Knife perferences

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Knife perferences

Post by JerryB »

So, what do folks prefer? Folding or straight? Larger or smaller? Brands? Multi-tool versus simple blade?

I ask out of curiosity. I just used my REI dividend on a straight blade, even though I have no rational need for one. The grown up in me says small multitool. Thoughts?
odd man out
LNT Expert

Re: Knife perferences

Post by odd man out »

For general backpacking I use a Victorinox Ambassador Swiss Army Knife. It is a minimal knife with a small blade and scissors (which I use more than the blade). It is exactly like the more familiar Classic, but slightly larger. I find the blade and scissors are more functional when a bit bigger but anything more is not necessary.
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by JerryB »

I should have mentioned this in my first posting: I almost always carry a Leatherman multi-tool. I have used the small pliers far more than the blade.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

If fires are allowed, I carry a fixed blade for batoning wood. If no fires, I just carry a little benchmade folder. Mini Griptilian.
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

Leatherman Micra.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

I carry a Leatherman multi-tool for obvious reasons. I keep this in my backpack. I then also carry a cheap-o Kershaw on my person for quick-access.

A Leatherman multi-tool has always been on me at work and in the wilderness for around 20 years. In that time, I've had three Leatherman...the same component always breaks on them: the scissors. When that happens, I fill out an RMA on the Leatherman website, mail in the broken multi-tool (at my own expense), and a few weeks later, I get a brand-new, current model back. I've done this twice over the past two decades.

The Kershaw is a cheap, Chinese-made blade (around $26). They are extremely reliable, but if I damage the blade or lose the knife, they are cheap enough to be considered "disposable." I believe the one I'm using right now is the Kershaw Brawler 1900.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

When backpacking, it's the original Leatherman PST that comes with. I've had it since the era when that was the only Leatherman you could buy, and it's held up impeccably. (It doesn't have a fancy scissor like the model Fonix has.)
As JerryB notes, the pliers gets equal use with the blade, the rest of the accessories are on a random-need basis.

The only time I carry a straight blade is scuba diving (a blunt tip dive knife) and big game hunting. (A Gerber.)
wmmichael20
NewbieCake

Post by wmmichael20 »

Gerber multi tool ....of course for the pliers and a buck 110
Stephen
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Stephen »

Gerber EAB pocket knife
Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

I carry a micro Victorinox for slivers and nail issues and a Gerber Moment fixed blade for everything else.
SoonerDad
NewbieCake

Post by SoonerDad »

LM Juice has always been all I really need.