[Review] MSR Hubba Hubba NX

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

[Review] MSR Hubba Hubba NX

Post by fonixmunkee »

I used my REI dividend this year to upgrade my tent-of-choice: the two-person MSR Hubba Hubba backpacking tent. My current Hubba Hubba, purchased around 2010, is starting to show signs of aging, so I figured maybe a gear refresh was in order. I thought about purchasing the NX last year, but couldn't pull the trigger. Due to a stroke of luck, a healthy REI dividend, and a coupon code, the NX was finally mine. Below is an untested, setup-only review of the 2015 Hubba Hubba NX compared to the older Hubba Hubba, circa 2010.

Untested gear review facts
  • This is my third Hubba Hubba.
  • Set up in my yard, no field use yet
  • Still a two-door, two-vestibule configuration
MSR Hubba Hubba NX pros
  • Whole setup lighter than the Hubba Hubba by 14oz (my weigh test, not based on the advertised weights)
  • NX poles are lighter by five ounces (my weigh test, not based on the advertised weights)
  • Comes with its own USEFUL compression sack
  • More head room
  • Deeper floor basin
  • Open/close vents on the rainfly!
  • Door gutters & better zippers for keeping rain out of the vestibule
  • Really improved stake-out & rainfly loops
  • Comes with MSR's mini Groundhog stakes!
  • Reflective guy line all over!
  • Older tent footprints work with the NX
  • Smaller gear pockets...but...(see below)
MSR Hubba Hubba NX cons
  • I miss my bright-orange colored tent
  • Doesn't feel like there is more width or length
  • A little odd getting in and out of as the zippers on the rainfly and tent are opposite
  • ...smaller gear pockets are much stronger and won't stretch out as in previous iterations
Note that you can click any image to make it BIGGER.

First off, here's a comparison of the two tents. To the right (red bag, orange pole bag) is the older Hubba Hubba. This is currently in an uncompressed Granite Gear SMALL compression sack with the poles next to it. Generally when we go backpacking, someone carries the tent, the other person carries the stakes & poles. To the right is the NX, factory-packaged. And yes, the tent does get this small again after you take it apart and put it back in the provided compression sack.
1-packaged_side_1.jpg
Then I set up each tent next to each other, sans rain fly. To me, it doesn't appear that there's any major differences in dimensions. I felt that this was confirmed for me when I was able to take my old Hubba Hubba footprint and put it on the NX...it fit perfectly, telling me there's no difference in floor dimensions. I put up the older Hubba Hubba first. Then I grabbed the NX poles...and wow, could I tell a difference. They were thinner, smaller sectioned, and significantly lighter. They go together in the exact same hub-and-spoke configuration that's been throughout the other Hubba Hubba iterations. Also noticeable is that the NX has much less screen used. I'm not sure how I feel about this. To me, having a larger section of the tent being made of screen seemed to lighten the tent. It also made star-gazing without the rain fly a cinch. I guess only some field-time with the tent will see if this change is welcomed or not:
2-shelter_side_2.jpg
In this second view you can clearly see that the head space is much more lifted, making more room in the ceiling of the NX:
3-shelter_side_1.jpg
The next step as putting the rain fly on. The rain for the NX is extremely light when compared to the older Hubba Hubba. It almost feels soft, as well...but this could be because my older Hubba Hubba has many trips & UV rays under its belt. Throughout both images below, you can see the NX has larger vestibules:
4-full_side_2.jpg
Also note one of the pop-out vents on this image (detailed by the shadow it cast). This is an interesting addition to the NX: the "pole" that pops open this vent (located on either side) is a stiff piece of fabric that attaches to the text with a piece of velcro. The "pole" can than be released to allow the tent to seal up better by unvelcro-ing it from the vent flap and pressed against the rainfly. The only reason why I think I would ever close the vents is if I wanted to trap in some heat...otherwise they are made in such a fashion that rain would have to be literally coming from the ground to get into the vent:
5-full_side_1.jpg
Here's a few inside pictures, with obligatory dog inclusion:

In this photo, you can clearly see the gear pocket below the open/close vent:
6-inside1.jpg
Here's with two people and a sleepy dog inside the NX. If you look closely at our feet, there's about 10"-12" of free space below us. This is with our heads just slightly below the inside tent wall. We can easily sit up high on our elbows without our head touching *any* part of the tent wall. So legitimately, that dog can be sleeping down there...although she may get kicked if we're tossing and turning in our sleeping bags:
8-inside2.jpg
Finally, here's a profile shot of just the NX, sans rainfly, so you can get a real good feel for what it looks like with all the features. In this view, you really get an appreciation for how much MSR has opened up the head space area of the tent. You can also see that there are gear loops in the ceiling to hang a gear loft, schwag bag (which is what I have), or head lamp from:
7-outside.jpg
Final thoughts on the Hubba Hubba NX:
All the things that made the original Hubba Hubbas are here...light, easy-to-pitch, and roomy. I had both tents pitched in the same amount of time (about seven minutes). The dual-door configuration is still here...and as long as the Hubba Hubba is one of the few tents that have this--along with dual gear vestibules--this tent will be my go-to. Now, with the NX, MSR is trying to get this two-person tent into the ultra-light realm and almost succeeds.

Without any field use of this tent, its hard to pass final judgement. The weight and size reduction are absolutely welcomed. The dulling-down of the look of the tent stokes my (unwarranted) fear that MSR may be watering this tent down (that bright orange was a fantastic marker in the dense forest). The vestibule & door improvements seem like they are going to be a huge boon to this tent...the older Hubba Hubba's door configuration constantly let my gear get wet when raining. The addition of a run-off gutter and side-door zipper will be most welcomed.

Also of note is the rain fly & stake-out loops...these are much improved. They are made out of metal (instead of nylon), and are super-easy to adjust (they have a pull-loop to pull the rainfly and/or tent stake tight).

The tent is definitely lighter, too...there was a 5mph or so wind that would constantly move the NX around before I staked it out. The older Hubba Hubba mostly stayed in place.

Extra credit:
Here's the weights of each tent as measured on my kitchen scale:

Original Hubba Hubba weight (tent, rainfly, original sack, stakes):
og_hubba_hubba_weight.jpg
Hubba Hubba NX weight (tent, rainfly, originaly compression sack, stakes):
NX_hubba_hubba_weight.jpg
Original Hubba Hubba DAC poles weight:
OG_hubba_poles.jpg
Hubba Hubba NX DAC poles weight:
nx_hubba_poles.jpg
UPDATE 18 OCT 15: Here's two more updates on this tent:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2751&p=19371#p19365

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2751&p=19371#p19371
trailgoat_70
NewbieCake

Re: Untested gear review: MSR Hubba Hubba NX

Post by trailgoat_70 »

Nice review. Thanks for taking the time to take photographs and offer your thoughts. I'd say MSR did a fine job updating the tent--larger, more ventilation and a pound lighter! I agree, I've always been fond of the MSR 'orange'--the new white/red is certainly more low-key. Although, all that white on the fly should be pretty easy to find in the woods. I would love to hear an update on the tent once you get it into the field.
"I am a happy camper so I guess I’m doing something right."

- Henry David Thoreau
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator

Re: [Review] Untested gear review: MSR Hubba Hubba NX

Post by fonixmunkee »

Just spent a night in the state forest with this tent, the wife, and the dog. Worked awesome. Plenty of room for all of us.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

Thanks for the review. It appears to have a lot of sticks to form what amounts to a conestoga design.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Fonix,

Any updates on how this performed during the season?
Stephen
NewbieCake

Post by Stephen »

I have the MSR carbon reflex 2 man that I carried in a solo Aug. trip to the island and its similar to this one. I set it up at home in the spring before a thunderstorm then light snow with no issues. Excellent tent. The carbon reflex is lighter due to the difference in poles. Same basic design.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator

Re: RE: Re: [Review] Untested gear review: MSR Hubba Hubba NX

Post by fonixmunkee »

hooky wrote:Fonix,

Any updates on how this performed during the season?
I've used the tent a few times since this untested review, including a rainy trip to Isle Royale. It held up great in all of the adventures. One day on Isle Royale, it rained for--no lie--24 hours straight. The material was completely damp, but it never permeated any part of the tent.

Additionally, my hiking partner and I were able to comfortably stay/sleep both of us with a lot of gear *inside* the tent during the rain. The weight difference must be negligible, because I don't notice any difference carrying it over the other one (but, how could you?)

The only complaint I have is that the tent doesn't have that awesome orange color to the rain fly.

Very happy with my new Hubba Hubba NX, but I'm not completely convinced that it was worth upgrading over my older Hubba Hubba.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

Thanks for the update, Fonix.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator

Post by fonixmunkee »

Alright, I have one more update on this tent: I went camping this past weekend and put a few nights in it. Here's a couple more things I noticed:

- The dual-zippers on the vestibule doors are annoying. MSR added two zippers to each vestibule door that allows you to zip a hole to reach through. All it does is annoy me every time I try to open the zipper.
- The little pop-outs that create two nice little windows on either end of the tent seem like they are going to cause me problems. Every time I've set up the tent I've tugged on the velcroed opening a bunch, and I don't think it's longed for this world. I really like having the windows there, but it seems like I'm too clumsy when I assemble the tent and I'm going to tear it.