How's the weather?

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

huntertim214
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 6

How's the weather?

Post by huntertim214 »

So it looks like the recent weather pattern on IR is about 15-20 degrees below average for daytime highs, but there is some discrepancy depending on what site you use to check it. How have the real feel temps been out on the island?
Has anyone been out recently and packed for June, only to feel like you were under equipped? I am in no way an ultralight hiker, but I try to pack as light as possible with the gear I have and so I have been going back and forth with my cold/cool/warm gear as I look at all the weather reports. We will be there over the 4th of July week.
JerryB
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: How's the weather?

Post by JerryB »

I go Saturday and have wondered the same thing. Input appreciated.

Looks like a wet and chilly week for me, but I will hope for the best.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

5/29-6/4: Temps 40-65. I brought the following and was fine. I had everything on once (sans rain pants) at Siskiwit Bay where it was windy. Lake exposure makes a huge difference. When paddling I'll add a light down jacket (12oz), but didn't regret leaving it home this trip.
Top: t-shirt, mid-weight base layer, nylon shirt, fleece pullover, rain jacket.
Bottom: mid-weight base layer, heavier nylon zip-offs, rain pants.
Fleece hat & gloves.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
treeplanter
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 12

Post by treeplanter »

huntertim214 wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:27 am.......We will be there over the 4th of July week.
According to the 8 -14 day forecast from the Climate Prediction Center, the entire Great Lakes area has a good chance of below normal temperatures during the June 30th - July 6th period.
Donk_67
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Donk_67 »

First week of June, I was well prepared for the cooler temperatures, but wasn't necessarily ready for the warmer temps found inland. My suggestion is be prepared for temp range between 40 & 80.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by kolo »

I just returned from seven days on the Isle. My trip was June 19-25. I got lucky with the weather! While I was there the temperature lows at night were in the upper 40s and the highs were in the upper 50s. A couple days reached the lower 60s. It only rained lightly one night and one afternoon shower. I brought a down jacket and only needed it one day/night.

I paddled/portaged from Rock Harbor to Malone Bay. I have personally named the unnamed island south of Ryan Island on Siskiwit Lake, "Moose Island." While solo paddling my canoe from Wood Lake to Malone Bay at 6:00 AM, a cow moose and a calf swam from shore to the unnamed island, right in front of my canoe!

As usual, I met many nice and interesting people while there!
JerryB
May actually live on IR

Post by JerryB »

Just back on June 30: great weather until the last two days. Before that, overcast but dry with temps in low 60's to low 40's. It rained overnight once. The last two days were non-stop rain. Amazing to see, actually.

By the way, bugs were no problem. I did treat my cloths with permethrin. I also tried the thermacell repellant device. It screws onto a small fuel canister. It seemed to work great