Leftover Fuel Questions

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Leftover Fuel Questions

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Hey all,

I am in the process of planning our second trip to the island and I have a few questions. This time we will be doing 10days/9nights on the island and taking the sea plane into RH and out of Windigo. Our expected date of arrival is July 29th. We were wondering, after our trip is over is there a place to leave a partially full fuel canister for other hikers to use (like the hiker boxes on the AT)? We obviously cant take it on the plane out and I know we probably wont use the whole canister. I'd hate to waste it and toss it in the trash, but I also don't want to just leave it somewhere (LNT). Any advice?

Secondly, we are planning to buy fuel at RH when we land on the 29th. Hopefully it is as well stocked as it was last year. We saw plenty of canisters in the RH gift shop last time. Anyone ever have issues with that?

Thirdly, we took the RangerIII in last year and they handled all the permits and such right on the boat. Where do we go to do this when arriving via seaplane? Last year I am pretty sure I purchased my park pass through the rangerIII ahead of time, can I still purchase that ahead of time or not?

Sorry not all of these questions are gear related but I didn't want to make 3 separate posts. :D

Ashley
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Leftover Fuel Questions

Post by Ingo »

Leftover fuel: leave it with a ranger at the visitors center. They keep a stash for emergencies.
Available fuel: can't imagine it would be a problem in July.
Permit: you'll probably be met by a Ranger and walked to the visitors center to do your permit. That's what happened when I flew into Windigo. If not, just go the visitors center yourself. You can still pay the fees ahead of time, but you have to fill out your permit when you get there.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

simple and concise...thanks Ingo!
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

The other option is a twig stove :)
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

:mrgreen: haha. Hooky, I like the idea of a twig stove (no purchasing fuel, no concerns about waste, etc) but I lack patience needed with the twig stove (esp on wet damp days). I like an instantly lit and hot stove. :)
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

me too, but I couldn't resist
paulbates
LNT Expert

Post by paulbates »

I used my esbit as a hobo stove more than I thought. The key was birch bark. Layer of birch, stuff in the twigs and it lights right up. Cooks fast too.. but a little more to clean up.

We offered our extra fuel to other campers coming in at the end. They gladly took it.