Gaiters

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

HikerGal
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Gaiters

Post by HikerGal »

I am heading to IR the mid to end of May, starting at Windigo and heading towards the north side of the island. I am thinking I may want to invest in a pair of gaiters. I wear over the ankle height hiking boots. I know quite a few people seem to wear DG gaiters but I am concerned they will not keep me dry. Any lightweight, waterproof suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
MAWalker
NewbieCake

Re: Gaiters

Post by MAWalker »

I really like my Outdoor Research gaiters, have worn them for about ten years with low trail shoes and they still look new. I keep thinking I’ll re-treat them with Nikwax but they’ve yet to need it. Mine are mid-calf but they also make knee-length styles.
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

I've only used gaiters once, on an end-of-May IR trip and was very glad I did. I wondered the same thing you did, since I didn't want to invest in truly waterproof ones. I ended up getting the OR Rocky Mt high ones and they worked great, even keeping water out of my boots the few times it was over the top. Obviously if you just stood there water would get it in, but they handled stepping through the deeper holes like a champ. DGs have a good rep too, so I'd think they'd perform as well. In any case, I'd highly recommend using some sort of gaiters, esp that time of year.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

midmay I'd go with something burlier--higher and sturdier/more waterproof-- than DirtyGirls. Looking toward the Minong in early June, I blew my REI dividend on these:

https://kahtoola.com/product/levagaiter-gtx/

but I haven't field tested them yet . . . Let's compare notes later this summer, because this is one of life's great questions!
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

I'd like opinions about rain pants vs. gaiters. I've never used gaiters, always going with rain pants. I find the pants useful to protect higher up on my legs, and I don't mind the long pants (I rarely wear shorts). The rain pants also protect socks and the tops of my boots, although they don't cinch down with a heel strap like gaiters would.

So, used with above-ankle boots, is there a significant benefit to the gaiters?
HikerGal
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 17

Post by HikerGal »

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. I have decided to try the Kahtoola gaiters also. I've not used gaiters in the past but I am thinking it is going to be muddy and very possibly snowy on the trails. I had a very bad experience with rain running down my pants and into my boots during one of my adventures to the island in July. I do not want to have that experience in May and I am hoping gaiters are the answer. I hate to add one more item into my pack but I have a feeling I will be wearing them more than carrying them. I will report back if they were worth the added weight.
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

dcclark wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:10 am I'd like opinions about rain pants vs. gaiters.
Two considerations in favor of gaiters:

They raise the bar for how deep the mud needs to be before it seeps over the top of your footwear.

THEY KEEP YOUR SHOELACES CLEAN! (Of course, they themselves get dirty, but typically they can be donned and doffed in fewer football moves than shoes need.)
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

torpified wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:27 am
dcclark wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:10 am I'd like opinions about rain pants vs. gaiters.
Two considerations in favor of gaiters:
They raise the bar for how deep the mud needs to be before it seeps over the top of your footwear.
THEY KEEP YOUR SHOELACES CLEAN! (Of course, they themselves get dirty, but typically they can be donned and doffed in fewer football moves than shoes need.)
Agree, but if it isn't overly muddy and you don't mind wearing rain pants then I don't think gaiters don't offer much more. Pants also protect you from the high thimbleberries. Personally I hate hiking in rain pants and only do it when it's cold enough to be a safety issue if I can't get dry.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
Midnight Barbecue
NewbieCake

Post by Midnight Barbecue »

Are these recommended in late August as well?