2 trekking poles.

Outside of the 32lbs, I also carried a couple of quarts of water at the start of each day so that's another 4lbs.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

I agree that for a 4-6 day summer outing, a light alcohol stove will save a lot of weight, particularly if you just need to boil water. However, AFAIK, fuel alcohol is not sold on the island*. So, be sure to bring enough fuel.

Never leave the rain gear behind to save weight. For the same reason, you don't want to leave the tent behind. You can't count on getting a shelter.

*Someone please correct me if this is wrong.
MavTech77
NewbieCake

Post by MavTech77 »

Hooky,
Thank you for the detail. I will strive for 35# or less in my pack. Your detailed list helped me get some idea compared to what I've been planning to bring. I was thinking of taking a 65L pack but i might rethink that. Weight is my primary concern though.

Thank you both for your advise and patience with a NewbieCake
MavTech77
NewbieCake

Post by MavTech77 »

I've read more and more of the Forum and my question has been answered many times else where. But i guess the only relevance to my question is the many varied opinions and changes in gear that come out. Thanks to anyone who cares to chime in.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I have an Osprey Aether 60 which was fine for a 6 day backpacking trip. And I brought a camp chair, extra tarp, and Crocs for camp shoes. Here's my gear list https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... sp=sharing. It includes about anything I might bring, but only items with a "Qty" number show up in the weight totals. I take more extras on shorter trips or when paddling.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
tree rattt
May actually live on IR

Post by tree rattt »

I don't think any of us ever truely get our gear just right :) .Speaking for myself at least, tinkering with equipment and different loads is half the fun.

My pack is a 40 liter custom fit home built.I have packed this pack for 9 days of food and gear for myself and my daughter.Her pack is around 10L and holds her sleep pad, quilt, clothes and snacks+ 20 oz of water =5 to 6 pounds
As skill and experience increase your weights go down. Be brutal is my opinion. #35 to 40 pounds would be my 9 day tour weight. 24 pounds would be my 5 to 6 day weight solo,and that is still heavy in some folks opinion :) . I personally remove stuff sacks, heavy drawcords, extra packaging, absolutely anything and everything I can make lighter I do.I hate rainpants and won't wear them or bring them.I do carry a rain jacket though.Multifunction, but not novelty items are great for me. My cook kit is the cheapest 2 qt sauce pan wally world has ...and removed half the handle +a plastic charlie brown cup from the party section.I have switched to a quilt for anything freezing and above.I built my stick stove from plans online...youtube :) .I love the minimalist mindset.I guess in my rambeling my point would be, be creative. Gear doesnt have to break the bank to be great gear.
Last edited by tree rattt on Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Donk_67
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Donk_67 »

I have an Aether 70L that was plenty big enough for a planned 9 day stay on the isle. Note that there are lighter packs on the market, but Osprey makes a good comfortable pack, so yes 65L should work fine for your trip.
MavTech77
NewbieCake

Post by MavTech77 »

Everyone's experience, thoughts and opinions are very much appreciated. I'm excited to fall in love with this unique wilderness this summer. Thank you for helping me on the 1st half of my adventure: planning it! Maybe see some of you out there this August.

Jeremy
MavTech77
NewbieCake

Post by MavTech77 »

Got my new pack in the mail from REI. Got the Osprey Atmos AG-65. 65 liter pack with a new fangled suspension system. I'm excited and will fill it with some weight and go hiking tomorrow. Going to get a bunch of test runs in to be sure she's ready for ISRO in August.
Also purchased: Black Diamond Spot-headlamp, Pack Towl, 3 Liter water bladder by Osprey, and some other fun little stuff like new smart wool hiking socks. Its like hiking christmas for me. I enjoy gear that makes a trip that much more enjoyable. I sure hope my new pack lives up to the hype in the advertising. I like Osprey packs and i have 2 smaller ones a 38L and a 5 or 10L. This new suspension is way different so i'm crossing my fingers. I'll give you an update after some test runs.

Thanks for reading,

Jeremy
Midwest Ed
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Midwest Ed »

Jeremy,

Good for you. There is an old saying, "Watch the ounces and the pounds will take care of themselves." Have you cut the handle off your toothbrush yet?
8 trips, 1975 x 2, 1976 x 2, 1978, 1985, 2000, 2013
trailgoat_70
NewbieCake

Post by trailgoat_70 »

Jeremy-

Wondering if you've had a chance to put some weight in the Atmos AG and take her for a ride? I just purchased the Atmos AG 50 a few weeks ago. So far, I've only been able to load it with about 25 pounds and hike around my property with it. The suspension certainly is unique....and comfortable. The hip belt grip is unlike anything I've experienced on a pack before. Someone on another forum described them as 'lobster claws'. Not quite, but they do require the wearer to pry them apart to fit around the waist. You almost don't need to clip the belt they grip so well. The suspension really does distribute the weight across the entire body--not just shoulders or hips. I'm very impressed with the 'Anti-Gravity' suspension and cannot wait to toss another 5-10 pounds in the pack and do a weekend trip. Might be next weekend. I'll follow-up if I can swing it. I'm planning on using this pack for my July Isle Royale trip, so I want a few shake-down hikes with it before I commit. I also have an Osprey Aether 70, but would prefer to carry something lighter. My gear has gotten a lot smaller/lighter since I purchased that pack. Not sure I could fill it, even for a week on IR!
"I am a happy camper so I guess I’m doing something right."

- Henry David Thoreau
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Re: RE: Re: Pack: Size and Weight Recommendations for 4-6 days on IR

Post by fonixmunkee »

MavTech77 wrote:Got my new pack in the mail from REI. Going to get a bunch of test runs in to be sure she's ready for ISRO in August.
Nice! Sounds like you got some great gear. I'm glad to hear your going to take a few dry runs with all of it before you head out in August... IR is not the place you want to find out your pack sits wrong on you.

My friend swears by Osprey packs and even invested in getting the custom-fit waist band. He's never used anything else in 10+ years. I hope you are as happy as he. Keep us posted!
MavTech77
NewbieCake

Post by MavTech77 »

Trailgoat_70,
I really like the pack. The suspension is well designed. I have done 4.5 miles with 30 pounds and 8.5 miles with 40 pounds. It was surprisingly lighter to carry than you would expect with 40. The hug the pack gives you keeps the weight snug against you and moves nicely with you. It also has the mesh that keeps airflow between your back and the pack. i was not totally drenched like i normally get on my back. Pickign up a 40lb pack is much harder than carrying it. once you pry the "lobster claws" out and get them on you, tightening down the pack is easy and quick. I was surprised at how much the torso length can be adjusted and how this pack fits way different than other packs, especially with weight in it. I definitely recommend the pack to anyone looking for a 65 Liter pack. Its so much fun to have good gear. I'm kind of like a kid in a Candy store when it comes to new gear. Oh and a side note they are building an REI in Des Moines, Iowa!!! finally. but it won't be finished till after my ISRO Trip.

Fonixmunkee,
Thank you for your encouragement. The trail and forum communities are a good group and you are good people.

The dry runs are going well, no issues. PS- my goal for pack weight with water and food is 35 lbs (with 2-3 liters of water and 6 days food) i was using a dumbbell to get to 40lbs in my pack. it handled the weight like a champ. Oh and PS. I booked our Boat Reservation for our August 15-20th trip!!!! So pumped! PPS. I am applying for a new job. Say a prayer that i still get my time off to go to ISRO, those that pray. Those that don't, wish me luck. I might make it a condition of my acceptance !! Thanks to all who share and contribute to this forum and make ISRO the adventure i know it will be.
trailgoat_70
NewbieCake

Post by trailgoat_70 »

Glad you like the Atmos, Jeremy! I did get the Atmos 50 AG out for a quick overnight at was very impressed with the carry. I notice the 'lobster claw' hipbelt is beginning to stay open on its own the more I wear it. Truly innovative suspension on this pack from the folks at Osprey. I just wish the pack was a shade lighter, but it carries so well the extra weight isn't even noticeable. I also recently bought a ULA Catalyst and will consider taking that if I can get familiar with it in time. It's a pretty big pack, but almost two pounds lighter than the Atmos. I'll have to see once I get the rest of my gear dialed-in. I may be pushing it with 50L for a week+ on the island.
"I am a happy camper so I guess I’m doing something right."

- Henry David Thoreau