Looking for 2 person UL tent

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Looking for 2 person UL tent

Post by JerryB »

Well, My ten year old MSR tent finally died. I have a Big Agnes Scout UL2 tent and it is great, but not free standing. I am thinking of replacing the MSR with a free standing, under 3 lb, tent. I would like, ideally, two doors and one or two vestibules (the Scout does not have a vestibule). I have started researching the MSR FreeLite and tents from Big Sky International (not a very user-friendly website).

Any suggestions? I am not tied to tents from the big companies.

Thanks, JerryB
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Re: Looking for 2 person UL tent

Post by Tom »

I had the same criteria in mind this spring when I purchased a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2. Freestanding, two door, solid vestibule space, and comes in at 3lbs 2oz, so pour off an inch from your water bottle. I liked the way it pushes out the top of the tent for a little more headroom. All the reviews kept coming back solid, and I'd only add to them. It's been great so far, so I'd recommend looking into it.
The only ding I would give it is that the door zips downward, instead of off to a side.
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

Thanks, Tom. I was shying away from Big Agnes because of a couple of very negative reviews about them not standing by their products. I probably should not overreact to a few voices. I have been very happy with my Big Agnes Scout.
HikerGal
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by HikerGal »

My friend bought a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL4. I borrowed it (probably too many times) so then I got my own. Then I bought a Copper Spur UL3.

During the most recent REI sale I bought my daughter a UL2 for Christmas (shhh). I have tried other tents but really really really got hooked on these. So light weight, easy to put up, vestibules, pockets.... I would definitely recommend the Copper Spur.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Just did a trip with with a buddy who was using a 2 person Copper Spur. You need to be really close with the person you're sharing it with, but as a solo tent it would be great. He shared with his dog and it worked well. He did complain about the zipper orientation.
Spinnister
NewbieCake

Post by Spinnister »

We also have a Copper Spur UL2. Works great, although I also agree about the zipper orientation. And I'm 5'-6", hubby is 6'-5". Just long enough for him, and yes, snug. But works fine. Not many 2-person tents are long enough for him. After our trip in August, we did decide we want a 3-person, and after sifting through the Internet, we're going to get the UL3. Nothing else we can find gives the same combination of space, weight and cost. I agree the UL2 is perfect for solo. Just big enough for 2. When we're together and able to split up our gear, we'll both be happier with a little more elbow room, for a little extra weight with the 3-person.

FYI we do have a very small slit in the floor, after some sharp, very little rocks at Lake Ritchie, using a homemade tyvek ground sheet. It isn't the most bombproof thing, but we wanted light.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Another vote for the BA Copper Spur, love the room and I am a big guy. My friend used a BA on his AT thru hike, never a problem.
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

Thanks, Everyone!
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

To close the loop, I am convinced. Just ordered the Copper Spur from Backcountry Edge at $110 off list price. I had not seen it listed anywhere else at that good a price. Here's to hoping I get the tent and not just a photocopy of one at that price!
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

UL and freestanding are conflicting concepts.