Water filter

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

seymourdunn
NewbieCake

Re: Water filter

Post by seymourdunn »

dcclark wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:27 pm Gravity filters are so very, very worth it. I have a Platypus GravityWorks and even bring it with me on solo trips.
Any luck getting them to fully dry? Definitely don't want these to mold up on me!
Grizzly22
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by Grizzly22 »

dcclark wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:27 pm Gravity filters are so very, very worth it. I have a Platypus GravityWorks and even bring it with me on solo trips.
I also use the GravityWorks filtration system. I love using it and had no trouble on any of my previous trips. The bags make a nice source of additional water capacity if you need more water storage for a long days hike with few water sources.

Seymordunn- I have been worried about the same issue but have found that if you store the filters properly after a trip, you can prevent any issues that may arise. Prior to storing, I run a solution of 3-4 drops of bleach in a little over a liter of water, run that through the filter, let it sit for an hour, and then backflush it back through. In addition I wash all of the hoses and water bags with warm soapy water for good measure. After doing all of this, I unscrew the filter and leave everything out to completely dry which can take anywhere from a few days to two weeks depending on the season. After all that I store it up to use for my next trip. I have never ran into a mold issue and have had my platypus filter for about three years now. I hope this helps!
Bobcat1
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 8

Post by Bobcat1 »

I do as described above, but additionally dry my filter open, but in the refrigerator to discourage mold while it’s drying. Once it’s fully dry, thenI store it with the rest of the kit.
22 WC-HC-BCZ20-WC
19 RH-ML-TI-RH by kayak
16 RH-DF-MB-TI-RH-3M-RH by kayak
09 RH-DF-MC-TH-HL-SD-WC
00 WC-IM-WC
96 WC-FL-SB-SD-HL-CE-3M-RH
94 RH-DF-MB-3M-RH
92 RH-DF-LR-CW-HL-SD-IM-WC
dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

I dry my filter just as Grizzly described. I don't dry it in the fridge, but in a cool, dark, dry place with at least a little air circulation (basically an interior room of the house). I also tilt the filter element itself up on an angle to encourage water to drain out, and then reverse it every now and then. Not hard to do -- every few days, or whenever I think about it, I flip it.
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

Coolkat wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:44 pm
I have never considered gravity filters. I know that a lot of people love them but usually when I want water I'm on the move and don't want to take the time. But this trip will be with newbies so maybe taking a little extra time will be ok.
Your Sawyer Squeeze can do double duty as a gravity filter too. On my platypus set up, I've started using a Sawyer mini instead of the platy replacement filter. It's a little slower, but it's measured in minutes. 4L in 15-20 minutes instead of 5 minutes. The squeeze would be even faster. In the morning, I pull the tubing on the gravity set up and put the mini in a pocket with the dirty bag it comes with.

Base654
Bushwacker
Isle Royale Visits: 15

Post by Base654 »

This came up in a different thread, but is worth noting here also. Many of the gravity filters use the same hollow fiber membrane system and can stop working in the off season just from water drying and leaving minerals behind. I stopped carrying the back flush syringe for my Sawyer Squeeze system because I never used it in the many trips I made. Of course, one or two trips later my filter only filtered at a trickle. No big deal, I switched to my backup Sawyer Mini. It ran even slower. On this particular trip I also brought a Sawyer Micro for field testing. It was brand new so it worked fine, albeit slow and I got through my trip. I thought I would be able to back flush with a bladder, but I forgot my math... I couldn't develop nearly as much pressure as I could with the syringe, even by half standing on the bladder. After returning home, just before I cut the filters in half, I gave a push on the back flush syringe and it fixed it instantly.

Moral of the story: check it at home and take the back flush stuff.

A few other thoughts:

The syringe Sawyer sends has the tip that connects to IV tubing, it is a bit of a pain to use. Stop at the local pharmacy and get the same syringe with a mini funnel end on it, commonly called a Tumi (too-me). I don't know why they ship the one they do.

If your filter has push on connectors, take it to the hardware store and pick up a length of tubing which you can chop up for adapters.

If you hang your system, a long drop will increase pressure on the system and substantially reduce filter time. (i.e. a longer tubing in the picture Hooky provided)

If you get the adapter set for the Sawyer systems, you can thread bags onto both ends of their filters. then while sitting at a table one can just tuck the dirty bag under a leg for hands free pressure.

A $22 Sawyer Mini makes a nice backup
odd man out
LNT Expert

Post by odd man out »

I use the HydroBlue Versaflow filter. It is basically the same as a Sawyer, but with the advantage that it has threads on both sides. So you can set it up for gravity filtration with no adaptors and you can back flush just by squeezing water backwards through the filter from your threaded clean water receiver.
BerrySlayer
NewbieCake
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Post by BerrySlayer »

For 25+ years I’ve used the General Ecology FIRST NEED water purifier. Pioneered comparable technology to that currently utilized by MSR miniworks and remains superior because unlike MSR it finishes with activate carbon (lots) and charged surfaces thereby essentially pulling anything disagreeable aside from brine and leaving you with nearly perfect water for hiking purposes. It does weigh a pound, more when wet, and I splice in a cheap MSR pre-filter to extend life, but the FIRST NEED is worth the weight: 7 continents (two weeks plus on the Antarctic continent climbing glaciers and an earlier visit for the wildlife), 50 states, and 100+ countries including the Galapagos for a month, solo motorcycle trip across Africa, skydiving solo across ex-Soviet Union – I have an aircraft fetish – etc. I pair this with a Sea-to-Summit bucket, wait for the sediment to settle, and then pump. I am ultralight to very light, but the FIRST NEED and soft bucket has served me well and I carry them. Also, Platypus Tank – honestly I don’t know what the negative squaking is about, if you take the time to align the “zipper” it holds. Apply olive oil if this makes you happier, Illiada Greek olive oil is the only oil I apply to my gear.
CincyIRNPer
NewbieCake

Post by CincyIRNPer »

Hi all-

I'll be coming to the island in August for the first time and am in my final prep stages, but just noticed today that the Park website recommends both filtration AND chemical treatment. HERE: https://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/ ... -water.htm]

Any thoughts here? We were just planning to bring our Sawyer Mini as our primary + Sawyer Squeeze as a backup, but this has me thrown. Do folks just ignore this guidance? Seems like filtration + iodine backup is common, but not both as a primary method. Any guidance would be appreciated.

-QM
Ingo
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by Ingo »

CincyIRNPer wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:26 pm Hi all-

I'll be coming to the island in August for the first time and am in my final prep stages, but just noticed today that the Park website recommends both filtration AND chemical treatment. HERE: https://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/ ... -water.htm]

Any thoughts here? We were just planning to bring our Sawyer Mini as our primary + Sawyer Squeeze as a backup, but this has me thrown. Do folks just ignore this guidance? Seems like filtration + iodine backup is common, but not both as a primary method. Any guidance would be appreciated.

-QM
I just filter, and think that's the norm. The park service changed the recommendation from "or" to "AND" chemical treatment in the last couple years, but don't know of anything that changed in the water supply, so presume it was out of an abundance of caution. So it really comes down to how risk adverse you are or aren't, IMO.
22: BI-PC-BI-RH, 21: RH-ML-DF-MB-DF, 18: MC-PC-BI-DB-RH-DF, 17: WI-IM-SB-FL-WC, 16: RH-CI-TI-RH, 14: BI-ML-CI-CH-MB, 13: RH-PI, 12: MC-CB-HL-TH, 11: WC-HC-WC, 09: MC-BI-DN-RH, 05: MI-CI-MB-DF-RH-TM-RH, 02: MC-LR-WL-CH, 01: BI-DB-RH, 79: worked RH
CincyIRNPer
NewbieCake

Post by CincyIRNPer »

Thank you! i was hoping this was the case. sounds like a plan to me. Gatorade powder should take care of any extra crud that the filter doesn't catch anyway :P
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

CincyIRNPer wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:26 pm Hi all-

-QM
With the Sawyer filters, you're good. I'm unaware of any US or Canadian wilderness destinations that requires anything beyond those.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Just got back. Only used the sawyer squeeze. I brought some aquamira and never opened it. I just wanted it just in case the Rangers said I NEEDED to use it. No issues with just using the sawyer. Won’t be bringing the aquamira again.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

I brought a Platypus gravity filter this trip. I also had my Basecamp filter (gravity) that uses a ceramic cartridge. We have been using this filter for a while and it has been reliable. I tried it at home ( helps to soak the cartridge) and it worked ok. Ran water through the cartridge ( new cartridge) upon getting to camp the first day. It was v-e-r-y slow. I scrubbed the cartridge and tried it again, same result. I set up the Platypus and after the cartridge was wet, I was amazed at how quickly it filtered 4 L of water, less than 2 minutes. A few days later I was reading the tag on the bag and it mentioned backfiltering the cartridge with clean water, so i did that 2x while out there. When I got home, I backfiltered and used a syringe to force water through then ran bleach through the filter and then tap water and let it dry before putting it away. Love the performence of the filter and not having to pump is nice!!
hooky
IR Expert

Post by hooky »

johnhens wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:20 am I brought a Platypus gravity filter this trip. I also had my Basecamp filter (gravity) that uses a ceramic cartridge. We have been using this filter for a while and it has been reliable. I tried it at home ( helps to soak the cartridge) and it worked ok. Ran water through the cartridge ( new cartridge) upon getting to camp the first day. It was v-e-r-y slow. I scrubbed the cartridge and tried it again, same result. I set up the Platypus and after the cartridge was wet, I was amazed at how quickly it filtered 4 L of water, less than 2 minutes. A few days later I was reading the tag on the bag and it mentioned backfiltering the cartridge with clean water, so i did that 2x while out there. When I got home, I backfiltered and used a syringe to force water through then ran bleach through the filter and then tap water and let it dry before putting it away. Love the performence of the filter and not having to pump is nice!!
Just used my 4L platypus on a canoe trip last week. It's always nice to fill the dirty bag, set up camp and then come back to a gallon of clean water. When the platy filter goes, consider replacing it with a sawyer mini. It takes a little longer, but it's rated for more usage at about 60% of the cost of the platy filter cartridge.