Carrying Water

Questions about equipment and supplies to bring on a trip (including reviews).

Moderator: hooky

Duffy Moon
LNT Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 1

Re: Carrying Water

Post by Duffy Moon »

booyah wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:34 pm I've used a few dry bags as portable buckets or sinks for a few years. Filter water, do laundry, bath as needed. Great tools for the job, light weight, and they have a handy carry handle.
That's thinking outside the box. So, in this instance, the "dry bag" keeps everything outside the bag dry, by keeping the water in? Clever.
thesneakymonkey
May actually live on IR
Isle Royale Visits: 3

Post by thesneakymonkey »

Duffy Moon wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:57 am
thesneakymonkey wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:57 pm We used a collapsible bucket on the island. Worked for us. Sea to summit makes it. We just have the small one. Carried back to camp or used it at the dock. Both were nice.
Pretty sure I saw y'all using that on your youtube series. Which, I'm also pretty sure, is what gave me the idea.
Thanks for that! We very much enjoyed seeing the island through your lenses. Keeps us in anticipation until we get there ourselves.
Hey Duffy Moon, thanks for the kind words! You are correct the bucket is visible in both of our island video series! haha. Thanks for watching. Glad you found the bucket useful. More videos to come!
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

JerryB wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:57 am On a related note, I have always had difficulty filling the Sawyer bag, even from a moving stream. I know use a one liter plastic pop bottle. I cut off the top three inches or so and put some duct tape around the sharp rip. I use this to scoop water into the Sawyer. A bonus: the empty bag and filter fit neatly inside the bottle.
I just use the "Sawyer Swoosh" method as I call it.

Hold it by the plastic tabs under the thread and swoosh it forward in the water a couple of times. Viola! Full bag.
bighammer
NewbieCake

Post by bighammer »

I have used the Sawyer Mini on my 3L bladder in my pack for a number of years. Great for just filling the bladder and drinking on-demand, but slow for filtering water for dinner or coffee. My son recently bought the Sawyer Squeeze and it's WAY easier to use. He bought a pair of 1.5L Smart Water bottles and the filter screws right on. You can drink directly from it, or squeeze the bottle to pour our out filtered water.
hooky
IR Expert
Isle Royale Visits: 2

Post by hooky »

bighammer wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:27 pm I have used the Sawyer Mini on my 3L bladder in my pack for a number of years. Great for just filling the bladder and drinking on-demand, but slow for filtering water for dinner or coffee. My son recently bought the Sawyer Squeeze and it's WAY easier to use. He bought a pair of 1.5L Smart Water bottles and the filter screws right on. You can drink directly from it, or squeeze the bottle to pour our out filtered water.
I love them both and am a big proponent of them. They'll screw onto any standard plastic bottle. for short trips or day hikes, we use a 2L bottle for dirty water and each person has a 20 oz soda bottle for clean. If the 2L goes south, we can always use the soda bottle as dirty and drink from the filter. I've never had one of the bags blow out at the seams, but I've heard of that happening.