Re: Cook Kit Storage Question

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

dcclark
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 4

Post by dcclark »

Edit: OP (now deleted) asked about storing Iso cans in cook sets, and whether this could cause leaks.

I've done this myself for years, and I've never had an Iso can leak. They are made of good solid steel. To allow the pressurized gas out, there is a gasket that has to be pressed deeply in a very small, very specific inset in the top of the can. The mount where a stove screws on to the can is designed to protect this area. It's pretty much impossible to let out gas in any other way.
Last edited by dcclark on Wed May 22, 2019 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Don't recall any cannister leaking in the manner you suggest. Many who do long trail hikes carry their fuel this way.
Tom
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 16

Post by Tom »

I tend to use a tea-pot instead of Jetboil setup, so in my case, the canister doesn't fit (I put the cookstove in there) so I just carry that in a pack pouch. However, it's very common to see it carried in the cookset. If it leaked, most would depart as a gas, anyway.
If you're super obsessive, though, you can read up on the National Library of Medicine Toxnet entry on it: https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/ ... @DOCNO+608
Realize formulations can vary, but it seems as if asphyxiation/inhalation is the most common risk..
johnhens
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 34

Post by johnhens »

Tom wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:18 am I tend to use a tea-pot instead of Jetboil setup, so in my case, the canister doesn't fit (I put the cookstove in there) so I just carry that in a pack pouch. However, it's very common to see it carried in the cookset. If it leaked, most would depart as a gas, anyway.
If you're super obsessive, though, you can read up on the National Library of Medicine Toxnet entry on it: https://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/ ... @DOCNO+608
Realize formulations can vary, but it seems as if asphyxiation/inhalation is the most common risk..
Good info!!
IncaRoads
Forum Moderator
Isle Royale Visits: 14

Post by IncaRoads »

The original post in this thread has been deleted because it is potentially a sleeper spam post; looks legitimate but poster may come back later and enter a link in the text or signature. After searching the web for key words in the original post, I located a post in another forum that was the same word for word. If you see a post from a 1st time poster that looks legit, but doesn't mention anything about Isle Royale, you may want to hold off initially replying, and give the mods/administrators time to identify if the post is spam or potential spam.