Shorts vs Pants in June

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Re: Shorts vs Pants in June

Post by Ingo »

Lane wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:52 pm Found an rei in Ann Arbor. But do I really need to spend another 120 bucks - I'll be eating beans and rice for the rest of the year as it is already. :(
OR Rocky Mountain gaiters work great and are $35 for the low, $45 for the high (assume you're talking 2 pair). You don't need more than that unless you plan to climb mountains elsewhere :) . REI carries them, as does Moosejaw, which has several stores in MI. If you do go for it, make sure you try them with your boots or whatever shoes you hike in.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Lane
NewbieCake

Post by Lane »

thanks Ingo, I imagine it's pretty wet in some spots, looks like 3 mile > LR > MCC > LC or Daisy > back to RH, unless we get in early enough to make daisy heading out the first night, I imagine the 'ranger talk' and permit may take a good half hour? But if we get out of RH by 5PM we should make it to Daisy for night one... does that route have potential for wet ankles?
3curlgreenhead
NewbieCake

Post by 3curlgreenhead »

Sierra Trading Post has zipper pants between $20 - $50. Then I treated them with Permthrin. I'll be up there next week and I hope it works!
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

Lane wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:35 pm thanks Ingo, I imagine it's pretty wet in some spots, looks like 3 mile > LR > MCC > LC or Daisy > back to RH, unless we get in early enough to make daisy heading out the first night, I imagine the 'ranger talk' and permit may take a good half hour? But if we get out of RH by 5PM we should make it to Daisy for night one... does that route have potential for wet ankles?
All depends on the weather. You might bring gaiters and not need them, or you might not and dearly wish you had--can't say until you're there. There have also been a couple times I wished I had them (but didn't) just because of the dew on the bushes in the morning. But besides mud/water, they (a) help keep debris out your boots/shoes as you hike and (b) protect your ankles/shins from low brush if you're in shorts. I've survived fine all my life without them, and you will too, but appreciated having them on my last trip--certainly made it more comfortable and probably saved me from some blisters.

Sounds like you're taking the Ranger III out--you'll register and do orientation on the boat. But I would plan on 3 Mile night 1 anyways. Daisy Farm would be really pushing it leaving late in the afternoon. Relax and enjoy :).
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH