Detailed IR maps

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Detailed IR maps

Post by johnhens »

If you are looking for detailed IR maps (multiple maps) than the TI/NG 240 you might try these:
https://www.michigantrailmaps.com/trail-maps/
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Re: Detailed IR maps

Post by jrwiesz »

I met Jim DuFresne in 2009; doesn't seem like ten years this September.
He, and his daughter were just getting that maps site started.
He was solo on the Isle, to update his trail guide book. I made the Grace Creek Overlook photo in the 4th edition.
As he snapped several photos of me, as we hiked the Feldmann lake trail.
That's when I hauled 50# pack/gear weight. OUCH!
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR

Post by thesneakymonkey »

they make great maps. It is nice to see a set of the island now. I have a lot of their other maps. They are always accurate and well detailed.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

thesneakymonkey wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:55 pm they make great maps. It is nice to see a set of the island now. I have a lot of their other maps. They are always accurate and well detailed.
Good to know!!
torpified
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 6

Post by torpified »

jrwiesz wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:36 pm I made the Grace Creek Overlook photo in the 4th edition.
As he snapped several photos of me, as we hiked the Feldmann lake trail.
That's when I hauled 50# pack/gear weight. OUCH!
I just looked you up. Even your backpack is carrying a backpack!
jrwiesz
May actually live on IR

Post by jrwiesz »

torpified,
Funny thing; that smaller pack, a "Marmot fanny pack", was the same pack Jim DuFresne was carrying for his day hike.
I had just resupplied with a, premailed, 10 day(20#), food drop at Windigo. I met Jim at the Windigo visitors center
I spent 21 days, enjoying :D , that occasion to the Isle; meeting/hiking with Jim Dufresne was only surpassed, by the sighting of three wolves while hiking up a ridge between Moskey Basin camp and into Daisy Farm, later on in the journey 8)
When the updated trail guide was published the next year, it felt like, I had made the cover of "Rolling Stone" magazine :!: I was now a HIKER :mrgreen:
At that time, I believe, the were only a few of Isle Royale trails on the above mentioned web site; now, they are all available. I like them.
I'm contemplating ordering the "Manistee River trail/NCT trail loop" map; I already have the "Jordan River loop trail" map, I now need to use it! :shock:
I also need to get back to,

Isle Royale Rocks!
"And standing on the the crest of the Greenstone Ridge, I suddenly had this desire to retreat north to where I just come, to stay in the backcountry, to spend another day in a place where the only deadline I had was to pitch the tent before dark."
Jim DuFresne