Trekking Poles: Carbon vs Aluminum?

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Spinnister
NewbieCake

Trekking Poles: Carbon vs Aluminum?

Post by Spinnister »

I got back from my trip yesterday. I used my 15 year old aluminum REI Traverse Antishock poles, with the twist lock adjustment. I don't really like them, although they did save my knees on this trip (2 years of roller derby just ended in June with a third knee injury). Anyway, they are noisy (one rattles a bit inside, and I'm frequently clanging them off rocks), clunky, I don't like the grips, and not crazy about the swing weight. So I want to get new ones. I have used carbon fiber poles for XC skiing for the last 25 years, so I know they are light and stiff, with virtually no vibration, and are much better than aluminum for that. But not so sure about rocky, rooty, treacherous footing, climbs and descents..... Falling on them.

Who here uses carbon fiber poles, and are they a risk? Or are the modern aluminum poles better / quieter, and just as good? I haven't read any reviews complaining about them.

Pretty sure I want Lekis, with the cork grips, but looking at my options (but can't look at anything in person).

While we're on the topic, what about z-pole type vs telescoping?
jemerick
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Re: Trekking Poles: Carbon vs Aluminum?

Post by jemerick »

I just used a pair of Komperdell Expeditions (carbon) for 9 days out there and loved them. Fell pretty good a few times and abused them more than once with no issue. They're z-pole. Never used aluminum so can't give too much thought on those, but very happy with these.
Spinnister
NewbieCake

Post by Spinnister »

That sounds promising. Did you get any good scratches on them? I think that would be the thing - nicking them on rocks, then having them fail later. I really waaaaaannnttt carbon fiber.
jemerick
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0

Post by jemerick »

Little scratches if any, and that included the ferry ride and plane ride out. There was one point where one completely gave out because I didn't tighten the joint enough that really spooked me. No damage though, just me being lazy :)