Female Gear List 1st Timer Isle Royale

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

jillbord
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 0
Location: Born in Escanaba, MI and currently in Nashville, TN

Female Gear List 1st Timer Isle Royale

Post by jillbord »

Hello everyone! I'm new and I've enjoyed hearing your specific responses to persons questions re: gear. The link below is a list of what I plan on taking. Any suggestions? We are going for 7 days, 6 nights the first week of August (Tuesday-Monday). This trip is our honeymoon and my man is carrying the light-weight 2 person tent, Jet Boil and fuel (he's 6'2" and 180lbs, he can handle it). Right now the pack weight is 18.13lbs, not including consumables.

I'm a 32 y/o woman, 5'4", 125lbs.I hike, I'm fit. I've done a few smaller trips (2-4 day trips) in Peru, Bolivia and Guatemala but never in the USA. I'm a Yooper, so I know it will be cold. I run very cold at baseline d/t an autoimmune disorder, so being warm is a necessity. Thanks so much in advance for any help!

http://lighterpack.com/r/6pcdbu
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Female Gear List 1st Timer Isle Royale

Post by Ingo »

Looks about right to me. A couple thoughts:
- 2L water is over 4lbs, just FYI.
- You may have more clothes than you'll need for Aug, but I don't want to be the one to suggest you bring fewer, and then are cold :). Unlikely you would see much into to the 40s, and 80s up on the ridge are not uncommon.
- I would bring 3 pair of socks. Wet feet are not good. I'd trade that for the gloves.
- A real compass. Wouldn't trust the one on the whistle. The trails are pretty easy to follow, but that's just one of those things I "don't leave home without".
- A SAM Splint. Although it was only after the 2nd time we needed (and were given) one on I.R. that I actually started carrying one.
- You shouldn't need a trowel since all campgrounds have pit toilets, and a stick or rock can do in an emergency.
- I'm a convert to the Lightload Towelshttp://ultralighttowels.com/. They're very light and absorbent and dry quickly. Kinda like a fabric paper towel--they'll last a trip or 2 at least.
- Suntan lotion & bug dope?

Overall it looks very similar to mine, including a camp chair, pillow, and Crocs. I think you'll do fine and have a great trip!
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
jillbord
NewbieCake

Post by jillbord »

Thank you for your suggestions!

I will ditch the trowel - good to know. Stick = 0 oz : )
I'm looking at those camp towels and they look pretty great, may need to get one.
Oh my, thanks for the water error. Ugh. More weight!
I'll bring my real compass instead.
With the socks I'm wearing, I also have an extra pair and pair to sleep in for a total of three. Should I bring more then? Also, thanks, I'll leave the gloves at home.
How could I forget sunscreen and bug dope!? I will add - thank you!
That splint is awesome - I'm a nurse and I am all about making sure I can help myself, my partner and any stranger I encounter. Since I don't have a foam sleep pad to make into a splint I've always wondered what I would use if the occasion arose. I think I'll purchase one of these.

Thanks again so much for your suggestions (and for not harassing me for bringing a chair) as I am new to a hike this long.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

I missed the sleeping socks on your list. 3 pair is what I bring, but I don't usually sleep in them. I have had 2 pair drying at a time though.
I used a 12x24 Lightload towel to dry myself off after swimming--barely did the job, but it did, and I'm a sorta big guy. The 12x12 are great as a wash cloth, dish cloth, or smaller towel.
You can use your Prolite pad as a splint--put it on deflated, then carefully inflate it till firm. Gotta watch the circulation, of course. But that doesn't replace the SAM splint, IMO. A sleeping pad is also awfully bulky on an ankle, and not very practical on a wrist.

The other thing I'd suggest is zip-off pants (or add nylon shorts). When it's wet I'll hike without the legs, unless it's so cold as to warrant rain pants (never had that happen), because there's places where the overhanging thimbleberries will soak you regardless. They have huge leaves that hold a lot of water, both from dew or a rain, so they can soak you through even when it's not raining. I find wet bare legs more comfortable than wet pants (on the trail), and at least I have dry lower pant legs when I get to camp :? .
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
jillbord
NewbieCake

Post by jillbord »

Thanks for more specific info on those towels. I'm going to get one. Also, I've been thinking about retiring my old faithful pants and converting to a zip-off. It's hard to part with my years-old Columbia's! I wore those things through pouring rain and snow and never got wet while everyone else was soaked. Maybe they make a zip-off equivalent. I take your word for it though - you've been there, I haven't... I will start the search!
TerryDunn
NewbieCake

Post by TerryDunn »

Jill,
Thats a great list, thanks. Well done!
Kelly
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Kelly »

I'm curious as to how you arrived at the one-pound-of-food-per-day number. I'm planning to use weight as my daily food measure on this next trip, and I'm finding little information online that's applicable to either women or smaller people.
2012 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | 2026 A Minong thorough hike
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

I usually plan on two pounds per day of food, goes back to my readings of Colin Fletcher, I think.
Most estimates that I recall relate 5000 cal per day for average hiker to consume.
I suppose that is close - to slightly more than I would normally consume in a day.
I think 1 pound of food per day is inadequate. Unless, maybe you're eating a pound of butter!
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
jillbord
NewbieCake

Post by jillbord »

:lol: Thanks Terry! That helps with my confidence. Jr, I appreciate your input into Kelly's question. You're right. Most estimates I hear are 1.5-2 or up to 3lbs/day. In truth the 1lb is being conservative and as I am meal planning and breaking out the dehydrator (I will make all my meals ahead and vacuum seal) it is evident it will become more. But not much more. As a smaller woman I will consume less calories than a man, and I always did on previous hikes. Although I always have a hefty appetite! However, I end up carrying leftovers for the the boys! There is a good website that will help you based on weight, height, mileage, days and elevation. You can use it here: http://www.hikingdude.com/hiking-food-supply.php

I will gladly take any more advise on food planning (again, thanks JR) as I have never planned for a trip this long. But I'm tired of carrying food that I give to the boys! : )
Kelly
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 9

Post by Kelly »

That calculator is just the thing--thanks! I'd settled on 1.2 pounds on hiking days, and a bit less on non-hiking days, and the calculator affirms that's about right for me. No doubt that number will be refined during prep.

I've found that I eat less than expected when backpacking, and I'm aiming not to carry too much food this summer.
2012 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021 | 2022 | 2023 | 2026 A Minong thorough hike
jillbord
NewbieCake

Post by jillbord »

Kelly, it placed me in at about 1.2 as well. Obviously I want to make sure I'm consuming enough calories based on my days work, but I needed to be realistic that 2lbs is probably better for my 6'2 fiancé and not actually necessary for me! Although I don't doubt there are hikes where I've sat down and consumed 2lbs in supper alone! But those hikes were much more difficult with much longer days than I plan for Isle Royale. I've estimated my total elevation gain for the whole week to be around 4,000ft, most hikes I've done that (and more) in a single day.
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

jillbord,

I have usually found in the initial days, of a 7-10 day hiking trip, the appetite is slightly diminished, but after three or four days, one gets their "trail legs" and the metabolism kicks in.
I always take an "extra" days food for "the lady"(possible weather related layover); the "camp chair & kindle", equal that weight. Just my, "food for thought", on some of the things that might be eliminated.
There are always lighter packs, sleep pads/bags, and taking fewer "extras", all can result in weight savings.
You might help your husband out, by taking some non-essentials out of the cook set. Especially, if you both are eating mainly, "boil water, stir in, let sit, stir and eat" menu?
You haven't mentioned what type of meals you both prefer.
You might consider taking a lightweight tarp in your kit, if your total pack weight remains as low as yours is; they are great for a quick trail side rain storm shelter(second use for your trekking poles), cook area in the rain(if you are unable to commandeer a shelter), gear protection outside of tent(during all night rain), wind break in a shelter on those blustery days.
Keep reading the forum here and check out "Mike T" of the forum, as he has a web site with a lot of useful info.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
jillbord
NewbieCake

Post by jillbord »

JR - Thanks for that tarp suggestion! I never would have thought about that. Daniel has a small one for his hammock, I will suggest we bring it. Thanks.

Also, I'm just going to ignore food calculators and take the advice of people who have been there done that. As I said, I've never done a trip this long, so I have no idea how hungry I will feel on day 4. Appreciate all the input. We will be making boil, stir, eat food and won't be bringing that whole cook-set, just the pot (probably should have clarified) but thanks for looking out for us. I'm def ditching the chair and kindle (those were luxury items anyway, who wants to read when you have the company of the Lady and a new husband?).

What are you thoughts o my clothes situation? Is the Nano Puff an overkill? I'll be wearing a long sleeve base, with a lightweight fleece to put over if needed. I'll also have my raincoat to put on if needed warmth. I also have my mid-weight long john shirt that I sleep in that I could put on if desperate. What are the thoughts of anyone out there (keeping in mind I am a cold person). Overkill?
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

The list you already have, has plenty of layers to get you through, should you have to "hunker down" with everything on and in your sleeping bag.
The Nano makes a good pillow. You can also have it draped over your feet or shoulders(inside or out) to supplement your sleeping bag at night.
In early August I doubt you will see 32 degrees or lower, but, according to the lore I have heard of, Isle Royale has had snow in every month of the year.
When the calendar gets closer to Aug 2016, it will be easier to guesstimate the long range weather forecast for that period. You can adjust the final packing accordingly.
Jim DuFresne
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

jillbord wrote:Is the Nano Puff an overkill? I'll be wearing a long sleeve base, with a lightweight fleece to put over if needed. I'll also have my raincoat to put on if needed warmth. I also have my mid-weight long john shirt that I sleep in that I could put on if desperate. What are the thoughts of anyone out there (keeping in mind I am a cold person). Overkill?
Here's the layers I bring, and has kept me warm (enough) in July/Aug:
- Bottom: Silk long johns, nylon zip-off pants, rain pants.
- Top: Silk base layer, t-shirt, nylon shirt, mid-weight fleece OR more recently a light Nano-puff type jacket, rain jacket.
I've had all layers on before, including rain gear just to stay warm, but never been particularly cold if staying at least a little active. If you run cold, I don't think a Nano Puff + light fleece is overkill, especially if you spend much time next to Lake Superior--can be significantly colder and windier by the lake. On the other hand it's probably more an issue of comfort than safety that time of year.