What are you spending your REI dividend on? 2016 Edition

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

SoonerDad
NewbieCake

Re: What are you spending your REI dividend on? 2016 Edition

Post by SoonerDad »

I got some socks......I buy less and less at REI every year....I am surprised they have not sent out a search party to look for me :-)
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by jrwiesz »

I agree with the ...spending less each year at REI...that dividend doesn't equate, with their higher prices compared to many other retailers.

Occasionally at the "OUTLET" you may find a deal, but you don't get the dividend at the outlet.
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
Mark_NK8Q
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Mark_NK8Q »

On the subject of camp chairs that are light enough to pack, I purchased (with a $50 gift card from my parents and managed to get a "floor model discount" from Cabelas) the Helinox Camp Chair, which is a bit heavier at 2 pounds 10 ounces. I would never have spent that much on a chair but given the discounts it was only an out of pocket of about $50 for me and has been worth every penny. Others have tried it and loved it as well. I tried their smaller Helinox chair but I found it difficult to sit into or get out of and opted for the slightly larger one. At the time I weighed about 240 pounds, though, while now I'm at 200 pounds, so I might not have as many difficulties anymore. The smaller one I would have to roll out of and onto the ground to then stand up while the larger one I can sit and stand directly, no rolling required.

https://www.rei.com/product/882321/helinox-camp-chair

I have a couple of days left yet for the 20 - 30% off sale to figure out what else to get from REI that I may need for the ISRO trip (now in less than one month!). I have been able to get quite a few items at cost from my boss who is a deal for Liberty Mountain, so that has been a big help. I also have a $100 REI gift card which will come in handy yet as well. Still planning ...
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

DonNewcomb wrote:I have not decided what to do with the whole $6.
I ended up buying a pair of boots from the website. Even though they were shipped from Georgia, I had to pay $15 to mail them to the REI return center in WA. So, I decided to wait until I was at an REI store to try boots. The $6 dividend was applied to the boots and credited to my credit card when I returned them. I eventually bought a pair of Keens when I was able to visit an REI store but I tried on about 6 pair in the process.