Flying with a stove

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Flying with a stove

Post by johnhens »

Some folks fly into Houghton or Duluth to get to IR. Some good info here for flying and liquid fuel stoves.

https://thesummitregister.com/flying-wi ... ium=social
paulbates
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Flying with a stove

Post by paulbates »

Thanks, very useful info and link. Also for awareness, Isle Royale Seaplanes does not allow accelerants, including Esbit type solid fuel pellets, on their aircraft. You need to buy the available alcohol fuel on the island or ship solids and pick it up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lane
NewbieCake

Re: Flying with a stove

Post by Lane »

I called the vendor at Rock and was told they sell 'gas' at the marina for my stove. the one I didn't get yet. I read where someone bought a canister o the island but wrong threads for their stove. Since I never carried a fancy stove before - ala pocket rocket or similar - I want to be sure I can get the right fuel after we are dropped off the plane. Is there a selection of canisters for sale for the various brands of stoves? I thought they were interchangeable. And will I have to take out a loan to purchase it there?
Montana
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by Montana »

The store at Windigo sells the basic fuel canisters that fit MSR Pocket Rocket type stoves. The canisters are pretty much universal. If you want to see the selection at the store check out this Youtube video from a few years ago:

I didn't find the prices on the island too high -- a bit of an "island surcharge," but not out of line with what you would expect.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Pretty much all the popular canister stoves (MSR, Jetboil, SnowPeak, Coleman, etc) sold today use the same type canister with a screw on thread, which the stores (RH & Windigo) carry. If there's any question, try it before hitting the trail.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Lane
NewbieCake

Post by Lane »

Thank Yous, Montana and Ingo, and thanks to whomever made that video... :D
Bdavies
NewbieCake

Post by Bdavies »

Is there a depository for fuel cans? So we can’t fly out with fuel what do we do with it when leaving the island?
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Bdavies wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:31 am Is there a depository for fuel cans? So we can’t fly out with fuel what do we do with it when leaving the island?
We gave ours to another group of hikers. They gladly took it.
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

Bdavies wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:31 am Is there a depository for fuel cans? So we can’t fly out with fuel what do we do with it when leaving the island?
You can leave it with a ranger at the visitor centers. They keep an emergency supply.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
glitch99
NewbieCake

Post by glitch99 »

Has anybody tried mailing a package with fuel canisters to the island ahead of time? I thought I had read somewhere that all mail delivery to the island was via the Ranger III so it seems like it should be OK.

From the videos posted it looked like the stores only stocked the larger cans. I prefer the 4oz cans that nest in my stove kit.
84 WC-FL-SB-DS-HL-DF-RH
21 Win-FL-SB-DS-TH-MC-LC-RH
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

glitch99 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:34 pm Has anybody tried mailing a package with fuel canisters to the island ahead of time? I thought I had read somewhere that all mail delivery to the island was via the Ranger III so it seems like it should be OK.
The NPS site (https://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/ ... torage.htm) makes that look like a No Go: USPS won't ship fuel and IR visitor centers won't store it.

You might try scanning the 2021 trip thread to see if any forum denizens are arriving by boat about when you're arriving by plane---perhaps a handoff could be arranged. You'd have the 8 oz canisters in the store as a fallback.

Or you could upgrade to a bigger pot!
glitch99
NewbieCake

Post by glitch99 »

Thanks, torpified. I missed that little tidbit. I guess it makes sense that they wouldn't want to transport and/or store a bunch of fuel canisters of unknown origin, but from what I can tell it's normally OK to send pressurized camp stove fuel canisters via USPS so long as it's not an air shipment. I'll just have to rearrange a bit to make some room!
84 WC-FL-SB-DS-HL-DF-RH
21 Win-FL-SB-DS-TH-MC-LC-RH
Ingo
Forum Moderator

Post by Ingo »

glitch99 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:34 pm I thought I had read somewhere that all mail delivery to the island was via the Ranger III ...
FYI, the Voyageur II out of Grand Portage is the official USPS mail carrier.
glitch99 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:34 pm From the videos posted it looked like the stores only stocked the larger cans. I prefer the 4oz cans that nest in my stove kit.
I think you're right--I've only bought once, but don't recall ever seeing 4oz canisters in the stores. But what they have is always subject to change.