First time IR trip in May. Does my gear list have any glaring holes?

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

cadenparulski
NewbieCake

First time IR trip in May. Does my gear list have any glaring holes?

Post by cadenparulski »

I'm planning on going to IR from Copper Harbor from 5/14 to 5/18 and backpacking the eastern side of the island. I've been doing a ton of research lately, and while I'm no newbiecake when it comes to hiking and camping, this will by far be the longest and most extensive backpacking trip I've done. I was wondering if some of you seasoned IR backpackers could tell me a thing or two about my tentative gear list, maybe what to add or drop. I'm bringing warm clothing and rain gear in hopes of being completely prepared for whatever the weather on IR can throw at me in May.

Clothing:

2 pairs wool socks
1 or 2 pairs cotton socks (to sleep in, or add layers in case my tootsies get cold)
2 pairs moisture-wicking boxer-briefs
1 pair athletic shorts
1 pair polyester sweatpants
1 UA hoodie (thick and warm)
1 Frogg-togg rain jacket
1 pair polyester winter pants (I plan on spraying these to waterproof them, I don't want to spend $$$ on new pants)
1 cotton long-sleeve shirt (to sleep in)
1 athletic shirt
1 pair gaiters (are these necessary if I'm waterproofing my pants? My boots are waterproof up to 6 inches)
1 pair tennis shoes (in case my boots fall apart, and something to wear around the campsite)

Gear:

Deuter ACT Lite 65L (+10) backpack
Semoo 3-person tent (3-person seems like too much, but I like a roomy tent, and this thing is smaller than some 2 or 1-person tents I've had)
0F sleeping bag (I don't remember the brand, but it is very small and lightweight)
Anker PowerCore 20100 portable charger (I'm bringing my phone, purely for pictures and keeping track of time)
watch (in case my phone dies or I drop it in a lake and I can no longer tell the time)
inflatable pillow
2 half-gallon water jugs
2 Life Straws
NatGeo IR map
Black Spot Diamond headlamp
long-handled spoon
emergency blanket
metal cup (for boiling water)
UST fuel cubes (I don't have the money to spend on a Jetboil, and these little cubes kick ass)
fuel cube stove
disinfectant wipes
super glue and duct tape (in case my boots fall apart; they are a couple years old)
extra flashlight
waterproof matches
multitool
small camping towel
compass
hanging rope
small medical kit
moleskin
deodorant (it's the least I could do for myself, and it fits)
paracord
assorted ziploc bags and small garbage bags (garbage and wet clothes/clothes I don't want to get wet)
Ayaya aluminum trekking poles (cheapest poles I could find; I'm probably not going to take them because I don't want to carry them)

Food:

8 assorted Mountain House meals
30 assorted Clif Bars (I love these, and they are going to be my lunches/snacks)

Including water weight and all outer rainwear, this came out to ~45 lbs. This seems a little excessive, so I'd be willing to ditch one of the water jugs and some other items if anyone thinks that would be smart. I already downsized by a couple of items, like extra batteries for the headlamp.

I want to bring gaiters because of the mud that is apparently very prevalent in May on the island, but if waterproofing my winter pants (with silione water-guard spray,to be exact) will be enough to handle the mud, then I don't want to bring the gaiters.

I know the duct tape takes up a bit of space, but I've had boots fall apart on me mid-hike before and I don't want to relive that experience. Plus it can be used in all sorts of situations with repairs, so I feel it's at least useful to bring.

Is there anything important I'm missing? What should I ditch, if anything? Thanks in advance!
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Re: First time IR trip in May. Does my gear list have any glaring holes?

Post by torpified »

To add/keep?:
--the gaiters! Even if you never encounter mud over 6 inches deep, they'll make tying and untying your shoes a more pleasant experience.
-- maybe trekking poles. One of their unsung benefits is that they prevent sausage fingers.
--a wool watch cap or beanie, and possibly lightweight gloves? They're both light items that can help a lot with temperature regulation.
--Toilet paper??
--head net/bug dope??
--backup source of fire, like a bic lighter?

To lose/swap?:
--maybe the spare flashlight?
--gatorade/smartwater bottles instead of one or both of the plastic jugs? (Easier to pakc, and depending on the plastic jugs, lighter.) For me, 2 qts is plenty to walk with. Extra capacity does make camp life easier.
cadenparulski
NewbieCake

Post by cadenparulski »

I realized I forgot to put toilet paper on the list, but I very much plan on bringing that!

I wasn't planning on bugs being out yet that early in the season, so I didn't want to waste the space on bug spray. I thought they didn't really come out until June?

I have two sets of waterproof matches in two different places in my pack so I figured one could serve as the backup for the other.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

- gaiters, Yes, especially that time of year.
- cotton, NO, none, never. Do everything to keep things dry, but assume anything might get wet. So 4 pair WOOL socks (3 min).
- layers instead of single heavy clothes (like hoodie, winter pants). Use base layers and lighter mid-layers.
- bring rain pants, Frogg Toggs will do. I wouldn't rely on spray-on waterproofing and works for layering.
- Crocs are great for camp shoes, light and don't hold water.
- long zip-ties can be used for gear repair.
- I'd lose the hanging rope, keep food in the tent or shelter.
- I find trekking poles indispensable for navigating mudholes and deadfall.
- agree that a backup flashlight probably isn't necessary. Days are long and I usually don't every use a light much at all. But I do carry just a very small single AAA flashlight as backup to my headlamp, good for a couple hrs in an emergency.
- if you have a stiff water bottle, wrap the duck tape around it to save space, and take only what you need.
- I repack Mt House meals in qt size zip-lock freezer bags, then use a cozy. Write the water amt on the zip-lock with a sharpie. Saves weight and they pack better that way.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
kolo
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 11

Post by kolo »

Anker PowerCore 20100 portable charger (I'm bringing my phone, purely for pictures and keeping track of time)

I never waste space or effort to carry a cell phone while backpacking. I go to Isle Royale and hike/climb/backpack in Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana to get away from phones. As far as keeping time, the only time you need to be concerned about is meeting your boat on the way out. Otherwise you are on "island time."

Enjoy your trip, saunter, listen to the sounds, and absorb the rhythms of the island. It is a special place that shouldn't be rushed!
cadenparulski
NewbieCake

Post by cadenparulski »

kolo wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:33 pm

I never waste space or effort to carry a cell phone while backpacking. I go to Isle Royale and hike/climb/backpack in Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana to get away from phones. As far as keeping time, the only time you need to be concerned about is meeting your boat on the way out. Otherwise you are on "island time."

Enjoy your trip, saunter, listen to the sounds, and absorb the rhythms of the island. It is a special place that shouldn't be rushed!
I'm basically only taking it as a substitute for a camera- I want to be able to remember my experience on the island better than just what I can remember with my own head, and I want to be able to share pictures with family and friends. It's not like I can do anything else on it anyway, there's no service on the island and I'll have it on airplane mode. If I had a nice camera, I would ditch the phone in a heartbeat.
Spinnister
NewbieCake

Post by Spinnister »

Like Ingo said, no cotton! Our first ever backpacking trip in Alaska, the guide made everyone dump out their packs, and made people replace anything cotton they had. "Cotton kills". Once it is wet, it will just chill you.

I'm thinking a pile of 30 Clif bars would be really heavy. Not bulky, but dense. I don't know, as I don't have any on hand. We usually take MH blueberry granola for lunches - light, and just takes 1/2 cup of cold water along the trail.

How about reading material?

Bugs are iffy. I live in the Keweenaw, and I've seen the blackflies come out Memorial Day weekend, and I've seen them come out later. You probably won't have a problem, but it is possible.

It will be muddy!
cadenparulski
NewbieCake

Post by cadenparulski »

Spinnister wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:27 pm Like Ingo said, no cotton! Our first ever backpacking trip in Alaska, the guide made everyone dump out their packs, and made people replace anything cotton they had. "Cotton kills". Once it is wet, it will just chill you.

I'm thinking a pile of 30 Clif bars would be really heavy. Not bulky, but dense. I don't know, as I don't have any on hand. We usually take MH blueberry granola for lunches - light, and just takes 1/2 cup of cold water along the trail.

How about reading material?

Bugs are iffy. I live in the Keweenaw, and I've seen the blackflies come out Memorial Day weekend, and I've seen them come out later. You probably won't have a problem, but it is possible.

It will be muddy!
Noted, no cotton!

The Clif bars are the most calorie-efficient thing I could find in bulk that was on the cheaper side, so I went with those. They really aren't big or heavy at all- I'm not sure what each one weighs, but I have them organized into ziploc bags containing five bars, and they take up about as much space as a MH Propak does. For 250+ calories a bar, I'll take it. I sat down and calculated that I'll need to eat around 5 for lunch every day, so I figured I'd take 25 and then pack some extra for snacks.
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

Additions:
* Bring enough clean underpants and socks for every day. Don't deviate from this. Trust me. Clean underpants and socks once you get into camp and for the next day's hike will do a lot to make you happy and comfortable.
* Bring sunglasses
* Bring Gold Bond
* Bring hand sanitizer.
* Bring a stocking cap and gloves (it'll get chilly at night).

Get rid of:
* Drop the extra flashlight and bring extra batteries for your headlamp (I see now you may already be doing this)
* Drop the winter pants and get some cheap rain pants. Weight-savings and you'll appreciate the cooler wear.
* Drop the athletic shoes and get some light slippers or sandals (save the weight).
* Wrap the duct tape around something like your trekking poles so you don't haul the whole roll out.
* Ditch the hanging rope...you already have para cord.

Swap out:
* I'd swap the gallon jugs for some smaller Nalgenes. Depending on where you're hiking, water access may be sufficient. I usually hike anywhere from 6-12 miles a day with two 32oz Nalgenes.

Questions for you:
* I'd like to know the weight of your three-person tent. Is it just for you? You may need to borrow a one- or two-person tent from a friend or something...you'll save a TON of weight on that front.
* I only see LifeStraws on here for treating water. I do not believe this is sufficient for treating water on Isle Royale. Your only other option would be to boil it.
cadenparulski
NewbieCake

Post by cadenparulski »

fonixmunkee wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:52 pm Additions:
* Bring enough clean underpants and socks for every day. Don't deviate from this. Trust me. Clean underpants and socks once you get into camp and for the next day's hike will do a lot to make you happy and comfortable.
* Bring sunglasses
* Bring Gold Bond
* Bring hand sanitizer.
* Bring a stocking cap and gloves (it'll get chilly at night).

Get rid of:
* Drop the extra flashlight and bring extra batteries for your headlamp (I see now you may already be doing this)
* Drop the winter pants and get some cheap rain pants. Weight-savings and you'll appreciate the cooler wear.
* Drop the athletic shoes and get some light slippers or sandals (save the weight).
* Wrap the duct tape around something like your trekking poles so you don't haul the whole roll out.
* Ditch the hanging rope...you already have para cord.

Swap out:
* I'd swap the gallon jugs for some smaller Nalgenes. Depending on where you're hiking, water access may be sufficient. I usually hike anywhere from 6-12 miles a day with two 32oz Nalgenes.

Questions for you:
* I'd like to know the weight of your three-person tent. Is it just for you? You may need to borrow a one- or two-person tent from a friend or something...you'll save a TON of weight on that front.
* I only see LifeStraws on here for treating water. I do not believe this is sufficient for treating water on Isle Royale. Your only other option would be to boil it.
If I remember right, LifeStraws filter down to .2 microns, well below the suggested .4 margin for Isle Royale that I've seen. My only problem with those is having a water bottle with a big enough mouth to fit the filter in because it is not part of a water container system- I just have the two filters. I'll be sleeping at a lake every night, so I figured when I'm at a campground I can just use the filter to drink out of a lake, and when I leave I can fill my bottles with lake water and use the filters to drink out of those.

The tent weighs roughly 4.5 pounds. I really wanted to stick with it because I wanted something roomy in case I get stuck in the thing for a while. It Should honestly be considered a two-person tent because it would not fit three people my size comfortably, and tent sizes usually run a little small I've found. If anything, I'm willing to take the extra pound or two to take a tent that I like and am used to.
Tortuga
Trailblazer
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by Tortuga »

Add:
*SLEEPING PAD. This is one of the most critical pieces of equipment for you to take. I use a Thermarest Z-Lite which you should be able to get for ~$30.
*Addition pair each wool socks and undies. Things could get wet and stay wet, or you could be blessed with sunshine and warm temps and be able to air dry your stuff by making a clothes line out of para-cord.
*Beanie/Gloves. It gets cold at night. You'll want this.
*Mini Bic lighter. Extremely lightweight and good as a backup.
*Hand sanitizer/biodegradable soap. I take a small thing of Dr. Bronners and a travel size thing of purrel which I dangle off my shoulder strap.

Dump:
*Cotton anything, but you've heard that a few times here.
*Extra light. If anything bring an extra battery.
*Tennis shoes. I've used both sandals and crocs for camp shoes/water crossings. I'd recommend crocs though.
*Hanging rope. You already have the para, and you don't need to hang anything.

Swap:
*Water jugs. You're sticking to the east side of the island where water is plentiful. I would stop at a gas station and get 2 smart water 1-1.5 litre bottles.

I second the suggestion on how to pack your duct tape. I wrap it around my trekking poles. I've brought KT tape the past couple trips as well instead of moleskin because it's super sticky/durable, and could help with gear repair if needed.

As for bugs, I went in late May/early June last year and only used the bug head net I took once (at Lake Richie during a lunch break). I wouldn't take bug spray, or deodorant for that matter (you'll smell me before you see me).

I use a trash compactor bag inside my backpack as a waterproof liner. Practically weightless and your pack WILL get wet, regardless of whether you have a pack cover.

I'll actually be on the same boat as you out of Copper Harbor, though staying through 5/25. See you then!
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Clothing:
2 pairs wool socks good plan
1 or 2 pairs cotton socks (to sleep in, or add layers in case my tootsies get cold) No cotton. Bring a pair of fluffy oversized wool socks for sleeping in. 1 pair is fine. Never wear them hiking just for bed
2 pairs moisture-wicking boxer-briefs good plan
1 pair athletic shorts not needed
1 pair polyester sweatpants a baselayer will pack better and be lighter but still warm
1 UA hoodie (thick and warm) down or fleece would be better (lighter and better insulation) .. again avoid the cotton
1 Frogg-togg rain jacket good plan
1 pair polyester winter pants (I plan on spraying these to waterproof them, I don't want to spend $$$ on new pants) seems excessive and heavy...how about frog togg rain paints instead
1 cotton long-sleeve shirt (to sleep in) again no cotton...try a baselayer top instead (lighter and better insulation)
1 athletic shirt good plan
1 pair gaiters (are these necessary if I'm waterproofing my pants? My boots are waterproof up to 6 inches) I liked my gaiters on IRNP worked great for the mud -- I dont wear boots tho.
1 pair tennis shoes (in case my boots fall apart, and something to wear around the campsite) WHAT?!, No...dont carry extra heavy shoes. Carry a lighter pair of camp shoes instead...your boots wont fall apart that bad in one trip...dont pack your fears...try crocs or sandals for camp shoes

Gear:
Deuter ACT Lite 65L (+10) backpack good if it fits you well
Semoo 3-person tent (3-person seems like too much, but I like a roomy tent, and this thing is smaller than some 2 or 1-person tents I've had) seems heavy for a one person trip but if you dont plan to upgrade to a lighter option itll do
0F sleeping bag (I don't remember the brand, but it is very small and lightweight) should be good for that time of year
Anker PowerCore 20100 portable charger (I'm bringing my phone, purely for pictures and keeping track of time) I love anker...phones take great photos..you wont want to be short of pics bc your battery died
watch (in case my phone dies or I drop it in a lake and I can no longer tell the time) you wont need to really tell time except for catching the boat or plane...no biggie tho. Just wear the watch
inflatable pillow as a side sleeper I agree
2 half-gallon water jugs seems excessive...there is water everywhere but on the ridges...have a 3L capacity at max with you but you can probably get along with carrying 1-2L depending on your trail choices.. try smart water bottles instead. 1/2 gallon jugs is too heavy
2 Life Straws forget these...they suck for transporting water from your source to your cook pot or water bottles...try a sawyer squeeze or katadyn be free instead
NatGeo IR map perfect...great map
Black Spot Diamond headlamp good plan
long-handled spoon good plan
emergency blanket imo not needed but not heavy enough to quibble over
metal cup (for boiling water) how heavy is this? Can you upgrade to a lighter cook pot?
UST fuel cubes (I don't have the money to spend on a Jetboil, and these little cubes kick ass) needed for cooking...stoves are personal prefernce
fuel cube stove see above
disinfectant wipes a couple will do...dont go crazy
super glue and duct tape (in case my boots fall apart; they are a couple years old) fine but you dont need the whole roll of the tape...reroll or buy the mini rolls..most folks wrap a few feet around their trekking poles
extra flashlight not needed...put fresh batteries in your headlamp at the beginning of the trip...use the lock function to keep it from accidently turning on
waterproof matches just carry two mini bics instead ..why make it hard on yourself?!
multitool not needed...look at your gear...does any of it have screws or need a plier set to repair?? I honestly cant find one screw on my gear...a small folding knife will weigh a lot less and make more sense
small camping towel how small? Towel is a good plan but make sure its a packable light towel..you dont need a full size one
compass smart
hanging rope 50ft will do..no more
small medical kit good
moleskin good...or leukotape, imo it works better
deodorant (it's the least I could do for myself, and it fits) embrace the stink! haha yea thats personal preference
paracord you already have rope on your list...not needed
assorted ziploc bags and small garbage bags (garbage and wet clothes/clothes I don't want to get wet) one large 2gal zip lock for trash and maybe one for your wet clothes, dont go crazy with bags and stuff sacks..those ounces add up
Ayaya aluminum trekking poles (cheapest poles I could find; I'm probably not going to take them because I don't want to carry them) I loved my trekking poles on isle royale..you might wish you had them

Food:

8 assorted Mountain House meals pakit gourmet is lighter and tastes WAY better imo...but these will do
30 assorted Clif Bars (I love these, and they are going to be my lunches/snacks) I would get so sick of them. I would suggest a little variety here...

you are missing a sleeping pad, this is a critical piece of gear if you plan to stay warm. Do you have TP on your list? Might want some. How about lining your pack with a trash compactor bag or a pack cover (for rain). You may want a hat or thin liner gloves. Try putting your gear into lighterpack.com to see your weight breakdown. It should look something like this: https://lighterpack.com/r/3aj3lu
fonixmunkee
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 18

Post by fonixmunkee »

cadenparulski wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:27 pm If I remember right, LifeStraws filter down to .2 microns, well below the suggested .4 margin for Isle Royale that I've seen. My only problem with those is having a water bottle with a big enough mouth to fit the filter in because it is not part of a water container system- I just have the two filters. I'll be sleeping at a lake every night, so I figured when I'm at a campground I can just use the filter to drink out of a lake, and when I leave I can fill my bottles with lake water and use the filters to drink out of those.

The tent weighs roughly 4.5 pounds. I really wanted to stick with it because I wanted something roomy in case I get stuck in the thing for a while. It Should honestly be considered a two-person tent because it would not fit three people my size comfortably, and tent sizes usually run a little small I've found. If anything, I'm willing to take the extra pound or two to take a tent that I like and am used to.
Let 'er rip. And a 4.5lb three-person tent?! Oh my damn. Definitely don't worry about changing it out...that's lighter than my two-person tent!
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

Here's the list I start with on every trip:

Documents
• Boat Reservation
• $60 Cash
Clothing
• Hiking Underwear (1 Pair plus the pair I wear on the boat)
• Wool Socks (2 Pair + 1 for sleep only)
• Wicking T Shirt
• Long Sleeve ¼ Zip
• Fleece
• Rain jacket
• Rain Pants
• Gaiters
• Boots
• Long Underwear pants & Top (for sleeping)
• Hiking Shorts
• Sock Cap
• Sandals

Equipment
• Sleeping Bag
• Pack
• Water Filter & Cleaning Kit
• Water Bottles
• Phone & Charger (instead of camera)
• Compass (optional on ISRO)
• Map
• First Aid Kit
  • o Ace bandage
    o Ibuprofen
    o Gold Bond Powder
    o Pepto tabs
    o Band Aids
    o Triple Anti-biotic
    o Antihistamine
    o Bug Bite Relief
    o Mole Skin
    o Blister Pads
• Bug Juice
• Knife
• Black Straps & Rings
• Tarp
• Hammock
• Ridgeline
• Bug Net
• Stakes
• Sleeping Pad
• Stick Stove
• Pop can Stove
• Heet
• Kitchen
• Head Lamp

Food (#of days on Island +1 in case boat is delayed)
• 6 Dinners
• 6 Breakfasts
• Clif Bars
• Ziploc Bags (2-1 Gallon & 2-1 Quart)

Misc
• Cigars & Bourbon
DonNewcomb
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by DonNewcomb »

How much does that multitool weigh? Are we talking about a micra @ < 2 oz or a Gerber @ almost 10 oz?