Pre-memorial day fuel availability - Windigo

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Kobermiller
NewbieCake

Pre-memorial day fuel availability - Windigo

Post by Kobermiller »

Hello all,

First time to the forum, about ready to be on the seaplane for my first ever trip to Isle Royale for a 6 night trip (my wife and I). We'll be arriving from MN via sea plane to Windigo this month on Saturday the 25th. We have a MSR whisperlite for our cooking needs and understand that we can't bring fuel (only empty bottles) on the plane with us to the island. Now I've read and will definitely attempt to follow up a phone call to the windigo visitor center this week, but will they have camping fuel available for purchase since it seems likely the store will not be open yet (or will it)?
Chorizo
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 19

Re: Pre-memorial day fuel availability - Windigo

Post by Chorizo »

Welcome. Some good info in this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3852
Capt Don
IR Pro
Isle Royale Visits: 546

Post by Capt Don »

We always have extra in our office in Grand Portage. Depending on how much you might need or type, we normally just give it away at no charge. Just let us know and we can coordinate it.
Kobermiller
NewbieCake

Post by Kobermiller »

Capt Don,

That would be great, the stove we use can run on basically any fuel type (white gas, coleman fuel, kerosene, 93 octane) and since the parks are busy and I can't seem to get a hold of anyone I may take you up on your offer. I'll reach out to your email to coordinate.